rin and john

Rosetta Stone Parody

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Rin saw this on a Thai-centric website, the Thai respondents were mostly outraged. Of course having spent the last six years watching American TV, she found it hilarious.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XaT8H3j0GtE

K-3

11/15/2006 - NOA1 Receipt for 129F

02/12/2007 - I-130 and I-129F approved!

04/17/2007 - Interview - visa approved!

04/18/2007 - POE LAX - Finally in the USA!!!

04/19/2007 - WE ARE FINALLY HOME!!!

09/20/2007 - Sent Packet 3 for K-4 Visas (follow to join for children)

10/02/2007 - K-4 Interviews - approved

10/12/2007 - Everyone back to USA!

AOS

06/20/2008 - Mailed I-485, I-765 (plus I-130 for children)

06/27/2008 - NOA1 for I-485, I-765, and I-130s

07/16/2008 - Biometrics appointment

08/28/2008 - EAD cards received

11/20/2008 - AOS Interviews - approved

Citizenship

08/22/2011 - Mailed N-400

Timeline

Rin saw this on a Thai-centric website, the Thai respondents were mostly outraged. Of course having spent the last six years watching American TV, she found it hilarious.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XaT8H3j0GtE

:rofl:

I'm sure TAT is loving that.

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Timeline
1359815225[/url]' post='5955781']

:rofl:

I'm sure TAT is loving that.

Two threads on thaivisa already locked...

K-3

AOS

Citizenship

Timeline

Two threads on thaivisa already locked...

I've been on there all morning. I must have missed it.

Timeline

I didn't see it at first. Was going to post it there, but did a search first and saw two threads already started and locked. Lot's of comments in Thai on YouTube.

K-3

AOS

Citizenship

Timeline

I didn't see it at first. Was going to post it there, but did a search first and saw two threads already started and locked. Lot's of comments in Thai on YouTube.

Yikes! Seems some people took it personally on YouTube. Maybe they need to hit Nana, Cowboy, or many other places and come back and comment. I love Thailand. More than the U.S. actually, but that's part of the culture there. Like it or not.

Timeline

Yikes! Seems some people took it personally on YouTube. Maybe they need to hit Nana, Cowboy, or many other places and come back and comment. I love Thailand. More than the U.S. actually, but that's part of the culture there. Like it or not.

nm.

Edited by Karee

Timeline

Seems to me to make more fun of the men visiting Thailand than the country itself. I think some of the folks on YouTube don't understand that it's not a real commercial. Even a few disparaging comments about Rosetta Stone and banning it from sale in Thailand (as if anything but a pirated copy is ever purchased).

Love the country, too. Plan to live there at least half the time once I am able to retire.

K-3

AOS

Citizenship

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I don't take offensive on this skit by SNL, but it is odd to see many people fly 10-20 hrs just to go to the bars. Perhaps some might even running into ladyboys, just like "Hangover 2". Don't they have bars in their own countries? Thailand is a vacation destination, not just hanging out in a bar. I went to Pattaya once just see what's it like, and I hated the place. I went to spend a week on an island Kho Larn instead. I am too planning to retire there. I have land and relatives in Udon but trying to buy a house in Korat sometimes in the next few years. I hate the States right now, and I think we are heading into the wrong direction. But America gave me the opportunity, and I gave my thanks by sacrificing 26 yrs(and still continuing) of my life by preserving the freedom and defending the Constitutions (which by the way are starting to disappear by the act of congress).

animated%20usa%20flag1.gifanimated%20thailand%20flag.gif

Thai Style USA

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our Links:

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=106...amp;ref=profile

https://www.facebook.com/groups/223365857736847/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/411770628885582/

http://www.thaiworldnetwork.com

Timeline

I don't take offensive on this skit by SNL, but it is odd to see many people fly 10-20 hrs just to go to the bars. Perhaps some might even running into ladyboys, just like "Hangover 2". Don't they have bars in their own countries? Thailand is a vacation destination, not just hanging out in a bar. I went to Pattaya once just see what's it like, and I hated the place. I went to spend a week on an island Kho Larn instead. I am too planning to retire there. I have land and relatives in Udon but trying to buy a house in Korat sometimes in the next few years. I hate the States right now, and I think we are heading into the wrong direction. But America gave me the opportunity, and I gave my thanks by sacrificing 26 yrs(and still continuing) of my life by preserving the freedom and defending the Constitutions (which by the way are starting to disappear by the act of congress).

Yeah I can't stand Pattaya either. It reminded me of the last stop on the way to hell. I hear it's even worse now with the arrival of all the Russians.

People do fly 10-20 hours for those bars. Be it on Cowboy or Nana, or Angeles City in the Philippines, or Orchard Tower in Singapore. They don't have anything like those places in the U.S. At least none that I'm aware of.

I'll be doing the same as you in roughly 5-10 years. Living in a house in Isaan somewhere. Last thing I want to do is move back to Thailand and be around a bunch of drunk farangs. Been there, done that.

The link got removed so I did not get to see it. We plan on living in Thailand to when we retire but we got a good long wait yet. We just have different opinions on where we would like to live. Pui wants to live in her village and I want to live near the ocean but not near anyplace like Pattaya. We got time to figure out what we will do.

AOS Journey

11-04-2011 sent AOS to Chicago lockbox

11-07-2011 delivered

11-08-2011 Date on text messages but did not receive until 11-22-2011

11-23-2011 Check cashed.

