Jump to content

Please help!


4 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi there!

I have been planning my overseas experience for many

months now. As a Nz citizen I intend on flying to Vancouver, picking up a vehicle, visiting Alaska for ideally for 3-4 months, dropping back down into Canada where I will start a pre approved IEC work holiday for a year. Entering Canada initially and when I return from Alaska, I need to show I have an onwards ticket. So I intended on getting a bus ticket to Seattle. As this can always be

Changed to a different date when my Canada work holiday is approved.... Problem:

If I enter Alaska as a Nz"er on the VISA WAVER PROGRAMME, when I leave, will my Seattle bus ticket suffice as a means of showing the entry officer I Intend on

Leaving? I ask because I've read online that entering USA again ( into seattle ) won't be allowed on VWP, because leaving Alaska into Canada isnt seen as leaving USA. It states i need to leave offshore completely. Does this mean I need a multi entry permit?

Opportunity may arise while working in Canada to visit yellowstone etc for pleasure also. highly stressful and confusing I hope some educated person out there can offer some advice!

Thank you so much!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico

You have probably read this, but in case you haven't:


A couple of things:

VWP is only for visits 90 days or less, so your initial plan to be in Alaska 3 - 4 months needs to be reviewed.

You don't need to be "offshore" since VMP also covers land crossings, and Alaska-Canada-Washington is OK so long as you are within the original 90 day period, and the stay in Canada is short.

You will be far better off to get a multi entry visa, however, since you will be beyond the 90 day limit for VWP at some point along the way and will eitehr have overstayed, or will be refused entry if the 90 days has elapsed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Filed: Other Timeline


So would a safe option to ensure my OE goes ahead, be this:?

Purchase a one way ticket from Nz to London, with a stop in Vancouver, upon which I'll drive up to Alaska, stay for 90 days on VWP, re-enter Canada and start my one year work holiday, and move my London flight out several months accordingly? Does doing it this way ensure I'm not overstaying anywhere? If during my Canada work holiday I wanted to enter the lower 48, would I be able to?

Thanks again! I can't wait to know the best


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Filed: Timeline

One of the requirements of using the VWP is that you have an onward ticket out of the US, Canada, Mexico and/or the Caribbean. Unless you legally reside there. So for instance, if you're an NZ citizen, but you legally reside in Canada, you can still use the VWP and the onward rule does not apply if your return/onward ticket is back to Canada.

How they define "legally reside" I don't know. But if you are on a working holiday visa, I would probably actually inquire with the US embassy in Wellington. (Auckland?)

If not, this is one of those scenarios where I'd probably consider getting a B-2 tourist visa (which will allow you more time in Alaska as well - up to 6 months).

Here's the thing: When you enter Alaska, all will be fine. The CBP will stamp 90 days in your passport. However, when you leave Alaska, and try to re-enter the US in Washington, the CBP will not give you a new 90 days, but rather stamp your passport with whatever remaining days you have left on your original 90 days from when you entered Alaska - Because you've only been in Canada in the meantime. I actually don't know if you'd be able to enter the US again during your time in Canada. It's all up to whether or not the working holiday visa is considered by the US as you "residing" in Canada.

Edited by Jay Jay
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...