aussiewench

Yardies, at home and a farrin'

5,682 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Ok Ladies I have been thinking about this a lot...I know most people won't be comfortable coming out and saying how much they make per year but I am SOOOOO curious because in my mind I make very little but I don't know how that really compares to people around the US. Plus with all the talk of buying houses and such it makes me think you all are rich :blush: Even if Andre and I went on a "Squitto" plan we wouldn't have the money to buy a house for about 20 years or so it seems...

Anyways to get to the point...I set up a yahoo poll about finances...that way it is anonymous. If y'all don't mind I would love for you to vote.

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

wow the house looks great! I am so in... when I win the lotto. :P

Well.....I just want to pop in this afternoon and respond........Joanna...it does take a lot of courage to dig deep down inside your heart/gut and make this decision. You could have pretended for the sake of everyone else and in the long run it would have been HARDER for both you and Adrian. I know that you are not intentionally hurting Adrian and I do know that this was not an easy decision. WE ALL pray that Adrian can get his job back and will be able to get stronger. Maybe this time away will help sort everything out......for you and Adrian. (L)

I also want to say a few words regarding Nanny's post. In my heart, I truly believe that she did not mean anything hurtful by her post. I believe she was thinking out-loud about Adrian and feeling overly empathtic to his situation/feelings. No matter what the situation, this is an awful thing for Adrian and his life has been turned completely upside down. However, I know for a FACT that Joanna NEVER intentionally meant to hurt Adrian. This is a VERY hard time for both of them. I also do not think Nanny was suggesting that Joanna go ahead and get married........I believe she was venting her emotions and empathy for Adrian. However it may be...this is hard for both people affected (Joanna and Adrian) and we should all feel very compassionate towards both of them.

As Jonesie said, each person is entitled to their own opinion whether it is accepted by the majority or not. Either way, I feel we should not condemn Joanna or Nanny for their decisions/opinions.

<<<<Joanna>>>>You do not need to explain yourself to anyone.......this decision was hard

and I know you meant absolutely NO bad intentions towards Adrian......

BUT....for the rest of us still going through the process...let this be a HUGE lesson learned.......REALLY TRULY get to know your Fiancee and make sure you understand EVERYTHING before you take that next step. Moving someone away from their job, life and family is huge. Do NOT do it if you have second thoughts !!!!! It has made me really sit down and analyze my own situation. I have NO second thoughts...otherwise, I would slow it down based on this lesson learned.

So...I hope we can move forward because I think we all should care and respect each other. This process is hard enough on it's own......

That was very well said. :thumbs: I respect Nanny for speaking her mind as well :yes:

Let's all continue to post, chat, share, and encourage one another. I am so thankful for this thread - Lord knows the hell we went through to keep it when Squitto first started it last year :lol: :lol:

Ya'll remember that?

You know I remember. I went toe to toe with the moderators and almost got myself banned :lol::lol::lol::lol: I love this thread!! :yes:

Everyone will have their own opinion on things just like any family. My family at home always gives me their 2 cents on what they want me to do, but I do what is best for me.

I love this thread and think its awsome. I have learned so much and gained wonderful friends.

One luv to all :D

Met Jan 1998, vows on 2006, Jay Jay born 2008, baby 2 - 2011

Look at time line for visa information

xTr6m6.png

Great Cook Shop in the Chicago Land Area: Montego Bay Jerk Chicken Restaurant in Bellwood IL

lXHgm6.png

CuySm6.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Ok Ladies I have been thinking about this a lot...I know most people won't be comfortable coming out and saying how much they make per year but I am SOOOOO curious because in my mind I make very little but I don't know how that really compares to people around the US. Plus with all the talk of buying houses and such it makes me think you all are rich :blush: Even if Andre and I went on a "Squitto" plan we wouldn't have the money to buy a house for about 20 years or so it seems...

Anyways to get to the point...I set up a yahoo poll about finances...that way it is anonymous. If y'all don't mind I would love for you to vote.

You know Jamie...I think it is all relative in where you live. I live in California and the median income is $94,000 a year. However, house prices where I live are $650,000 for a 2 bedroom fixer-upper. 2 bedroom apartment costs $1700 a month to rent. So...even if I follow the Squitto plan....I will be standing next to you in 20 years!!!! :yes::yes:

So...stay in school...keep working and keep your head up...you are doing GREATTTTTTT!!! :thumbs:

CHECK OUT OUR WEBSITE: www.embassyart.homestead.com

SEE K-1 TIME LINE IN MY PROFILE

.....INTERVIEW JULY 10, 2006-APPROVED

07/19/06-Duane flew home to the USA-FINALLY!!!!!!!