11-25-2011 Hard copies of NOA1s

12-06-2012 Pui's Brother unexpectly passes away and we make an info pass appointment and receive an emergancy AP so she can return home. Pui leaves for Thailand for 2 weeks.

12-06-2012 Get a text message and email that she received an RFE

12-12-2012 RFE for original birth certificate. I swear we sent it along with a certificate translation of it.

12-20-2012 Pui returns from Thailand.

12-21-2012 We send the RFE back for with original birth certificate along with a new certificate of translation(I had to wait for her to return for her to sign)

12-26-2012 text and email they have received the RFE.

12-29-2012 Appointment for biometrics is 01-23-2012

01-13-2012 AP is approved.

01-23-2012 Biometrics appointment. Later during the evening the text and email saying the EAD is approved.

01-31-2012 EAD/AP combo card arrives.

05-22-2012 Email and text card is in production!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

The link got removed so I did not get to see it. We plan on living in Thailand to when we retire but we got a good long wait yet. We just have different opinions on where we would like to live. Pui wants to live in her village and I want to live near the ocean but not near anyplace like Pattaya. We got time to figure out what we will do.

This is just my opinion; so you could take it either way. My wife and I are planning to move back to Thailand in the near future. We have agreed that we will be living in Korat. I'm from Udon Thani and my wife is from Sisaket. So Korat is a perfect place because it's in between. My point is that we don't want to live anywhere close to our villages because we don't want any relative knocking on our door every single day. I'm the one should be inviting them not themselves. I love my family but some of them can be like flies. lol

animated%20usa%20flag1.gifanimated%20thailand%20flag.gif

Thai Style USA

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our Links:

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=106...amp;ref=profile

https://www.facebook.com/groups/223365857736847/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/411770628885582/

http://www.thaiworldnetwork.com

Timeline

Now the govt. is saying they want the video removed from Youtube. I guess remove the video, and the image of the country will get better. :wacko:

Govt wants YouTube sex spoof removed

The government plans to ask YouTube to remove a video clip mocking the sex industry in Thailand.

The clip is a parody of a commercial for the Rosetta Stone foreign language learning programme. The spoof was produced by popular American late-night television show Saturday Night Live.

In the video, foreigners are interested in learning the Thai language so they know how to say things like, "How much?", "Is that for the whole night?" or "How can I take off your clothes?" in Thai.

(story continues below)

469286.jpg Sonthaya Khunploem (Photo by Chanat Katanyu)

Culture Minister Sonthaya Khunploem said on Monday that the Culture Watch Centre is working with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in an effort to have the video removed from the world's most popular video sharing website.

The government will also inform the United States embassy that the commercial spoof is tarnishing Thailand's image and will ask the embassy to explain the situation to the producer of Saturday Night Live, Mr Sonthaya said.

The parody has drawn many negative responses from both Thai and foreign netizens on YouTube.

Most Thai internet users were not impressed with the video, saying the joke is too harsh and not at all funny.

An internet user posted in Thai, "The Americans behave like this and this is why they're bombing their country."

"Even though it might be true, the producers should not offend Thailand this way," another Thai commented.

As for foreign netizens, some commented that people should not take the spoof too seriously but most were disappointed with it.

Source:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/334186/govt-wants-youtube-sex-spoof-removed

Timeline

Now the govt. is saying they want the video removed from Youtube. I guess remove the video, and the image of the country will get better. :wacko:

Govt wants YouTube sex spoof removed

The government plans to ask YouTube to remove a video clip mocking the sex industry in Thailand.

The clip is a parody of a commercial for the Rosetta Stone foreign language learning programme. The spoof was produced by popular American late-night television show Saturday Night Live.

In the video, foreigners are interested in learning the Thai language so they know how to say things like, "How much?", "Is that for the whole night?" or "How can I take off your clothes?" in Thai.

(story continues below)

469286.jpg Sonthaya Khunploem (Photo by Chanat Katanyu)

Culture Minister Sonthaya Khunploem said on Monday that the Culture Watch Centre is working with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in an effort to have the video removed from the world's most popular video sharing website.

The government will also inform the United States embassy that the commercial spoof is tarnishing Thailand's image and will ask the embassy to explain the situation to the producer of Saturday Night Live, Mr Sonthaya said.

The parody has drawn many negative responses from both Thai and foreign netizens on YouTube.

Most Thai internet users were not impressed with the video, saying the joke is too harsh and not at all funny.

An internet user posted in Thai, "The Americans behave like this and this is why they're bombing their country."

"Even though it might be true, the producers should not offend Thailand this way," another Thai commented.

As for foreign netizens, some commented that people should not take the spoof too seriously but most were disappointed with it.

Source:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/334186/govt-wants-youtube-sex-spoof-removed

I read that this morning too. My wife showed me the spoof on youtube yesterday and I had to explain to her what it was all about. She seemed puzzled that SNL would make of fun of Thailand that way. I told that unfortunately that is the perception in some parts of the world. She thought it make the farang look stupid, I would tend to agree with her on that. We'll be moving back in about 5 years. Will split our time between our hpouse in her village and our condo in Hua Hin. Love the family but will need a break here and there LOL!

Edited by khwaidee1

Timeline

What gets me is that the country is being run by a fugitive who can't set foot in Thailand without being arrested. If Thais want to improve the image of the country, they should worry about that. That is what really makes the place seem like a joke, not some stupid video.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.