enro9999

Why does AOS take so long?

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi,

Just wanted to get a sense of why Adjustment of Status would take this long -- in my case, over 60 days since our interview.

I know there are biometrics, background checks, all that stuff. My interview went well; the officer seemed to find nothing wrong with our case and said it was just a matter of running it by her supervisor.

Is it just backlog, or is there a reason to be concerned about some other kind of problem?

Thanks for any responses.

I'm confused, what are you waiting on? Aos ? Like your greencard? Have you checked online for your latest status ?

ROC Time line

Dec 18 Package sent

Dec 19 Package received at VSC

Dec 23 Checks cleared

Dec 27 NOA1 received- Dated 12/23/2014

April 2- Biometrics completed

August 24- Update from USICS "My card is being produced"

September 3- Green Card in Hand!

AOS Time line
Nov 5- Medical evaluation with Civil Surgeon. TB skin test & Blood test administered
Nov 7- Medically cleared. I 693 form sign and sealed
Day 0 Nov 9- AOS Package delivered to Chicago. Signed by S. Bush at 10:26 C.T
Day 5 Nov 14- Email/ text notifications received at 21:17 C.T (Official receipt notice Form I 797 to follow in mail)
Day 7 Nov 16- Checks cleared
Day10 Nov 19- I- 797C (for I 130, I 485, I 131 & I 765) Received in hard copy mail
Day 17 Nov 26- I- 797C (for Biometrics appointment) Received in hard copy mail
Day 19 Nov 28- Walk-in Biometrics attempt: Successful. Lubbock, TX ASC. 1000-1013
Day 71 Jan 19- I- 797C Interview appointment letter. Feb 19 at local USCIS field office
Day 77 Jan 29- EAD/AP combo card received. DPS unable to issue renewal or license. S.A.V.E verification required
Day 91 Feb 12- DL renewed. Applied for SSN - pending S.A.V.E verification
Day 98 Feb 19- AOS interview & approval !!!!!!!
Day 108 March 1- Green Card in Hand!

Timeline

I'm confused, what are you waiting on? Aos ? Like your greencard? Have you checked online for your latest status ?

Yes, green card. Had my interview for my I-485. I've been married to a US citizen for over 3 years.

Okay then call USCIS or enter your receipt # at the check status list and since its been more than 60 days you should check up on it

ROC Time line

Dec 18 Package sent

Dec 23 Checks cleared

AOS Time line
Nov 5- Medical evaluation with Civil Surgeon. TB skin test & Blood test administered
Day 5 Nov 14- Email/ text notifications received at 21:17 C.T (Official receipt notice Form I 797 to follow in mail)
Day10 Nov 19- I- 797C (for I 130, I 485, I 131 & I 765) Received in hard copy mail
Day 19 Nov 28- Walk-in Biometrics attempt: Successful. Lubbock, TX ASC. 1000-1013
Day 71 Jan 19- I- 797C Interview appointment letter. Feb 19 at local USCIS field office
Day 77 Jan 29- EAD/AP combo card received. DPS unable to issue renewal or license. S.A.V.E verification required

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Okay then call USCIS or enter your receipt # at the check status list and since its been more than 60 days you should check up on it

:thumbs:

Sent I-129 Application to VSC 2/1/12
NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Manila Embassy received 9/5/12
Visa appointment & approval 9/7/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012
AOS application sent 12/19/12

AOS approved 8/24/13

Timeline

:thumbs:

My lawyer told me that I should NOT call USCIS Customer Service. She said asking for a service request would delay things even more.

The two times I did call (last week was the latest), the customer service rep did not have any updates, or really, did not know anything about my case, only that it was pending.

My USCIS case status page hasn't been updated in a long time.

My lawyer told me that I should NOT call USCIS Customer Service. She said asking for a service request would delay things even more.

The two times I did call (last week was the latest), the customer service rep did not have any updates, or really, did not know anything about my case, only that it was pending.

