msamulski

can a K2 visa be processed at the same time as the K1?

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I will try to search for other member-postings on this, but I would appreciate any feedback offered.

We were going to leave my fiancée's 8 year old child with her family for 3 - 6 months while she and I got married and more settled, but now we are realizing that it might be best to just go ahead and get everyone settled all at once.

Can the K2 Visa for her child be granted at the same time my fiancée is approved for her K1 Visa? Can her child travel with her and accompany her during her K1 entry to the USA?

Thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I will try to search for other member-postings on this, but I would appreciate any feedback offered.

We were going to leave my fiancée's 8 year old child with her family for 3 - 6 months while she and I got married and more settled, but now we are realizing that it might be best to just go ahead and get everyone settled all at once.

Can the K2 Visa for her child be granted at the same time my fiancée is approved for her K1 Visa? Can her child travel with her and accompany her during her K1 entry to the USA?

Thanks

Yes and yes and I highly recommend it, especially with an 8 year old. This is going to be hard enough for your wife without owrrying about her 8 year old half a world away

We have two sons, one came with Alla (age 13 at that time) the other stayed until his school year was over (age 18 at that time)

All parts of the process can be done together, visas, AOS and removal of conditions as well as citizenship. Our younger son received every benefit at the same time as Alla

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Gary's right, do the k2 at the same time as your fiancee she will be a lot happier in the long run and so will the child. At his age he will learn English quick and both make their transitions easier to the culture shock. Best of Luck.

The Buddha said "The more loving the more suffering"

By birth is not one an outcast,

By birth is not one a noble,but

By action is one an outcast,

By action is one a noble.

Buddha.

Timeline

I read that the child will not need a passport, but I also read that permission from the other parent is a K2 prerequisite. Gaining his permission might be difficult. She never married the father. He oppresses her at every opportunity, and even though he doesn't help provide for this child, he will likely obstruct my fiancée's desires in this matter.

I read that the child will not need a passport, but I also read that permission from the other parent is a K2 prerequisite. Gaining his permission might be difficult. She never married the father. He oppresses her at every opportunity, and even though he doesn't help provide for this child, he will likely obstruct my fiancée's desires in this matter.

The father will have to consent,my fiancee 1st husband passed away so I didn't have to deal with it.. As far as the passport not sure, my step kids were 13 and 15 when they arrived. Hopefully your fiancee can convince the father his child will get the best education and possibly set up a time later on to have his child visit him when he gets older. Is the father on the official Birth certificate? Might have a bearing on the consent if he's not.

The Buddha said "The more loving the more suffering"

By birth is not one an outcast,

By birth is not one a noble,but

By action is one an outcast,

By action is one a noble.

Buddha.

Timeline

The father will have to consent,my fiancee 1st husband passed away so I didn't have to deal with it.. As far as the passport not sure, my step kids were 13 and 15 when they arrived. Hopefully your fiancee can convince the father his child will get the best education and possibly set up a time later on to have his child visit him when he gets older. Is the father on the official Birth certificate? Might have a bearing on the consent if he's not.

thank you Sayha. Yes, the father's Surname is on the child's birth certificate. This might be a real problem because he doesn't want my fiancée to be happy.

He still wants her.

Timeline

All consulate/country specific. The parent letter is required in Ukraine, and in Ukraine they do not issue international passports to children under age 18, they have to be listed in the parents passport. We did both BEFORE we filed the I-129f petition. Check in the PI forum for specifics of what is required for Manilla.

Gary And Alla

Timeline

thank you Sayha. Yes, the father's Surname is on the child's birth certificate. This might be a real problem because he doesn't want my fiancée to be happy.

He still wants her.

Bribery is usaully the fastest cheapest method to obtain a signature. That is what we did. Waive all past, present and future child support (which would never be paid anyway) in return for the signature. Worked for us. In countries such as PI it is usually remarkably cheap.

get this done BEFORE you file the petition. You simply cannot, in good faith, proceed down this road until the interests of the children are protected.

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Bribery is usaully the fastest cheapest method to obtain a signature. That is what we did. Waive all past, present and future child support (which would never be paid anyway) in return for the signature. Worked for us. In countries such as PI it is usually remarkably cheap.

get this done BEFORE you file the petition. You simply cannot, in good faith, proceed down this road until the interests of the children are protected.

Gary, he has never paid a dime of child support in the past. Is there a legally binding law in the Philippines that requires an unmarried father to support his children? If there such a law, and if it can be upheld, then maybe the thought of his waiving this responsibility in the future could carry some weight.

We filed the I-129F 6 months ago. I didn't consider this to be an issue since he has been so TOTALLY uninvolved with the child.

Edited by msamulski

Timeline

as long as you know who the father is, then you need the consent of that individual. Unless he has died or you have a court order or something already in writing.......

Edited by mik2012

Timeline

Gary, he has never paid a dime of child support in the past. Is there a legally binding law in the Philippines that requires an unmarried father to support his children? If there such a law, and if it can be upheld, then maybe the thought of his waiving this responsibility in the future could carry some weight.

We filed the I-129F 6 months ago. I didn't consider this to be an issue since he has been so TOTALLY uninvolved with the child.

I am not sure about PI law, simply stating what we did as a possibility. I have read that if they were unmarried then she does not need his permission to remove the child...again, PI law. Check in the PI regional forum

Gary And Alla

Timeline

I am going to say some things for the benefit of others here. When children are involved you need to be sure of what you are doing. The law of the country your fiancee is from is the issue, not whether the father has been involved. Alla's ex was AWOL from father duties for years, you could say "always" but the law in Ukraine requires his consent OR a court order. For us it was cheaper and easier to "bribe" him with something we never had anyway. This was done and signed before the petition was filed. Alla simply would not even start down this road without assuring the children were going with her. I do not blame her and frankly would not have been interested in her as a wife if she had even considered leaving a minor child behind. I can tell you she would not consider me husband/father material if I did not put the children first and make SURE their immigration process went very smoothly.

