Iviez

Questions about my situation and the K-1 visa (studies and sponsor)

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi all!

I'm Brazilian and my boyfriend is American. We want to get married, and I would go live with him on the United States. We have a couple questions about the K1 visa:

1- I'm currently going to veterinary medicine college, I'm on my second year. I'm not sure yet if I would be able to transfer my studies to an US school but, If possible to transfer, how far into the K1 visa process I'd be able to study again?

2- My boyfriend works with his dad, which is self-employed and has a $ 60,000 income . He recently started working with him, so he has very little income. His dad said he will sponsor us until I start working. Does having a sponsor reduces the chance of our petition getting accepted?

Thank you all in advance!

Edited by Iviez

I would assume that as soon as you have a Social Security card you would be able to study. It really depends on the school and what proof of residency that they want. You might want to contact one of your front running choices to see.

A sponsor should not reduce the chance of a visa being given (the petition is the first bit, the sponsor is for the actual visa) presuming that your consulate accepts cosponsors. Most do.

England.gif England!

And in this crazy life, and through these crazy times

It's you, it's you, You make me sing.

You're every line, you're every word, you're everything.

b0cb1a39c4.png

ROC Timeline

Sent: 7/21/12

NOA1: 7/23/12

Touch: 7/24/2012

Biometrics: 8/24/2012

Card Production Ordered: 3/6/2013

*Eligible for Naturalization: October 13, 2013*

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hi all!

I'm Brazilian and my boyfriend is American. We want to get married, and I would go live with him on the United States. We have a couple questions about the K1 visa:

1- I'm currently going to veterinary medicine college, I'm on my second year. I'm not sure yet if I would be able to transfer my studies to an US school but, If possible to transfer, how far into the K1 visa process I'd be able to study again?

2- My boyfriend works with his dad, which is self-employed and has a $ 60,000 income . He recently started working with him, so he has very little income. His dad said he will sponsor us until I start working. Does having a sponsor reduces the chance of our petition getting accepted?

Thank you all in advance!

1. Get your education thus far evaluated by a US equivilency evaluator, such as ECE. Get your transcripts, any diplomas, etc., get them translated and have them evaluated. We used "ECE" (google ECE) but there are others also. Apply to schools in the US. There is no restriction on a K-1 studying and you do not need a green card to attend school. You DO need a green card to qualify for Federal Student Loans, but not for private grants or loans or school financing. My wife began a masters program 5 days after her arrival

2. No. Unless the consulate you are using does not accept them. I have not heard that about Brazil

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I would assume that as soon as you have a Social Security card you would be able to study. It really depends on the school and what proof of residency that they want. You might want to contact one of your front running choices to see.

A sponsor should not reduce the chance of a visa being given (the petition is the first bit, the sponsor is for the actual visa) presuming that your consulate accepts cosponsors. Most do.

A lot depends on the schools, it is true. MOST do not require a SS number UNLESS you are getting some sort of loan or grant which must be reported (Alla did) and then they want to have a SS number. K-1s are eligible immediately for an SS number. Alla had hers the day after she arrived, the card came 6 days later.

"Residency" is another matter entirely. Alla attended a private university and there was no such thing as "residency". Residency usually applies to publically funded colleges and rules vary by state. Again this has nothing to do with whether you CAN attend but may affect the tuition you pay.

At any rate, education is not an immigration issue for K-1s

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.