jordanianprincess

Can I get married on a K1?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

I have been noticing many people talk about processing K-1 and K-3 visas at the same time here. I'm currently processing a K-1 but I would really like to get married in Jordan, is that possible?

Jordanian Princess

~jordanian_princess~

October 19, 2006 - Interview! No Visa yet....on A/Psigns038.gif

ticker.png

Jordanian Cat

jordaniancat.jpg

yes, if u forget about the K1....marry in jordan, then refile a k3, or cr1 from the states or from Jordan....a requirement of a k1 is that the foreign spouse must enter the US unmarried...but getting married voids out the k1....

Filed DCF in Jordan from 7-05 to 3-06, Approved for I-R1.

Immigration Free until 2008.

Two Hearts, Two Different Places, Sharing One Dream

We were strangers~ Starting out on a journey~Never dreaming What we'd have to go through ~Now here we are ~ And I'm suddenly standing ~ At the beginning with you ~ No one told me I was going to find you ~ Unexpected ~ What you did to my heart ~ When I lost hope You were there to remind me ~ This is the start ~ Life is a road And I want to keep going ~ Love is a river I wanna keep flowing ~ Life is a road Now and forever ~ Wonderful journey ~ I'll be there When the world stops turning~ I'll be there When the storm is through ~ In the end I wanna be standing At the beginning with you~

.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Some of us chose to have non official weddings while processing the K-1. Due to my husband and my religious beliefs, we didn't want to live in the same apartment in Cairo without being married, so we had a small religious ceremony with no paperwork and no government intervention. We also were careful not to mention this to the visa people, since there are horror stories on this board of people who are turned back as they try to enter the US on a fiance visa when there is evidence of any kind of marriage.

However, as dollface said, if you want to get legally married in Jordan, you'd abandon the K-1, since it's only for people who are fiances.

If you'd like a wedding in Jordan, you can bring your fiance to the US, get legally married here, and apply for AOS (adjustment of status) and AP (advanced parole). Once AP is granted, you both can travel back to Jordan and have a wedding party there.

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

That's exactly what I am looking for, a wedding. This is more for personal belief than anything else. It's also alot cheaper to get married there and his entire family and mine would be present. So would I just have to ask for a religious ceremony vs. legal marriage?

~jordanian_princess~

October 19, 2006 - Interview! No Visa yet....on A/Psigns038.gif

ticker.png

Jordanian Cat

jordaniancat.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
That's exactly what I am looking for, a wedding. This is more for personal belief than anything else. It's also alot cheaper to get married there and his entire family and mine would be present. So would I just have to ask for a religious ceremony vs. legal marriage?

It's kind of tricky. I don't know the specificities of Jordan, but in Egypt, my husband had to search for months to find someone who was willing to marry us religiously but not legally. I think ME countries worry about young people getting "married" to shack up, to ease their guilt. Then, when the "marriage" breaks up, the girl is viewed as a ####### without legal protection. As such, in Egypt, it's technically illegal to get married religiously without also registering it with the state.

I wouldn't recommend a huge wedding ceremony with all the pomp and circumstance. It would draw a lot of attention from authorities, who might question why it's not be registered. It can also get you in trouble with the US immigration people who might not buy that it was just religious and not legally binding. That, of course, is presuming that one should get married legally in Jordan along with the religious marriage.

Our marriage was small, 3 minutes with two of his friends as witnesses, and then a paper we drew up ourselves alone. There was nothing to alert the people at the embassy or immigration that we were married. I would have been screwed in the legal sense if our marriage hadn't worked out, because I wouldn't have any avenues of demanding compensation or support. Alhamduilah my husband is a decent guy :thumbs:

In the end, it's a gamble. If you want the whole shibang with both families present, I'd definately lean towards waiting until he's here, filed for the AOS and got his AP and then head back for the ceremony.

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.