This is a difficult enough process without the issues of leaving a child behind. Personally I feel that increases the chances of your marriage failing 10 fold at least

I have read here that PI law gives no rights to the father of a child born out of wedlock...check to make sure that is correct. This could be a non-issue for you

In order for the mother and child to have the visas processed together you are going to need whatever permission you need (if any) before you go to the visa interview

Good luck. If PI women are anything like FSU women (former Soviet Union) then being a good father and caring for the children earns you 10 times the "points" of caring for the woman. Children are a blessing and make our life so much more interesting and, well, busy. I wouldn't trade it for a million dollars

Gary And Alla

My only 12 year old kid(boy) will go with me,.. i will have to get a passport for him next week. Everyone would always recommend to bring the child if possible. Of course, for the mother's complete happiness :D ,.. My annulment papers states, the custody of the child is mine, so i guess i don't need any letter from my ex husband, i hope so,.

Edited by reginaglenn

"All my life, without a doubt i give you, all my life, now and forever till the day i die, you and i will share" By: America
                                                               == I am the beneficiary==
AOS - K1 & K2
03-04-2014 ( Day 01) - Mailed
03-06-2014 ( Day 02) - Received
03-17-2014 ( Day 13) - Text and E-mail Notification at 12:50 am
03-21-2014 ( Day 17) - Received I-797C NOA (AOS, AP & EAD) hard copies - 6 mails
03-24-2014 ( Day 20) - Received I-797C NOA (ASC Appointment Notice/ Biometrics schedule) - 2 mails
04-09-2014 ( Day 36) - Biometrics Schedule @ 10&11am
05-30-2014 ( Day 87) - Received EAD combo card (K2 only)
06-09-2014 ( Day 97) - I 485 ( both k1 & k2 ) - Card / Document Production (no interview)
06-12-2014 ( Day 100)- I 485 ( both k1 & k2 ) - Mailed the new card
06-14-2014 ( Day 102)- GC ( both K1 & k2) - Received

Done.

ROC - K1 & K2

03-17-2016 ( Day 01) - Mailed

03-22-2016 ( Day 05) - NOA1

04-19-2016 ( Day 27) - Biometrics Appt. ( only K1 admitted, no K2 Bio Appt. letter received)

03-13-2017 ( Day 328) - Received Biometrics Appt. letter for K2 ( yes, almost a year of waiting!) Scheduled for March 22, 2017

03-22-2017 ( Day 337) - Biometrics Appt. (K2)

04-19-2017 ( Day 364)- USCIS status changed from "Case Was Received" to "Name Updated" (Only the K1 case)

04-26-2017 ( Day 371)-  USCIS status changed from " Name Updated" to "New Card Is Being Produced" ( both K1 and K2 app)

05-01-2017 ( Day 376)-   USCIS status changed from "New Card Is Being Produced" to "Card Was Mailed To Me" ( K2 case)

05-02-2017 ( Day 377)-   USCIS status changed from "New Card Is Being Produced" to "Card Was Mailed To Me" ( K1 case)

05-04-2017 ( Day 379)-  Received GC in the mail ( K2)

05-05-2017 ( Day 380)-  Received GC in the mail ( K1)

Done.

Naturalization

03-10-2017 ( Day 01) - Mailed

03-21-2017 ( Day 11) - Received Text and Email Notification

03-25-2017 ( Day 15) - Received NOA hardcopy

03-27-2017 ( Day 17) - USCIS website status changed " Fingerprint Appointment Was Scheduled"

04-12-2017 ( Day 33) - Biometrics/ Fingerprints & stamped passports for another 1 yr extension.

05-15-2017 ( Day 66) - "In Line for Interview" updated website status

05-17-2017 ( Day 68) - " Interview Was Scheduled" updated website status

05-25-2017 ( Day 76) - Received  the interview letter

06-26-2017 ( Day 108) - Interview Schedule

08-03-2017 ( Day 147)- Received notification online "Oath Ceremony Notice Was Mailed"

weather your doing a k-1 or cr-1 it doesnt matter about the children who are involved as long as the mother was never married to the father and the children are under 21yrs old under phil law and us immigration law they will be allowed to immigrate with mom as she has full rights n full custody under both you do not need the bioological fathers permission for anything period,even if his surname is on the childs passport it will not matter at all,all the way through the whole process including the interview!i would file for the child at the same time by having you and your fiancee put the childs name n info on the k-1 petition,they will automatically make the child a k-2 and process the petition as both they should have their medicals done together and they will be at the interview together you have the childs birth certificate from the nso get the child a passport before medical n interview which you can do and your good to go as long as you have the rest of the normal required documents theres no worries!!!!! any further questions happy to help

Louie

Timeline

Thanks

I suggest if the bio-father trying to ruin her life & possible to use thier kid...( like my x -doing to me)better to secret all the steps u starting now ( visa process) to avoid the custody battle ( if bio-father claim it) just to hassle ur fiancee,although the child is illegitimate & using the father surname , mother has the right ....if ever theres a custody battle child will be on WATCHLIST (cant leave the country) ,& has the right to choose w/c parent he/she'd like to be with.

I relate with the situation of ur fiancee about her x, so i did all researchs, readings, asking opinions etc. about obtaining father consent.

PINAY LOVES CAJUN

K1 VISA /VSC

10-25-2012 I -129f sent

10-31-2012 NOA1

05-17-2013 RFE

08-06-2013 RFE complied

08-15-2013 RFE response review

01-02-2014 NOa2

01-18-2014 MCN#

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.