Kristina&Baz

Affidavit of Support I-864, worried about finances

9 posts in this topic

My fiance and I are looking to move towards filing a K-1 for him to come to the United States sometime in the near future. The main issue I have is that I currently do not make enough to file the affidavit of support - I make just around $14K annually, and would need to make $18,912 to fit the 125% poverty guideline for 2 people. I do not have enough assets (5x the difference = appx $25k) and I do not have anyone who is willing to co-sponsor. While reading through the boards, I saw that people are saying the affidavit of support is embassy-specific, and that not all embassies require it. Is this true? We would be applying through the United Kingdom embassy, which (from what I saw) does not have the I-864 listed in the forms it requires.

Has anyone gone through this process before, whether not qualifying to file the I-864, or simply going through the K-1 process with the UK embassy? I'm getting my hopes up, I know, but this Affidavit of Support has been causing my fiance and I a large amount of grief, and any insight would be great. Thank you!

regMic0.jpg

Our Journey

11.09.11 - First met
03.30.13 - Got engaged!
05.30.13 - Got married at New York City Hall
06.21.13 - Sent off AOS/Petition packet
06.24.13 - Packet received at Chicago lockbox (NOA1)
07.24.13 - Biometrics Appointment
07.26.13 - RFE on I-485 regarding I-864

09.14.13 - RFE resubmitted
09.25.13 - EAD approved

10.07.13 - EAD received in the mail
10.10.13 - Notice of interview scheduling received
11.19.13 - Interview
11.27.13 - Approval of application!!!

11.09.15 - Sent off RoC packet (on the 4th anniversary of our first date!)
11.12.15 - Packet received at California Service Center (NOA1)
12.07.15 - Early biometrics walk-in in Chatsworth, CA
12.17.15 - Biometrics appointment scheduled by USCIS

04.26.16 - Approval of RoC, 10 year green card received

02.14.17 - Sent off N-400 packet

02.17.17 - Packaged received

03.14.17 - Biometrics appointment cancelled due to inclement weather, new date pending

04.28.17 - USCIS InfoPass appointment, did biometrics as same-day walk-in

10.25.17 - N-400 interview, more information requested

11.08.17 - Mailed requested paperwork to USCIS

12.05.17 - Received oath ceremony appointment

01.03.18 - Oath ceremony in Brooklyn, NY

k6Som4.png

i1qGm4.png
fBpgm8.png

No, every embassy is the same and you have to make 18,912 or more to be able to sponsor him. Assuming it's only you and him than thats how much you have to make..For k-1 visa they dont use the I-864 they use the I-134. Why dont you just find a part time job you can always combine the income. you make 14k for the other job and than find another job that you can make 5 to 6k to meet the poverty guideline.. Good luck dear!!

Peårl £ûvs «Aåmïr»

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

My fiance and I are looking to move towards filing a K-1 for him to come to the United States sometime in the near future. The main issue I have is that I currently do not make enough to file the affidavit of support - I make just around $14K annually, and would need to make $18,912 to fit the 125% poverty guideline for 2 people. I do not have enough assets (5x the difference = appx $25k) and I do not have anyone who is willing to co-sponsor. While reading through the boards, I saw that people are saying the affidavit of support is embassy-specific, and that not all embassies require it. Is this true? We would be applying through the United Kingdom embassy, which (from what I saw) does not have the I-864 listed in the forms it requires.

Has anyone gone through this process before, whether not qualifying to file the I-864, or simply going through the K-1 process with the UK embassy? I'm getting my hopes up, I know, but this Affidavit of Support has been causing my fiance and I a large amount of grief, and any insight would be great. Thank you!

The UK embassy is the exception to the main rule. It's a I-134 you file with a K-1, not an I-864. You can have a co-sponsor at the London Embassy that is the primary sponsor and the beneficiary (UK citizen) has the option to self-sponsor. My fiance is self-sponsoring at London and my father is filing the I-134 sponsorship for him as I am a freelancer and can't show enough proof of income.

No, every embassy is the same and you have to make 18,912 or more to be able to sponsor him. Assuming it's only you and him than thats how much you have to make..For k-1 visa they dont use the I-864 they use the I-134. Why dont you just find a part time job you can always combine the income. you make 14k for the other job and than find another job that you can make 5 to 6k to meet the poverty guideline.. Good luck dear!!

Actually, the London embassy is a sort-of-exception. They allow co-sposnors (someone not the petitioner) to be the sole sponsor and allow for the beneficiary to self-sponsor.

I am the USC/petitioner.

Our K-1 Journey
12/19/2012 - Mailed I-129F via USPS Express
12/21/2012 - I-129F arrives in Lewisville, TX according to USPS tracking (delayed because it's the USPS)
12/21/2012 - NOA1 date of receipt
12/26/2012 - NOA1 received via text/email
12/27/2012 - Checked cashed by USCIS
12/31/2012 - Alien Number changed (NOA1 hardcopy in post, but was away for 2 weeks prior)

05/16/2013 - NOA2 received via text/email

05/20/2013 - NOA2 hardcopy received in post

05/28/2013 - NVC receives packet and assigns London case number

07/15/2013 - Sent all paperwork/medical complete

08/23/2013 - Receive Interview Date

09/19/2013 - Interview

Filed: Timeline

good.gifgood.gifgood.gifgood.gifgood.gif

Every Consulate requires the Affidavit with the I-134, when you do the AOS the requirement is form I-864.

