kisha12

Now married but what tax do you file when spouse is in visa provess

29 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Well, I am a USC and I am at NVC stage to be reunited with my spouse and my child, but the new question is now, how do you file your 2013 tax status in this sort of situation? I am expecting the interview to take place sometime on April, 2013. But the fact that my child and my alien spouse live overseas, and yet to have social security number just make me think to file married separately? But I don't know if it is even possible? Moreover, I sent my 2010, and 2009 IRS tax transcripts in early January 2013. Moreover, I wanted to file my 2012 tax soon in order to have my transcript ready in case the CO asks for it during the interview since I have yet to file my 2013 tax return? I just want to be proactive and my spouse to have my 2012 IRS tax transcript in hand before the interview? I just wonder if anyone knows or have gone through this route before?

Edited by kisha12

Well, I am a USC and I am at NVC stage to be reunited with my spouse and my child, but the new question is now, how do you file your 2013 tax status in this sort of situation? I am expecting the interview to take place sometime on April, 2013. But the fact that my child and my alien spouse live overseas, and yet to have social security number just make me think to file married separately? But I don't know if it is even possible? Moreover, I sent my 2010, and 2009 IRS tax transcripts in early January 2013. Moreover, I wanted to file my 2012 tax soon in order to have my transcript ready in case the CO asks for it during the interview since I have yet to file my 2013 tax return? I just want to be proactive and my spouse to have my 2012 IRS tax transcript in hand before the interview? I just wonder if anyone knows or have gone through this route before?

You can either file 'Married Filing Separately' and just write NRA (Non-Resident Alien) in the SSN field for the spouse or you can file 'Married Filing Jointly' and apply for an ITIN. In 2011, my husband and I did the latter.

You can either file 'Married Filing Separately' and just write NRA (Non-Resident Alien) in the SSN field for the spouse or you can file 'Married Filing Jointly' and apply for an ITIN. In 2011, my husband and I did the latter.

Thank you, Saylin. Thanks to you I come to learn what "ITIN" is all about. I think you are right, I might need to file "married filing jointly", but I wonder how long does it take to get "ITIN" though? I have to have the IRS transcript by the end of April or early May, if possible, in hand in case the co ask for it during interview?

Edited by kisha12

Thank you, Saylin. Thanks to you I come to learn what "ITIN" is all about. I think you are right, I might need to file "married filing jointly", but I wonder how long does it take to get "ITIN" though? I have to have the IRS transcript by the end of April or early May, if possible, in hand in case the co ask for it during interview?

If you can file relatively soon, then you should have everything by the interview. My husband filed a joint tax return with the W7 mid-March. And he had his tax transcript by the end of April, just in time for my interview at the beginning of May. So, it took less than 2 months for our case.

If you can file relatively soon, then you should have everything by the interview. My husband filed a joint tax return with the W7 mid-March. And he had his tax transcript by the end of April, just in time for my interview at the beginning of May. So, it took less than 2 months for our case.

Thank you, you have been a great help. I will do just that soon.

The first attempt at an ITIN took 3 months and was finally denied in the end (for stupid reasons)

The second time was about 10 weeks and was approved.

blink.gif Ouch... I'm glad mine didn't take long at all and had no problems...

Saylin, sorry for my ignorance, but is it possible to claim my child as dependent without social security or I need to apply for "ITIN" even for my child as well in place of social security number? Once again, sorry for my ignorance.

Edited by kisha12

Saylin, sorry for my ignorance, but is it possible to claim my child as dependent without social security or I need to apply for "ITIN" even for my child as well in place of social security number? Once again, sorry for my ignorance.

Is your child a USC?

The first attempt at an ITIN took 3 months and was finally denied in the end (for stupid reasons)

The second time was about 10 weeks and was approved.

That scare the heck out of me. That's way too long, at least for my situation. Maybe filing married and separately is a bit safer becuase time is the essence since I my spouse got to have 2012 tax transcript by the end of April. Better I leave no room for visa denial ground.

Edited by kisha12

If the interview is in mid to late April, do you have to request a transcript of the 2012 taxes, or can you just bring in a copy of the tax paperwork that the USC filed?

I'm a dual US/Hungarian citizen (both by birth; Hungarian citizenship verification TBA), and my husband is a dual British/Irish citizen (by treaty) from Northern Ireland. We are atheists.

All advice is given pursuant to the Disclaimer that you may read at the bottom of each forum page.

LATEST STEPS:

28 Jun 2013: POE Houston

08 Jul 2013: SSN received (at SSA office)

07 Aug 2013: Green Card received

27 Feb 2014: Whoa, life happened. Planning move "back home" together to Republic of Ireland by end of April.

29 Apr 2014: POE Dublin through Heathrow

15 May 2014: Received formal residency/work permission (GNIB card with Stamp 4, one year renewable) for the ROI

For my FULL timeline, see my "About Me" page.

For small creatures such as we, the vastness is bearable only through love. (Carl Sagan)

Not yet. The status is, a child of USC/I130, and according "the child act...law" my child will be a USC as soon as make it to USA.

I'm not 100% on this as I don't have any children, nor have I done the research (perhaps you should), but I believe that yes, the child will need an ITIN as well if you file MFJ.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

if you dont want to deal w itins and your child and a possible wait then just do married separate and file an amended return later when everyone has a ssn.

if you want to do join then

alternatively you can file the itin and just bring the copies of your return and w2 to your interview.

i really have no clue what to do about your child.

but be aware no matter which way you file you wont be able to order a transcript until after april 15

personally at this point i suggest NOT filing an itin so you dont cause any confusion getting the ssn.

filing an amendment is so much easier since you wont need to get certified copies of your passport from the issuing agency for the itin paperwork

oldlady.gif

if you dont want to deal w itins and your child and a possible wait then just do married separate and file an amended return later when everyone has a ssn.

if you want to do join then

alternatively you can file the itin and just bring the copies of your return and w2 to your interview.

i really have no clue what to do about your child.

but be aware no matter which way you file you wont be able to order a transcript until after april 15

personally at this point i suggest NOT filing an itin so you dont cause any confusion getting the ssn.

filing an amendment is so much easier since you wont need to get certified copies of your passport from the issuing agency for the itin paperwork

'

Thank you, KDH. I had enough confusion, and adding more confusion and delay at this stage to my case is the last thing I wanted to do. So, you are right, 'filing married separately' now and later on filing an amended return as you have suggested sounds a safe route. Thank you all! What a great community!!!!!!!

Edited by kisha12

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.