Jen and Mikey

Questions... need clarification...

20 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello all... I have been continually reading up on all that is needed for my next steps and some of those things have me a little confused. Instead of creating numerous posts, thought I'd keep contained in one :)

All feedback would be greatly appreciated especially those who moved to KY as that's where I'm heading.

1. So I registered on the CSC website, picked the Loomis here in London and and continued onto scheduling my interview..... The confusing part is the Loomis portion. Is that all I had to do for registering with them? Just tell them that that's where I want it sent and then once my interview is complete I get a waybill?

2. Importing my car. I have tried to read the ####### out of info on this.... I thought it was something that i did in the State I was moving to, but I'm now thinking that it's at the border? Is that right? I have my compliance letter already and I'm ready to do it whenever, I just wanted to make sure that it's at the POE.

3. SSN. There are so many threads on the topic and they all say 2 different things. My plan was to go down, get married ASAP and then go and register for my SSN (after the 10 day mark) and do it in my married name.... Some seem to say NO and others say it's not a problem doing it in your married name. I plan on taking all the info stated in the guide portion to help any uneducated on the topic reps that I may encounter. Though the one link that says to print a notice is now dead.

4. I-134 Affidavit of Support.... my fiance received his tax transcripts from 2010 and 2011... the only thing is that he did those taxes with his ex-wife and they don't show his income separately... Will that be an issue? He is hoping to have his 2012 done and back before my interview, so i'm thinking the others won't matter...

5. I still haven't received any letters from Montreal regarding pkg 4 and the Dr requires it..... I am hoping that it comes soon, but what happens if I don't get it.... will the email they sent suffice?

I think that's it for now.... thank you all again for helping me keep my sanity during this process. :)

Filed: Timeline

2. Please check whether this website would be helpful.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/trade/basic_trade/importing_car.xml

3. Please check this

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Five-Tips-if-You-Changed-Your-Name-Due-to-Marriage-or-Divorce

http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/315/~/change-a-name-on-a-social-security-card

5. Wait a few more days, then call them. It is probably already on the way.

Hello all... I have been continually reading up on all that is needed for my next steps and some of those things have me a little confused. Instead of creating numerous posts, thought I'd keep contained in one :)

All feedback would be greatly appreciated especially those who moved to KY as that's where I'm heading.

1. So I registered on the CSC website, picked the Loomis here in London and and continued onto scheduling my interview..... The confusing part is the Loomis portion. Is that all I had to do for registering with them? Just tell them that that's where I want it sent and then once my interview is complete I get a waybill?

2. Importing my car. I have tried to read the ####### out of info on this.... I thought it was something that i did in the State I was moving to, but I'm now thinking that it's at the border? Is that right? I have my compliance letter already and I'm ready to do it whenever, I just wanted to make sure that it's at the POE.

3. SSN. There are so many threads on the topic and they all say 2 different things. My plan was to go down, get married ASAP and then go and register for my SSN (after the 10 day mark) and do it in my married name.... Some seem to say NO and others say it's not a problem doing it in your married name. I plan on taking all the info stated in the guide portion to help any uneducated on the topic reps that I may encounter. Though the one link that says to print a notice is now dead.

4. I-134 Affidavit of Support.... my fiance received his tax transcripts from 2010 and 2011... the only thing is that he did those taxes with his ex-wife and they don't show his income separately... Will that be an issue? He is hoping to have his 2012 done and back before my interview, so i'm thinking the others won't matter...

5. I still haven't received any letters from Montreal regarding pkg 4 and the Dr requires it..... I am hoping that it comes soon, but what happens if I don't get it.... will the email they sent suffice?