Timeline

The UK embassy is the exception to the main rule. It's a I-134 you file with a K-1, not an I-864. You can have a co-sponsor at the London Embassy that is the primary sponsor and the beneficiary (UK citizen) has the option to self-sponsor. My fiance is self-sponsoring at London and my father is filing the I-134 sponsorship for him as I am a freelancer and can't show enough proof of income.

Actually, the London embassy is a sort-of-exception. They allow co-sposnors (someone not the petitioner) to be the sole sponsor and allow for the beneficiary to self-sponsor.

I was just about to make a new post asking a very similar question, but this is music to my ears! This is my first post to the boards, actually. I'm currently self-employed and can't show proof of income as well. My partner is in the UK. My parents have already agreed to sponsor him, so we'll have them, but he can also sponsor himself?! I've been worried about not being able to show my proof of income for a while and we're planning on starting the process soon. Is there a website that you can direct us to that shows this bit of information (about him being able to sponsor himself, or my parents being the sole sponsor?) Thanks!! =)

Timeline:
(All that silly romance stuff first heart.gif )
June 2011 - We started talking online
April 2012 - He came to visit in the US
August 2012 - I went to visit him in the UK
December 2012 to January 2013 - He came for Xmas and New Years

March 2013 - I went to visit him in the UK
June and July 2013 - He came to visit in the US

June 29, 2013 - He asked me to marry him!!
October 2013 - I visited him in the UK
January 2014 - He's coming to visit for 3 weeks!

Our Visa Journey:

Sent our I-129f packet: August 8, 2013
Received NOA1: August 16, 2013
Received NOA2: September 27, 2013

NVC Received: ??
NVC Left: November 6, 2013 (electronic copy)
Consulate Received: ??

Timeline

I was just about to make a new post asking a very similar question, but this is music to my ears! This is my first post to the boards, actually. I'm currently self-employed and can't show proof of income as well. My partner is in the UK. My parents have already agreed to sponsor him, so we'll have them, but he can also sponsor himself?! I've been worried about not being able to show my proof of income for a while and we're planning on starting the process soon. Is there a website that you can direct us to that shows this bit of information (about him being able to sponsor himself, or my parents being the sole sponsor?) Thanks!! =)

Hello twin. I made a post about self-sponsorship a while ago on the UK section where people from the UK gave some pretty good advice. You can check it out here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/405887-k-1-self-sponsorship/

But yes. You can either self-sponsor or get a sponsor that is not you. My fiance is going to present documents to self-sponsor first and if asked, and only if asked, he'll present my father's I-134 as a sponsor too (I'm going to fill out the form as well just in case, but it shouldn't be needed).

Basically, there's no real set number and people on VJ have self-sponsore with $8,000 in the bank to $40,000. The UK guidelines for this are here: http://london.usembassy.gov/faffidavit.html

Feel free to PM me if you ever want to chat about the process or anything!

good.gifgood.gifgood.gifgood.gifgood.gif

Every Consulate requires the Affidavit with the I-134, when you do the AOS the requirement is form I-864.

London, actually, does not require an I-134 as per their rules: http://london.usembassy.gov/faffidavit.html

Though it is recommended that people have one filled out by someone just in case.

I am the USC/petitioner.

Our K-1 Journey
12/21/2012 - I-129F arrives in Lewisville, TX according to USPS tracking (delayed because it's the USPS)
12/31/2012 - Alien Number changed (NOA1 hardcopy in post, but was away for 2 weeks prior)

09/19/2013 - Interview

This is interesting news...but I'm still somewhat confused, as I've never run across this information at all before. Are you saying that my fiance can self-sponsor, without me and my (not adequate) income? His income is actually perfectly fine, and he makes more than enough (he's self employed and if he works his butt off, he can amass a bunch of income for his bank account as well), I've just been worried sick about my end of the bargain and not making enough. I spoke with an immigration lawyer and he never brought this up, he just kept saying that I could get someone else to sponsor him (which will not be happening, unfortunately).

Is there another form that they would ask for, if he were self-sponsoring? I know that the I-134 and I-864 are for *my* information, but what about his? Also, if he is self-sponsoring, do they also want to see my information, even if I don't make the 125% of the poverty level guidelines? I think I am also getting confused about co-sponsoring, since I think it was just said that the UK is the only country that allows for it, but if I recall, I've heard of people co-sponsoring (eg petitioner's parents, friends, relatives, etc) pretty frequently. Maybe I'm getting mixed up somewhere?

I think we may need to hire an immigration lawyer that specializes in (potentially UK-based) fiancee visas...I'd like to go it alone, but I feel like we'll hit a lot of snags. Did you guys use lawyers, or are you going it alone?

