gotzfayth

London Embassy REFUSED to notarize copy passport for ITIN

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello all,

My hubby just made the trip from Manchester to London to get a notarized copy of his passport so that I can obtain ITIN for my income taxes. THe man there refused to do it, was very short with him and stated that it was NOT needed for my taxes. He told my hubby that I am supposed to send him the form for the ITIN, he then fills it out, and then sends it on to the embassy by mail, the ebassy notarizes the form and sends it back to him (hubby)... THEN he is supposed to send it back to me. Is this right? The same man told my hubby, "I don't see why your wife has to put you on her taxes." We married in Nov., he was here for 5 weeks, returned to the UK, we are waiting to start the k3 process in a few months.

I need some help. I have been to the IRS web site, and thot I had it all sorted out. Anyone run into this at the embassy in London?

Thank so much!

Gotz

I've never heard of trying to get a passport notorized. What would they be validating?

Opps, this post was written after a 12 hour shift..

I was under the impression that I needed a notarized copy of the passport. I am really confused, this tax issue is making me nuts. I thot someone here might be able help clear things up.

Edited by gotzfayth

Filed: Country: Indonesia
Timeline

I went to US embassy in Indonesia last year and they notarized my copy of passport. Yes, it was to apply for ITIN too. It was no problem

Edited by tom&tata

I-130

Jun 28 2004 : Received at NSC

Oct 25 2004 : Transferred to CSC

Oct 29 2004 : Received at CSC

Nov 8 2004 : Received response from CSC that my file is being requested & review will be done

Nov 10 2004 : Email & online status Approved

Nov 15 2004 : NOA 2 in mail

Dec 16 2004 : NVC assigns case number

Dec 20 2004 : NVC sent DS 3032 to beneficiary, copy of DS 3032 & I-864 fee bill to petitioner

Jan 3 2005 : Petitioner received copy of DS 3032 and I-864 fee bill. Post-marked Dec 23rd.

Jan 11 2005 : Beneficiary received DS 3032 in Indonesia

Jan 31 2005 : Sent DS 3032 to NVC

Feb 8, 2005 : NVC received DS 3032

Feb 21, 2005 : IV fee generated

Feb 25, 2005 : Sent I-864 fee bill

Feb 28, 2005 : I-864 fee bill delivered to St Louis

Mar 3, 2005 : IV fee bill received

Mar 7, 2005 : Sent IV fee bill

Mar 9, 2005 : IV fee bill delivered to St Louis

Mar 28, 2005 : I-864 fee credited against case.

April 6, 2005 : Received I-864 package

April 7, 2005 : Immigrant Visa fee credited against case.

April 11, 2005 : DS 230 is generated

Aug 12, 2005 : I-864 & DS 230 received by NVC

Sep 14, 2005 : RFE on I-864

Nov 3, 2005 : Checklist response received at NVC

Nov 25, 2005 : Case completion

Dec 9, 2005 : Police Cert requested from the Netherlands

Jan 12 2006 : Interview success - Approved !!

Jan 19 2006 : Visa & brown envelope picked up

Did he try contacting the IRS office?

If you are a taxpayer who lives outside the United States, the IRS has full-time permanent staff in 4 U.S. embassies and consulates.

United States Embassy/IRS

24/31 Grosvenor Square

London W1A 1AE UK

Walk-In assistance 9:00 a.m.- 4:00 p.m. (Tuesday through Thursday)

Tel: [44] (207)408-8077

(9 a.m. to Noon. Monday through Friday)

FAX: +44-207-495-4224

Did he try contacting the IRS office?

If you are a taxpayer who lives outside the United States, the IRS has full-time permanent staff in 4 U.S. embassies and consulates.

United States Embassy/IRS

24/31 Grosvenor Square

London W1A 1AE UK

Walk-In assistance 9:00 a.m.- 4:00 p.m. (Tuesday through Thursday)

Tel: [44] (207)408-8077

(9 a.m. to Noon. Monday through Friday)

FAX: +44-207-495-4224

Thank you for your response. The embassy sent him to the IRS office there in London and the man there told my hubby I had to send the W-7 completely filled out to to him in Manchester, and once the form arrived in England it had to be sent on to the office in London along with hubby's passport. The whole thing would then be notarized sent back to hubby, then on to me here in the US. Is that crazy or what?? He even gave hubby a W-7 form to send to me. I am like DUH, I have all that.. what is needed is the notarized copy of the passport. I am so so frustrated.

Here I am thinking, getting the copy notarized.. a fairly straight forward procedure. If I had known that I needed a copy for myself, would have obtained a notarized copy b4 his return to the UK last month.

Meant to tell ya, MD, hubby is a huge Manchester United fan!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline

We had to get a ITIN number for our kids and I just had a notary put her stamp on the copy of their passports and write "this is a true and correct copy".

05/25/05 Mailed I-129F to TSC

06/08/05 CSC Recv's I-129F per USCIS website (Day14)

06/13/05 Recvd' NOA1 from CSC (Day19)

06/22/05 Petition Approved, NOA2 by email! (Day28)

06/25/05 Peter posts Police Cert Request (Day 31)

06/27/05 Recv'd NOA2 snail mail (Day 33)

06/30/05 NVC Recv'd Petition from CSC (Day 36)

07/06/05 NVC Forwards petition to London (Day 42)

07/09/05 Snail mail from NVC stating they recv'd petition/being forwarded to London (Day 45)

07/15/05 Peter recv's Police Report (Day 51)

07/18/05 Peter recv's packet 3 and schedules medical (Day 54)

07/25/05 Mail Packet 3!!! (Day 61)

08/04/05 Medical in Endinburgh (Day 71)

08/06/05 Received Packet 4 (Day 73)

08/10/05 Received medical in post (Day 77)

08/15/05 INTERVIEW IN LONDON APPROVED!!!!! (DAY 82)

11/08/05 He's Home

11/18/05 Wedding Day

D.O.R.A. Time Line

01/05/06 AOS Appointment

02/10/06 Bio metrics letter #1

02/14/06 Boimetrics letter #2

07/03/06 Email Update - Welcome letter is on it's way (5 months and 29 days)

07/05/06 Email Update - GC is ordered and on its way

07/10/06 Email Update - Case was aproved on July 10

07/11/06 2 Greencards arrived in post!!!