08/17/06-DUANE AND KIM GOT MARRIED

PART 2 BEGINS

09/20/06- EAD/AOS Mailed to Chicago Today..........Here we go again!!!

10/13/06- Biometric appointment-San Francisco

12/07/06- AOS Interview-San Francisco

CAUGHT IN FBI NAME CHECK DELAY

04/23/07-Received AOS Approval E-Mail

04/25/07-Received CARD Production E-mail

WAITING FOR GREEN CARD TO ARRIVE.......

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Aunt Flo is here! :( Dang!! Well, maybe u should put me on the bottom of the preggers list.... :P

I think I have to get PHD in ovulation science. LOL

Still cracking up over Ms. Squito's skittles. LOL

Edited by Elizabethnhenry

AOS, EAD - 115 days from mailing AOS to conditional Green Card in Hand

06-07-08 - File to remove conditions

4/28/09 - Moved to CSC

06-20-09- Received 10 year Greencard

Citizenship

07-09-09 - Filed N-400

Joel 2:25 (Amplified Bible) And I will restore or replace for you the years that the locust has eaten--the hopping locust, the stripping locust, and the crawling locust, My great army which I sent among you.

You know Jamie...I think it is all relative in where you live. I live in California and the median income is $94,000 a year. However, house prices where I live are $650,000 for a 2 bedroom fixer-upper. 2 bedroom apartment costs $1700 a month to rent. So...even if I follow the Squitto plan....I will be standing next to you in 20 years!!!! :yes::yes:

So...stay in school...keep working and keep your head up...you are doing GREATTTTTTT!!! :thumbs:

Wow! I could never afford to live in California :o That is crazy expensive! How can anyone afford to buy a house? Of course, like you said, the median income is MUCH higher there too to compensate for it. So yes, Jamie, I think this is a good point regarding your question. Like I mentioned to Jonesie, I have a nice house (3 bedroom) and only paid $145,000. And it didn't need any work at all - just moved right in. I guess it all depends on what state/city/area you're in.

May 11, 2004 - NOA1

August 9, 2004 - NOA2 APPROVED!!!!

October 1, 2004 - Interview date - Visa APPROVED!!

December 11, 2004 - Wedding! Finally married!

December 30, 2004 - Overnighted AOS, AP, & EAD

February 7, 2005 - Received AP in the mailFebruary 26, 2005 - Fingerprints & Biometrics appointment

March 7, 2005 - Received EAD in the mail

April 4, 2005 - Received notice of interview date for AOS

July 26, 2005 - Interview date for AOS!!!

August 12, 2005 - Received NOA for Permanent Residency

August 15, 2005 - Received Green Card in mail!!

June 4, 2007 - Mailed I-751 form to lift "conditions" - it arrived at NSC on June 6

June 11, 2007 - Check cashed

June 21, 2007 - Received NOA1 and Biometrics appt. letter

July 14, 2007 - Biometrics appt. (after re-scheduling)

April 2, 2008 - got an e-mail that our case was transferred to California!

May 12, 2008 - got an e-mail that our case is APPROVED!!

May 17, 2008 - Received Green Card in the mail! No more Immigration for TEN YEARS!!

December 6, 2007 - Monique Savannah is born!! 6 lbs. 13 oz.

34z0pck.jpg

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I agree. It's totally relative to where you are in the nation. I will take the survey/poll tomorrow.

But I find that my brother and sister who live outside the tri-state area (New York, New Jersey and Connecticut) make a 1/3 of what I make and they owned their homes waaaaaay before I did. They also have kids and were pursuing graduate degrees and could still afford a house!!!! I was single and no kids and could barely afford to buy a coop in manhattan in 2001 (a one bedroom that cost 209,000) and now I cannot afford it at all, unless its a 400 sq ft studio ....prices are sky high. If I did not buy when I did, I would not be able to do it; I started small and humble and all my purchases were fixer uppers....when I decided to get a house - that needed work too. No way could I get something ready to move in without also having tenants to help with the mortgage. Ugh! Yeah you can earn a lot in big cities and still be paycheck to paycheck.