I think that's it for now.... thank you all again for helping me keep my sanity during this process. :)

Timeline

thanks, those links don't answer what i'm asking......but thanks anyway

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't know all the answers or any really but thought I'd chime in to help with what I experienced. Importing the car is tricky and boy have I struggled with that one. Long story short, in my situation Toyota was refusing compliance letters so when I POEd I didn't import my car at POE and am driving around on 'Code Z' driver's insurance from BC and my BC license. Now that Toyota is issuing the letters again I have requested one from them. I phoned a service port of entry and was told I could import it there (for me that is Seattle, but there are many ports of entry around the country that aren't at a border aka near airports and water ports) once I had my EAD.

Since then, I've been told I don't need EAD to import and that the officer was wrong- I've also not received the compliance letter via email like Toyota said I should within 3-4 business days unlike others on this forum. SIGH. So I need to phone Toyota today and figure out why they are screwing me over yet again. :angry:

As far as the SSN goes, I got it after 2 weeks in my maiden name, got married, and am planning to go back to change SSN to my married name. I filed for AOS in my married name and read on these forums that was the thing to do so hopefully it works out!

Not sure if that's any help and I can't help with the other questions (no idea plus I went through Vancouver), but good luck to you!

VeeNDee

April 23, 2013 - AOS interview - Approved!

January 26, 2015 - Mailed off ROC Application

June 30, 2015 - 10 year greencard in hand

January 25, 2016 - N400 Application Mailed

May 11, 2016 - Citizenship Interview + same-day Oath ceremony!

Timeline

I don't know all the answers or any really but thought I'd chime in to help with what I experienced. Importing the car is tricky and boy have I struggled with that one. Long story short, in my situation Toyota was refusing compliance letters so when I POEd I didn't import my car at POE and am driving around on 'Code Z' driver's insurance from BC and my BC license. Now that Toyota is issuing the letters again I have requested one from them. I phoned a service port of entry and was told I could import it there (for me that is Seattle, but there are many ports of entry around the country that aren't at a border aka near airports and water ports) once I had my EAD.

Since then, I've been told I don't need EAD to import and that the officer was wrong- I've also not received the compliance letter via email like Toyota said I should within 3-4 business days unlike others on this forum. SIGH. So I need to phone Toyota today and figure out why they are screwing me over yet again. :angry:

As far as the SSN goes, I got it after 2 weeks in my maiden name, got married, and am planning to go back to change SSN to my married name. I filed for AOS in my married name and read on these forums that was the thing to do so hopefully it works out!

Not sure if that's any help and I can't help with the other questions (no idea plus I went through Vancouver), but good luck to you!

Thanks VeeNDee.... I hope that your toyota situation gets fixed sooner than later...

Timeline

We are moving from Canada to KY this weekend via a uhaul. We're not bringing a car but when we were considering it, all I could find was the letter of compliance you mentioned, that its free with a K-1 visa, and they performed the import during your POE. I was looking mostly at the Detroit POE reviews.

As for the SSN, check back with us in a few weeks as we hope to have everything completed by then so we can give you an idea on what we went through.

Timeline

We are moving from Canada to KY this weekend via a uhaul. We're not bringing a car but when we were considering it, all I could find was the letter of compliance you mentioned, that its free with a K-1 visa, and they performed the import during your POE. I was looking mostly at the Detroit POE reviews.

As for the SSN, check back with us in a few weeks as we hope to have everything completed by then so we can give you an idea on what we went through.

that would be so awesome!!!! Thank you so much!!!

Where abouts in KY are you going? I'll be heading to Somerset

For the SS number.

I dont know what threads youre looking at. Youre a K1. Youre a woman. You need to get a SS number in your maiden name first. The way it works is pretty simple. Theres an immigration computer. SS checks your info with that immigration computer. When you arrive in the US your info is put into that computer by I really dont know who (Im guessing whomever it is that took your brown K1 packet at the border).