I have to say, reading the link from the london embassy definitely made me feel better, and a bit less stressed. We want this to happen very badly, and I hate that it's all based on me getting a job that makes x or y amount of money. Thank you so SO much for the advice provided so far!

regMic0.jpg

Our Journey

11.09.11 - First met
03.30.13 - Got engaged!

09.25.13 - EAD approved

11.19.13 - Interview

03.14.17 - Biometrics appointment cancelled due to inclement weather, new date pending

k6Som4.png

i1qGm4.png
fBpgm8.png

Timeline

This is interesting news...but I'm still somewhat confused, as I've never run across this information at all before. Are you saying that my fiance can self-sponsor, without me and my (not adequate) income? His income is actually perfectly fine, and he makes more than enough (he's self employed and if he works his butt off, he can amass a bunch of income for his bank account as well), I've just been worried sick about my end of the bargain and not making enough. I spoke with an immigration lawyer and he never brought this up, he just kept saying that I could get someone else to sponsor him (which will not be happening, unfortunately).

Is there another form that they would ask for, if he were self-sponsoring? I know that the I-134 and I-864 are for *my* information, but what about his? Also, if he is self-sponsoring, do they also want to see my information, even if I don't make the 125% of the poverty level guidelines? I think I am also getting confused about co-sponsoring, since I think it was just said that the UK is the only country that allows for it, but if I recall, I've heard of people co-sponsoring (eg petitioner's parents, friends, relatives, etc) pretty frequently. Maybe I'm getting mixed up somewhere?

I think we may need to hire an immigration lawyer that specializes in (potentially UK-based) fiancee visas...I'd like to go it alone, but I feel like we'll hit a lot of snags. Did you guys use lawyers, or are you going it alone?

I have to say, reading the link from the london embassy definitely made me feel better, and a bit less stressed. We want this to happen very badly, and I hate that it's all based on me getting a job that makes x or y amount of money. Thank you so SO much for the advice provided so far!

Yes the UK citizen can self-sponsor. Please check out the links I posted in regards to those details.

There is no other form, but please look at the link to the embassy website I posted. Basically he will need notarized bank statements with proof than the funds are accessible in the US, proof of continuing income through self-employment in the US (ex: internet business), recent valuation of property, etc. as per embassy website suggestions.

Fill yours out in case they ASK for it, but if he self-sponsors or you get a co-sponsor that makes more than enough, yours will probably not be asked for. The co-sponsor fills out the I-134.

Many countries allow for co-sponsors. The UK is the only one that allows for self-sponsor.

I was going to hire an immigration lawyer, but it wasn't worth it. Aside from the income issue, we had no other problems. And I discovered the self-sponsorship here on VJ and none of the lawyers or immigration officers I spoke to even mentioned it. So. My recommendation is to not go with a lawyer if the finance is your only concern, as VJ is a wealth of knowledge and most people here can speak through experience versus a lawyer who can only speak from reading (and so much of this process is subjective). Be sure to check out the UK-region specific forum here, too.

The embassy reviews are very helpful indeed!

EDIT: We are still ages away from the interview stage, but many members here have reassured us and the embassy website has been a help in assuring us. The embassy reviews here are almost invaluable!

Edited by BaBamSam

I am the USC/petitioner.

Our K-1 Journey

09/19/2013 - Interview

Yes the UK citizen can self-sponsor. Please check out the links I posted in regards to those details.

There is no other form, but please look at the link to the embassy website I posted. Basically he will need notarized bank statements with proof than the funds are accessible in the US, proof of continuing income through self-employment in the US (ex: internet business), recent valuation of property, etc. as per embassy website suggestions.

Fill yours out in case they ASK for it, but if he self-sponsors or you get a co-sponsor that makes more than enough, yours will probably not be asked for. The co-sponsor fills out the I-134.

Many countries allow for co-sponsors. The UK is the only one that allows for self-sponsor.

I was going to hire an immigration lawyer, but it wasn't worth it. Aside from the income issue, we had no other problems. And I discovered the self-sponsorship here on VJ and none of the lawyers or immigration officers I spoke to even mentioned it. So. My recommendation is to not go with a lawyer if the finance is your only concern, as VJ is a wealth of knowledge and most people here can speak through experience versus a lawyer who can only speak from reading (and so much of this process is subjective). Be sure to check out the UK-region specific forum here, too.

The embassy reviews are very helpful indeed!

EDIT: We are still ages away from the interview stage, but many members here have reassured us and the embassy website has been a help in assuring us. The embassy reviews here are almost invaluable!

Thank you!! I read all of the links and scoured them, but I guess I'm just worried since I've come across so many things where they don't mention needing a specific form, except turns out you DO need it, it just wasn't spelled out (by either a personal account or a gov't agency website). I'm always erring towards the side of being overly wary regarding such things. I guess it also seems like it's too good to be true, given all the information I've been scouring for the last 6 months or so.

I'm definitely going to delve further into the UK-specific forum as well, looks to be a wealth of information as well. Thank you so much for the links to the examples earlier!

regMic0.jpg

Our Journey

11.09.11 - First met
03.30.13 - Got engaged!

09.25.13 - EAD approved

11.19.13 - Interview

k6Som4.png

i1qGm4.png
fBpgm8.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.