Another example of starting small, a girlfriend of mine bought a run down studio by the brooklyn bridge for about 90K in 2004 and she painted, put in floors (exterminated LOL) and now everybody thinks she is smart because that building has become VERY popular and her apartment is now worth about 175,000 should she decide to sell today.

So don't be afraid to start small and don't be afraid to buy something that no one really wants if it is sound and you can fix what ails it.

That's why you HAVE to pay yourself first. Even if its 5 bucks a paycheck, stock it away and if your company has a 401K, participate in it no matter how tough you think it will be. Do it. It really really adds up....especially if the employer matches your contribution. We are matched dollar for dollar and my sis is matched 25 cents for every dollar she contributes.

Edited by Elizabethnhenry

AOS, EAD - 115 days from mailing AOS to conditional Green Card in Hand

06-07-08 - File to remove conditions

4/28/09 - Moved to CSC

06-20-09- Received 10 year Greencard

Citizenship

07-09-09 - Filed N-400

Joel 2:25 (Amplified Bible) And I will restore or replace for you the years that the locust has eaten--the hopping locust, the stripping locust, and the crawling locust, My great army which I sent among you.

Jamie,

As long as you have a small sum of money saved for a down payment and you have decent credit, it's not that hard to buy a house. You figure the average mortgage is 30 years, so your payments would be broken up to 12 payments a year for 30 years. So generally the monthly payment isn't that high. And at least in the end, you have something to show for it. When you rent an apartment, it's like you're just throwing your money away. I think buying a house is a GREAT investment for anyone. Keep your head up - you can do it :thumbs:

May 11, 2004 - NOA1

August 9, 2004 - NOA2 APPROVED!!!!

October 1, 2004 - Interview date - Visa APPROVED!!

December 11, 2004 - Wedding! Finally married!

December 30, 2004 - Overnighted AOS, AP, & EAD

February 7, 2005 - Received AP in the mailFebruary 26, 2005 - Fingerprints & Biometrics appointment

March 7, 2005 - Received EAD in the mail

April 4, 2005 - Received notice of interview date for AOS

July 26, 2005 - Interview date for AOS!!!

August 12, 2005 - Received NOA for Permanent Residency

August 15, 2005 - Received Green Card in mail!!

June 4, 2007 - Mailed I-751 form to lift "conditions" - it arrived at NSC on June 6

June 11, 2007 - Check cashed

June 21, 2007 - Received NOA1 and Biometrics appt. letter

July 14, 2007 - Biometrics appt. (after re-scheduling)

April 2, 2008 - got an e-mail that our case was transferred to California!

May 12, 2008 - got an e-mail that our case is APPROVED!!

May 17, 2008 - Received Green Card in the mail! No more Immigration for TEN YEARS!!

December 6, 2007 - Monique Savannah is born!! 6 lbs. 13 oz.

34z0pck.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Jamie,

As long as you have a small sum of money saved for a down payment and you have decent credit, it's not that hard to buy a house. You figure the average mortgage is 30 years, so your payments would be broken up to 12 payments a year for 30 years. So generally the monthly payment isn't that high. And at least in the end, you have something to show for it. When you rent an apartment, it's like you're just throwing your money away. I think buying a house is a GREAT investment for anyone. Keep your head up - you can do it :thumbs:

Yes......both Rhonda and Elizabeth gave some great advice. I bought my 2 bedroom condo 7 years ago for about $249,000 and it recently appraised for $780,000. I still live paycheck to paycheck but it was the best investment I ever made. I can't wait for the day that I sell this place and buy a BIG house in Jamaica and some other property investments in other areas of the US. This condo is my future nest egg......I will never be able to buy a house in this area because house prices in the Bay Area are just ridiculous........My 10 year plan includes.....moving out of this area!!!! Damn gas is $3.65 a gallon and it just went down today to that price...... :angry:

So......save that $5.00 or invest in a 401k......and keep up that credit or work on fixing it if you have some past dings.......it will really go along way in getting you in a house........and think about a possible area that you can afford........I want to move to Rhonda's neck of the woods.........unless it snows where she lives....I am kinda spoiled with Cali weather....that is my only problem...thinking about Florida though......