Scenario 1- applying in your maiden name

So here you are, you go to SS. You tell them Id like to apply for a SS number. Heres my application, my passport showing Im a K1. (As a K1 they'll only issue you a number if your K1 is valid and has more then 2 weeks remaining on it- so if you wait until your K1 is close to expiring theyre going to turn you away, but youre no where close to expiring you just got here) They say great, let me punch you into the SS computer. Then they punch you into the computer to check if your name has been cleared through the immigration computer. The immigration computer will have your name as it is with USCIS - your maiden name/the name on your passport. IF the immigration computer has been updated and your name has been cleared- its a go. Your SS card will be issued in your maiden name. If the immigration computer has not been updated yet because they are slow, SS will tell you to come back in a few days/a week and try again. Its no big deal. Come back every few days. Eventually it will be updated and youll get your card.

Scenario 2- trying to apply in your married name.

Same as above except you fill out the form with your married name and they punch your married name into the immigration computer. Your married name is not going to be cleared by the immigration computer. Your married name will not exist with USCIS until you notify USCIS that you are married and USCIS changes it. This does not happen until you file for AOS and something is issued in your married name like EAD/AP or your GC. Once you have one of those things you can take that back with your marriage certificate to a SS office and have them change your SS card from your maiden name to your married name.

many people dont apply in their maiden names and then try to go and apply in their married names and cant because they just filed for AOS, the computers not updated yet and their K1s are expired by that point. They get frustrated and feel like theres conflicting information. Theres not.

You have multiple limited windows of opportunities to obtain your SS number. Your first one is to do it on the K1 with your maiden name.

Timeline

For the SS number.

I dont know what threads youre looking at. Youre a K1. Youre a woman. You need to get a SS number in your maiden name first. The way it works is pretty simple. Theres an immigration computer. SS checks your info with that immigration computer. When you arrive in the US your info is put into that computer by I really dont know who (Im guessing whomever it is that took your brown K1 packet at the border).

Scenario 1- applying in your maiden name

So here you are, you go to SS. You tell them Id like to apply for a SS number. Heres my application, my passport showing Im a K1. (As a K1 they'll only issue you a number if your K1 is valid and has more then 2 weeks remaining on it- so if you wait until your K1 is close to expiring theyre going to turn you away, but youre no where close to expiring you just got here) They say great, let me punch you into the SS computer. Then they punch you into the computer to check if your name has been cleared through the immigration computer. The immigration computer will have your name as it is with USCIS - your maiden name/the name on your passport. IF the immigration computer has been updated and your name has been cleared- its a go. Your SS card will be issued in your maiden name. If the immigration computer has not been updated yet because they are slow, SS will tell you to come back in a few days/a week and try again. Its no big deal. Come back every few days. Eventually it will be updated and youll get your card.

Scenario 2- trying to apply in your married name.

Same as above except you fill out the form with your married name and they punch your married name into the immigration computer. Your married name is not going to be cleared by the immigration computer. Your married name will not exist with USCIS until you notify USCIS that you are married and USCIS changes it. This does not happen until you file for AOS and something is issued in your married name like EAD/AP or your GC. Once you have one of those things you can take that back with your marriage certificate to a SS office and have them change your SS card from your maiden name to your married name.

many people dont apply in their maiden names and then try to go and apply in their married names and cant because they just filed for AOS, the computers not updated yet and their K1s are expired by that point. They get frustrated and feel like theres conflicting information. Theres not.

You have multiple limited windows of opportunities to obtain your SS number. Your first one is to do it on the K1 with your maiden name.

This is right EXCEPT it's not the K1 visa that SSA officers look at- it's your I-94, which is only valid for 90 days after POE. (I'm guessing this is what you meant but just to prevent any further confusion...) I believe you have to apply for your SSN in your maiden name first and then update it to your married name as a K1 but I'm not sure. I kept everything in my maiden name because it's simply so I dunno. There is a link in my signature to my SSN application tips... SSA officers tend to be finicky and uninformed about who's eligible to receive an SSN.

Edited by pocheros

My daughter immigrated on a K-1. :yes:

You do NOT have to apply for your SSN in your maiden name first. I suggest, if you're getting married fairly soon after you immigrate, to wait and get your SSN in your married name. It's one less thing to change.