My USCIS case status page hasn't been updated in a long time.

How would a service request delay things? Also ask for a tier 2 rep when you call. I really don't know what to tell you. You original question was why does it (the green card) take so long? It shouldn't. Or maybe it can, that is if you interview went awry or the officer found some red flags in your application/ evidence. Also if he or she did, then an RFE would have been issued.

ROC Time line

Dec 18 Package sent

Dec 23 Checks cleared

AOS Time line

Timeline

How would a service request delay things? Also ask for a tier 2 rep when you call. I really don't know what to tell you. You original question was why does it (the green card) take so long? It shouldn't. Or maybe it can, that is if you interview went awry or the officer found some red flags in your application/ evidence. Also if he or she did, then an RFE would have been issued.

I don't know how a service request would delay things -- I was wondering that myself.

The interview went fine -- the officer told me (in so many words) "OK, looks fine." Just that she had to run it by her supervisor, because I had a waiver as part of my application.

The backstory of my visa journey is that I my first I-485 application three years ago was denied.I had to apply for a waiver; which was granted last August, allowing us to resume with the adjustment of status.

I don't know how a service request would delay things -- I was wondering that myself.

The interview went fine -- the officer told me (in so many words) "OK, looks fine." Just that she had to run it by her supervisor, because I had a waiver as part of my application.

The backstory of my visa journey is that I my first I-485 application three years ago was denied.I had to apply for a waiver; which was granted last August, allowing us to resume with the adjustment of status.

Gotcha, well, like I said, since its been more than 60 days, I would have your lawyer (since you already have him/her on retainer I assume) to call on your behalf and get to the bottom of this. I understand that it can get very frustrating just waiting. it could be just a glitch on the officers part or something else, better to know for sure than not.

Best of luck!

ROC Time line

Dec 18 Package sent

Dec 23 Checks cleared

AOS Time line

If your waiver was already approved, it shouldn't hold up the AOS process.

I say this a lot on here, but if you can't get any satisfactory information from USCIS (via an InfoPass appt or service request or call to Tier 2 officer), get in touch with your senator/representative to find out what is going on. They have staff dedicated to helping you with these types of issues.

Good luck!

Timeline

smashrun

I will try that after I get in touch with my lawyer hopefully today.

I've never considered the senator/representative route before, but I will try it.

As for the call to a Tier 2 officer -- how do you actually get to speak to one?

Thanks.

If your waiver was already approved, it shouldn't hold up the AOS process.

I say this a lot on here, but if you can't get any satisfactory information from USCIS (via an InfoPass appt or service request or call to Tier 2 officer), get in touch with your senator/representative to find out what is going on. They have staff dedicated to helping you with these types of issues.

Good luck!

Hi enro,

You basically have the call the USCIS national customer service line and go through many different voice prompts to get a live person. This live person will NOT be a Tier 2 officer. You'll have to explain your issue and insist upon speaking to a Tier 2 officer. The customer service rep will not know the answer to your question (they read from scipts and don't have access to meaningful information about your case) and will try to avoid transferring you. You'll have to be persistent and insist upon speaking to a Tier 2 officer. The officer will have access to more information and may be able to at least give you an idea of what's happening with your case.

You can try searching the boards here for ways to do this...there are many threads about it. Best of luck :star:

Timeline

Thanks smashrun.

Hi enro,

You basically have the call the USCIS national customer service line and go through many different voice prompts to get a live person. This live person will NOT be a Tier 2 officer. You'll have to explain your issue and insist upon speaking to a Tier 2 officer. The customer service rep will not know the answer to your question (they read from scipts and don't have access to meaningful information about your case) and will try to avoid transferring you. You'll have to be persistent and insist upon speaking to a Tier 2 officer. The officer will have access to more information and may be able to at least give you an idea of what's happening with your case.

You can try searching the boards here for ways to do this...there are many threads about it. Best of luck :star:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.