Edited by kimlbs

CHECK OUT OUR WEBSITE: www.embassyart.homestead.com

SEE K-1 TIME LINE IN MY PROFILE

.....INTERVIEW JULY 10, 2006-APPROVED

07/19/06-Duane flew home to the USA-FINALLY!!!!!!!

08/17/06-DUANE AND KIM GOT MARRIED

PART 2 BEGINS

09/20/06- EAD/AOS Mailed to Chicago Today..........Here we go again!!!

10/13/06- Biometric appointment-San Francisco

12/07/06- AOS Interview-San Francisco

CAUGHT IN FBI NAME CHECK DELAY

04/23/07-Received AOS Approval E-Mail

04/25/07-Received CARD Production E-mail

WAITING FOR GREEN CARD TO ARRIVE.......

You know I remember. I went toe to toe with the moderators and almost got myself banned :lol::lol::lol::lol: I love this thread!! :yes:

That was so much fun.....they learned their lesson to not mess with Mooma Squitto!!!

Regarding houses -- we have a three bedroom, 1.5 bathroom, two car garage....my problem is the built in pool in the backyard. I was the idiot who bought the house -- the people I bought it from took my first offer....why? Because of the pool and they were so happy to get the hell out of here. Roy and I have to decide what to do with it this summer. Either fill it in or pay to fix the problems -- the concrete needs to be replaced.....DON'T EVER BUY A HOUSE WITH A POOL!!!

I got lucky with my condo that I had in Chicago -- I bought it for nothing and sold it for almost double....that will never happen to me again in my life. Just dumb luck. I would love to move to San Diego to be closer to my sister and her kids -- but I don't think I could ever afford to live there. Even a one bedroom apartment is out of my range.....Living in Jamaica is cheaper :lol:

I got my heart!!!! (L)

JAMA0001.GIFMindy & Roy

06/08/05 -- I-129f Sent to Nebraska

08/30/05 - Approved

12/02/05 - Interview in Kingston

01/13/06 - Roy flies to Chicago

03/03/06 - Married

03/29/06 - EAD/AOS Sent

06/06/06 - EAD Approved

07/11/06 - AOS Approved - w/o interview

07/17/06 - GC Received....

I-751 - Lifting Conditions

04/01/08 - Sent to Nebraska

04/03/08 - NOA1 Notice Date -- Trans to California

04/14/08 - Received NOA1 in mail

04/14/08 - Check cleared bank

04/24/08 - Biometrics letter received

05/02/08 - Biometrics scheduled

10/10/08 - Card Ordered

10/16/08 - Card received -- DONE!!!

Filed: Timeline

Good morning.

Squito and I know that we cannot afford to buy in NYC, nor do we want to. I'm so glad the Squito savings plan has caught on. If we stay dedicated to it, I know we'll reach our goal in no time! :yes:

I got my heart!!!! (L)

Congratulations!! :dance:

I voted in your poll Jme. If you keep your credit in good standing and save up for a decent downpayment, you can get a mortgage no problem. I've seen people with bad credit and good income buy homes. I've seen people with low income and good credit buy homes. I have a friend who makes $60K has terrible credit and she bought a home with $2500 down. Anything is possible. Just start saving, that's the first step!! :yes: Also, if you can get your hands on the latest issue of Essence Magazine (June 2006) They just started a 12 month homebuying campaign with tips and advice on owning your own home within the next year. Good luck Jamie :luv:

Aunt Flo is here! :( Dang!! Well, maybe u should put me on the bottom of the preggers list.... :P

I think I have to get PHD in ovulation science. LOL

Still cracking up over Ms. Squito's skittles. LOL

Awww man, sorry to hear...it's just not time. It will happen sooner than later, don't move your name on the list :no:

Everyday Squito's like "Yuh tek yuh tablet yet?" :lol::lol::lol: hahaha we have them placed on the nightstand so we can't forget :yes::thumbs:

I remember they started calling you "Mama Squitto"! :lol::lol::P

aahh, the good ole days :luv:

I got my heart!!!! (L)

Okay, nevermind....I got my heart a long time ago.....just me hallucinating again!! That's what happens when I try to do something without having a pot of coffee first :blink:

What was that movie when everyday the person woke up they forgot everything that happened before....yeah, that's me!!