My daughter immigrated on a monday. They applied for the marriage license on tueday and picked it up on Thursday. They got married on Friday and left for their honeymoon on the saturday. They returned from their honeymoon 10 days later, on a monday. On tuesday she went to apply for her SSN, in her married name. She brought her passport, with the I-94 in it and her marriage license. She received her card in the mail the following week.

Same with her car and driver's license. She went as soon as she got her SSN in the mail. I know every state is different. She's in Michigan. They registered her car with the importation paperwork she got at the border and got MI plates. She received a MI driver's license that does not expire until 2016.

Edited by CdnMom

Maybe it depends on the state, but I moved to California and applied for my SSN in my married name without any trouble at all. I arrived here on Saturday, got married on Tuesday, picked up my marriage certificate on Wednesday and went straight to the SSN office the same day to apply in my married name. The card was in my hands a week later with my married name on it. I filed my AOS papers 3 weeks later.

Maybe, like everything else government'ish, it just depends on the person you happen to be dealing with and whether they are having a good day or not. It's a ####### shoot, I think.

The K-1 Visa journey for myself and my two K-2 children:

K-1: NOA1 2011-8-10; NOA2 2012-1-12; Interview 2012-4-24; Visa issued 2012-9-17; POE (Sarnia) 2012-9-26; Wedding! 2012-10-02
AOS: NOA1 2012-11-20; Biometrics 2012-12-14; AP/EAD approved 2013-1-11; Interview 2013-1-31; 2-yr Green cards in hand 2013-2-9 (101 days total)

ROC: NOA1 11-7-14; Biometrics 12-1-14; 10-yr Green cards ordered 4-13-15! (157 days total)

Counting down to naturalization time!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

As the others said, you CAN get a SSN in your married name without ever having a card in your maiden name. You just need an individual at the SS office who knows what he or she is doing. You will present your passport with your unexpired I-94 which is proof if your status. They should look you up in the database using this information. Your marriage certificate is proof of the name change, they should need nothing more than that to issue the card in your new name. Personally, I did get my first SSN in my maiden name, but I went back to have the name changed on the card before I ever filled AOS, the marriage certificate was all the information they needed.

You import your car at the POE. Afterwards you will register your vehicle in KY.

For the I-134, do you have supporting evidence of income? Like a letter of employment and recent pay stubs? If this shows he is currently making enough money to support you, that should be sufficent. But, you may get a couple questions about the ex-wife, if he was filling taxes with her as late at the start of 2012, so be prepared for that. Then again, it's Montreal, so they may not say a word.

No, its not a state thing. SS is a federal agency. Immigration is a federal agency. The variable is the people working there not following the same procedures.

The workers in your case above and the poster above you did not follow the proper procedure. If they did, you wouldnt have been able to get a SS card in your married name before applying for AOS and having USCIS changing your name in the immigration computer.

What they did was run your name through the immigration computer as it was on your i-94, it came back clear. They then processed your SS application under your married name as you provided proof you were married (a marriage certificate). Thats not how its suppose to work.

Theyre a little confused, policy says run visa holders through the immigration computer before issuing a card- so theyre like Ok I did a card can be issued. They ran your old name through, not the new one. A card could be issued in the old name. The new name wasnt run through so a card shouldnt have been issued in the new name.

So they basically followed procedure 1- process i94, run name through computer, check. procedure 2, change name based on marriage license, check. Thats not you. SS is only suppose to issue cards to visa holders based on the name on the i94 and it coming back clear from the immigration computer.

Anyone with a K1 is free to go down and try to get the card issued in their married name, but you run into the chance that theyre going to do it the right way and say nope, computer says married name isnt clear, come back when it is. Theyre also going to say, well if you changed your name, you can not change it back now and apply under your maiden name, so youll have to travel to the next SS office, not tell them you are married and try to apply there under your maiden name, which may or may not work as your previous attempted application under your married name will be on file.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.