workin4somethin

Question Re: 3-Year Russian Tourist Visa

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Getting ready to apply for a 3-year tourist visa to Russia and wondering about whether there is any problem staying beyond the 30 days stated on the initial invitation I use to get the visa. Anybody been through this yet?

Also, after the 1st visit, are subsequent invitations necessary for future trips?

from Andrew

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

Getting ready to apply for a 3-year tourist visa to Russia and wondering about whether there is any problem staying beyond the 30 days stated on the initial invitation I use to get the visa. Anybody been through this yet?

Also, after the 1st visit, are subsequent invitations necessary for future trips?

what 30 days limit are you talking about?

once you receive a 3 year visa, you can travel in and out of Russia whenever you want. each entry, you can stay a maximum of 3 months. you must then leave, and then you can return for another 3 months. you can do this for 3 years until your visa expires.

you only need an invitation one time to receive the visa. when your visa expires, to receive a new visa, you will need a new invitation.

Edited by P A U L

Filed: Timeline

what 30 days limit are you talking about?

once you receive a 3 year visa, you can travel in and out of Russia whenever you want. each entry, you can stay a maximum of 3 months. you must then leave, and then you can return for another 3 months. you can do this for 3 years until your visa expires.

you only need an invitation one time to receive the visa. when your visa expires, to receive a new visa, you will need a new invitation.

What does it take to get a 3 year visa? Is it any different than the regular visa process?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

have a look here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/414532-3-year-russian-visa-accepted/

i've only applied once so i don't know if it's a different process. i think it's just a matter of telling the Russian consulate "i want a 3 year visa" instead of "i want a visa".

compared to the K-1 petition process.... applying for a russian visa is BY FAR the easiest thing ever.

Edited by P A U L

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

Actually, i wouldn't be so sure about this. From what i see in the http://www.ils-usa.com/general-information/ (and this is the site the Russian embassy sends you to, so it's fairly official): "For multiple entry visa 1 year visa, foreign citizens can stay in Russia no more than 90 days (total or continuous) during a period of 180 days, 3 year visa – no more than 6 month within a year period. In case of violation of this rule there is the liability provided in accordance with Russian law, until the ban of entry to the Russian Federation."

Although, the Russian embassy site says "effective September 9, 2012 the US citizens shall as a rule be issued multiple-entry business, private, humanitarian and tourist visas for a stay of no more than 6 months starting from the date of each entry that are valid for three years (36 months) from the date of issue of the visa." Ok, it's getting kind of confusing now.

I'm the beneficiary.

....................................................................................................................................................................

Don't have a timeline? Don't know how to get started with it? Do it for the statistics sake: VJ video guide

Filing for a USC spouse visa (IR-1/CR-1) and not sure what comes next? Check out the VJ IR-1/CR-1 guide

Want to know what's happening with your case? Here's the USCIS tracking page (get an account and see if the case's been 'touched'!). Don't get your hopes up though, some cases never even appear there despite being successfully processed.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

no matter, when i'm in Russia...i'm just thinking about how soon i can return to the U.S.

And when I am in America, I am thinking how soon I can return to Russia

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Actually, i wouldn't be so sure about this. From what i see in the http://www.ils-usa.com/general-information/ (and this is the site the Russian embassy sends you to, so it's fairly official): "For multiple entry visa 1 year visa, foreign citizens can stay in Russia no more than 90 days (total or continuous) during a period of 180 days, 3 year visa – no more than 6 month within a year period. In case of violation of this rule there is the liability provided in accordance with Russian law, until the ban of entry to the Russian Federation."

Although, the Russian embassy site says "effective September 9, 2012 the US citizens shall as a rule be issued multiple-entry business, private, humanitarian and tourist visas for a stay of no more than 6 months starting from the date of each entry that are valid for three years (36 months) from the date of issue of the visa." Ok, it's getting kind of confusing now.

The multiple entry 3-year tourist visa I have says on it that it's good for stays for up to 6 months. I believe that is the maximum per year though but the visa doesn't actually say that on it. This is consistant with both of the sections you quote above though.

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

The multiple entry 3-year tourist visa I have says on it that it's good for stays for up to 6 months. I believe that is the maximum per year though but the visa doesn't actually say that on it. This is consistant with both of the sections you quote above though.

I received the new 3 year visa in October of last year. From what it says on the visa itself it is good for a total of 182 days in three years. Multiple entries but still says 182 days beside the 'M'. So I'm assuming that's all the time you get? Not sure about length of stay per visit though?

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I received the new 3 year visa in October of last year. From what it says on the visa itself it is good for a total of 182 days in three years. Multiple entries but still says 182 days beside the 'M'. So I'm assuming that's all the time you get? Not sure about length of stay per visit though?

Good luck with your visa dilemma. I haven't dealt with Russian visas in awhile but when I was doing the via shuffle I found the forums on this site useful, and they had pretty accurate information: www.expat.ru (the political forums are fun too but be careful because they get heated, fast!). I also looked at the web sites of the Russian embassy in Washington DC and the ministry of Foreign Affairs in Russia. If you don't know Russian you can ask your girl to visit the latter site. Of course the issue with the embassy and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs is:

transparency is lacking

rules are worded awkwardly, such that even native Russian speakers can have trouble understanding

rules/laws are listed but procedures aren't; you usually must call to glean this information

Sometimes even you do all your homework and the bureacracy can still bite you since the whole "checks and balances" and "rule of law" systems are still so shaky. I did all the visa research once, got to the Russian embassy in Kiev, and the bureaucrat still demanded a document that I knew wasn't required. Long story short, turns out she just wanted a bribe so I gave it to her in her roundabout way.

Depending on your plans with this girl and your work situation you might want to consider other visa options. After getting business visas multiple times (back when they JUST switched the business visa limit from a year to three months!) and travelling to Kiev on the 1500 ruble Moscow-Kiev overnight platzkart train every ninety days to renew my visa, at the end I got a job at a legit school that gave me a renewable year long "teacher's" work visa. I don't even think you can get visas outside the US anymore (I think that rule changed out of reciprocity since Russians can't go to the US embassy in for example Canada or Mexico to get new visas). In any case my point is if this tourist visa gets too annoying, remember that you've got other visa options.

Good luck and drink a couple Baltika 5's (the dark one) for me while you're over there!

• 1 month later...
Timeline

The limit is per year, so you can stay 6 months in every one year period as I stated above.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.