JAMA0001.GIFMindy & Roy

06/08/05 -- I-129f Sent to Nebraska

08/30/05 - Approved

12/02/05 - Interview in Kingston

01/13/06 - Roy flies to Chicago

03/03/06 - Married

03/29/06 - EAD/AOS Sent

06/06/06 - EAD Approved

07/11/06 - AOS Approved - w/o interview

07/17/06 - GC Received....

I-751 - Lifting Conditions

04/01/08 - Sent to Nebraska

04/03/08 - NOA1 Notice Date -- Trans to California

04/14/08 - Received NOA1 in mail

04/14/08 - Check cleared bank

04/24/08 - Biometrics letter received

05/02/08 - Biometrics scheduled

10/10/08 - Card Ordered

10/16/08 - Card received -- DONE!!!

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
I got my heart!!!! (L)

Okay, nevermind....I got my heart a long time ago.....just me hallucinating again!! That's what happens when I try to do something without having a pot of coffee first :blink:

What was that movie when everyday the person woke up they forgot everything that happened before....yeah, that's me!!

i think that movie was groundhog's day

Timeline
unless it snows where she lives....I am kinda spoiled with Cali weather....that is my only problem...thinking about Florida though......

..BUT..then you have to wory about the 10 hurricaines a year they get.. :blink:

2/1/2010- AOS , EAD. AP Mailed via USPS priority mail

2/3/2010- Received - via USPS delivery tracking

2/9/2010- Check Cashed

2/9/2010- NOA 1 Received for 131, 765, 485

2/17/2010- Received letter for biometrics

2/19/2010- Completed biometrics via early "walk in'

2/22/2010- Touched on I-765, 48

2/24/2010- Case transferred to CSC

4/2/2010 Card Production Ordered for I-765, AP touched (Yea!!)

4/8/10- Approval notice for I-765 sent via email/ AP touched

4/10/2010 Received AP.

4/12/10 Received EAD-

7/6/10 Contacted USCIS because now Outside normal processing time

7/23/10 Got RFE asking for proof of legitimate marriage- 1page and 1/4 of proofs

8/23/10 sent off RFE response via Expressmail

8/24/10 Received by CSC

9/2/10 Email from USCIS- Card Production Ordered

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Good morning Ladies,

hope everyone is doing great on this beautiful blessed day.

I just found out that my classmate from Jamaica was murdered in Jamaica a few weeks ago ( the guy that was killed for his cell phone- stupid razor phones).

Have a blessed day everyone.

I do not wish to share any information about this dead end journey.........I have reached my final destination on this train, and it is time for me to get off.

THIS TOO SHALL PASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"If marriage means you fell in love, does divorce mean you climbed out?"

"You never really know a man until you have divorced him."-Zsa Zsa Gabor

"When a man hath taken a wife, and married her, and it come to pass that she find no favour in his eyes, because he hath found some uncleanness in her: then let him write her a bill of divorcement, and give it in her hand, and send her out of his house. And when she is departed out of his house, she may go and be another man's wife." Deuteronomy 24:1-2

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on." - Franklin D. Roosevelt

"When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us." - Helen Keller

"Even though you may want to move forward in your life, you may have one foot on the brakes. In order to be free, we must learn how to let go. Release the hurt. Release the fear. Refuse to entertain your old pain. The energy it takes to hang onto the past is holding you back from a new life. What is it you would let go of today?" - Mary Manin Morrissey

"I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Theresa

Timeline
I got my heart!!!! (L)

CONGRATS :dance:

2/1/2010- AOS , EAD. AP Mailed via USPS priority mail

2/3/2010- Received - via USPS delivery tracking

2/9/2010- Check Cashed

2/9/2010- NOA 1 Received for 131, 765, 485

2/17/2010- Received letter for biometrics

2/19/2010- Completed biometrics via early "walk in'

2/22/2010- Touched on I-765, 48

2/24/2010- Case transferred to CSC

4/2/2010 Card Production Ordered for I-765, AP touched (Yea!!)

4/8/10- Approval notice for I-765 sent via email/ AP touched

4/10/2010 Received AP.

4/12/10 Received EAD-

7/6/10 Contacted USCIS because now Outside normal processing time

7/23/10 Got RFE asking for proof of legitimate marriage- 1page and 1/4 of proofs

8/23/10 sent off RFE response via Expressmail

8/24/10 Received by CSC

9/2/10 Email from USCIS- Card Production Ordered

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.