02/07/07 Final Greencard arrives...England here we come!

I guess you could try calling the ITIN office 1-215-516-4846 and ask them what you need to submit. Maybe something else could be sent in place of the notarized passport. Remember it's tax time, so it might take a while to get through and you might also be on hold for a while.

We had to get a ITIN number for our kids and I just had a notary put her stamp on the copy of their passports and write "this is a true and correct copy".

Wow, ya learn something new every day!

SA4userbar.jpg

My husband went to file his tax's and was told he needed either a ssn for myself and the children or ITIN numbers. Well i cant get a SSN until my EAD is approved and comes through so how do i go about getting the other information, do i call the ITIN number posted earlier will they beable to help?

Siobhan,Yorkshire UK-Scott,Florida USA

CR1-I-130

May/06/08............NOA1 from Vermont

I know the answer now to my question so no replies needed

Edited by siobhan36

Siobhan,Yorkshire UK-Scott,Florida USA

CR1-I-130

May/06/08............NOA1 from Vermont

Hello all,

My hubby just made the trip from Manchester to London to get a notarized copy of his passport so that I can obtain ITIN for my income taxes. THe man there refused to do it, was very short with him and stated that it was NOT needed for my taxes. He told my hubby that I am supposed to send him the form for the ITIN, he then fills it out, and then sends it on to the embassy by mail, the ebassy notarizes the form and sends it back to him (hubby)... THEN he is supposed to send it back to me. Is this right? The same man told my hubby, "I don't see why your wife has to put you on her taxes." We married in Nov., he was here for 5 weeks, returned to the UK, we are waiting to start the k3 process in a few months.

I need some help. I have been to the IRS web site, and thot I had it all sorted out. Anyone run into this at the embassy in London?

Thank so much!

Gotz

Hi Gotz. I'm the USC and I filed my taxes from NZ with the W7 for my husband. What we did was get a copy of his passport ID page notarized by a NZ notary which is acceptable according to the Instructions for the W7. Then I sent that and a photocopy of his birth certificate with my tax form & the W7. He got his ITIN back very quickly. I don't see why that wouldn't work for you as well.

Also reading the W7 instructions for what documents can be submitted for proving your husband's ID, you can see that if you submit a notarized copy of his passport you don't need anything else, but if you don't have that, IRS will accept copies of two other forms of ID, which can be: National Identification Card, Foreign Driver's License, Foreign Voter's Registration Card or Foreign Military Identification Card. Also, please note that Foreign Notaries are acceptable as outlined under the Hague Convention (this includes the UK) So your husband could get a UK notary to notarize a copy of his passport (get a couple while he's at it) send it to you and you send in to IRS your tax form, the W7 that he signs and his UK notarized passport copy.

HTH :)

8-12-2004 I moved to New Zealand(married my Kiwi in US 5/04)

1-12-2006 Received initial packet - It has I-130, I-864 & DS-230 Part 1, DS-2001 & tons of instructions.

Gathering paperwork that we don't have:

5-30-2006 - I-130 FILED AND ACCEPTED BY AUCKLAND CONSULATE!- INTERVIEW: 6/13/2006

6-13-2006 - APPROVED!usaCa.gifnew_zeaC3.gif

6-14-2006 - VISA IN HAND D_SMIL112.gif

08-05-2006 -WE ARE HOME IN THE USA!!! flag12.gif

THREE HAPPY YEARS LATER:

5-10-09 - N-400 filed

8-24-09 - Interview

9-14-09 - Naturalization Oath Ceremony

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Hi Gotz. I'm the USC and I filed my taxes from NZ with the W7 for my husband. What we did was get a copy of his passport ID page notarized by a NZ notary which is acceptable according to the Instructions for the W7. Then I sent that and a photocopy of his birth certificate with my tax form & the W7. He got his ITIN back very quickly. I don't see why that wouldn't work for you as well.

Also reading the W7 instructions for what documents can be submitted for proving your husband's ID, you can see that if you submit a notarized copy of his passport you don't need anything else, but if you don't have that, IRS will accept copies of two other forms of ID, which can be: National Identification Card, Foreign Driver's License, Foreign Voter's Registration Card or Foreign Military Identification Card. Also, please note that Foreign Notaries are acceptable as outlined under the Hague Convention (this includes the UK) So your husband could get a UK notary to notarize a copy of his passport (get a couple while he's at it) send it to you and you send in to IRS your tax form, the W7 that he signs and his UK notarized passport copy.

:star: Gold star for you, sadie! :star:

That's the best explanation I've seen for this issue!!! Very helpful :)

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

• 3 months later...

:star: Gold star for you, sadie! :star:

That's the best explanation I've seen for this issue!!! Very helpful :)

We submitted a copy of my wifes passport notarised by a UK notary and they rejected it! It seems that the rules have been changed as an anti-terrorist measure (so they say), and only US notaries are accepted. We don't yet know how to move forward on this; we don't want to travel to London specially

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.