I AM NOT THAT GUY

Another Republican Congressman on Rape

87 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
Republican: Akin `partly right' on rape comment

WASHINGTON — Republican Rep. Phil Gingrey, an OB-GYN since 1975, said former Rep. Todd Akin was "partly right" when he said women's bodies can avoid pregnancy in cases of "legitimate rape."

"Part of the reason the Dems still control the Senate is because of comments made in Missouri by Todd Akin and Indiana by Mourdock were considered a little bit over the top," Gingrey said, according to the newspaper. "Mourdock basically said `Look, if there is conception in the aftermath of a rape, that's still a child, and it's a child of God, essentially.' Now, in Indiana, that cost him the election.

"And in Missouri, Todd Akin . was asked by a local news source about rape and he said, `Look, in a legitimate rape situation' — and what he meant by legitimate rape was just, look, someone can say I was raped: a scared-to-death 15-year-old that becomes impregnated by her boyfriend and then has to tell her parents — that's pretty tough — and might on some occasion say, `Hey, I was raped.' That's what he meant when he said legitimate rape versus non-legitimate rape.

"I don't find anything so horrible about that," Gingrey said. "But then he went on and said that in a situation of rape, of a legitimate rape, a woman's body has a way of shutting down so the pregnancy would not occur. He's partly right on that."

Gingrey added that he has been an OB-GYN since 1975 and understands pregnancies.

"And I've delivered lots of babies, and I know about these things. It is true. We tell infertile couples all the time that are having trouble conceiving because of the woman not ovulating, `Just relax. Drink a glass of wine. And don't be so tense and uptight, because all that adrenaline can cause you not to ovulate.' So he was partially right, wasn't he?" Gingrey said. "But the fact that a woman may have already ovulated 12 hours before she is raped, you're not going to prevent a pregnancy there by a woman's body shutting anything down, because the horse has already left the barn, so to speak. And yet the media took that and tore it apart," the congressman said.

However, the six-term Georgia lawmaker issued a statement Friday, the day after his comments, saying his position was misconstrued and that he neither defends nor stands by Akin's remark.

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/news-politics/20130111/US.Congressman.Rape/

"`Look, in a legitimate rape situation' — and what he meant by legitimate rape was just, look, someone can say I was raped: a scared-to-death 15-year-old that becomes impregnated by her boyfriend and then has to tell her parents — that's pretty tough — and might on some occasion say, `Hey, I was raped.' That's what he meant when he said legitimate rape versus non-legitimate rape."

What the eff ... how is that "partly right"?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

"`Look, in a legitimate rape situation' — and what he meant by legitimate rape was just, look, someone can say I was raped: a scared-to-death 15-year-old that becomes impregnated by her boyfriend and then has to tell her parents — that's pretty tough — and might on some occasion say, `Hey, I was raped.' That's what he meant when he said legitimate rape versus non-legitimate rape."

What the eff ... how is that "partly right"?

"But then he went on and said that in a situation of rape, of a legitimate rape, a woman's body has a way of shutting down so the pregnancy would not occur. He's partly right on that."

He was referring to a situation of rape and women's bodies shutting down. Which is totally BS.

July 09, 2012 - Sent in application for I-129f petition for K1 Visa
Dec. 31, 2012 - NOA2
Feb. 23, 2013 - Visa received
March 31, 2013 - POE
April 12, 2013 - Wedding! (41213 prime!)

May 02, 2013 - Sent off AOS, EAD, AP package

May 04, 2013 - Package arrived at Chicago lockbox

May 22, 2013 - Early walk in Biometrics, Alexandria VA

June 03, 2013 - RFE for AOS

June 17, 2013 - RFE response received

July 05, 2013 - EAD and AP approved

July 10, 2013 - EAD card production

[quote name=^_^' timestamp='1357932859' post='5916843]

the super-principled types tend to lack people skills.

super-principled types or super-unscientific types?

And he also said but somehow this got left out----"Where Akin was wrong, Gingrey said, was in suggesting that a pregnancy could never or almost never result from rape. " All he said is that it can happen and went on to say he does not support what he said.

What he said is a fact. Something liberals don't understand..

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

This legitimate rape thing is mind boggling. Are they saying people who get pregnant at the most inopportune time have been legitimately raped?

What is mind boggling is the suggestion that a pregnancy resulting from a rape might in any way, shape or form, indicate the rape was legal. I really am surprised they haven't yet come up with the definition of 'justifiable rape'. To be sure, all this beating around the bush can't lead to any other conclusion!

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org