slidingdoors

Divorce initiated 2 months after being approved for conditional GC :(

2 posts in this topic

So my wife just asked for a divorce. She said that she regrets asking me to marry her and that she's not motivated to make the marriage work (she wants to be independent.) I feel like ###### but it's important to me that I don't throw my life away a second time (the first being when I agreed to marry her.)

I'm worried about ROC because of how short our relationship was (8 months) and how short our marriage was (7 months). I'm tempted to get an immigration lawyer this time (we didn't the last time around.) Any experienced VJers want to help me out here with some advice?

Currently I have the same info I took the interview:

-Joint bank info

-Wife listed as sole beneficiary of retirement benefits

-Wife listed as beneficiary in will

-Wife listed on drivers license

-Wife changed her name to mine

-Affidavits from friends and family

-Joint utility bills

-I paid her student loans for two months (the payments started only 2 months ago)

-Photos

I really hope this is enough for ROC. I'm already crushed beyond belief and being sent from the country in addition would be horrible. Anyone with similar experiences?

06/2011 - Moved to Minneapolis, MN

10/2011 - Met for the first time

11/2011 - First date

02/2012 - Engaged :D

06/2012 - Married :')

06/25/2012 (Day 00) - Sent AOS Package to Chicago Lockbox

06/30/2012 (Day 03) - Received E-mail Receipt #s

07/10/2012 (Day 14) - Received NOAs in mail + Biometrics Appt. Notice

08/03/2012 (Day 38) - Biometrics completed

08/29/2012 (Day 65) - EAD/AP Card Production Ordered

08/30/2012 (Day 66) - I131 Approval Notice Mailed

09/05/2012 (Day 72) - EAD/AP Card Mailed

09/07/2012 (Day 74) - EAD/AP Card Received

11/4/2012 (Day 132) - Interview Notice Received (Date: Dec. 7th)

Sorry that you are experiencing all this. Firstly, slow down and don't rush into making decisions yet.

two, be sure that you want to stay in USA not go back home.

third, do not attempt to ROC as if you are still married, that is fraud. You can ROC on your own as a divorced person if you have evidence that you came here and married in good faith. The key is that you married in good faith, not for immigration purposes. I'm sure there are others who will be able to give you more detail, just wanted to let you know there is a way ahead for you, so you don't keep worrying too much.

AOS Timeline
Filed 15th June, 2012
NOA date 18th June
Bio appt 20th July
Transferred to CSC 21st July, 2012
EAD/AP approved 27th August.
Received Green Card 6th October. No Interview. Amazing!
Thanks for all the help, see you again in June 2014

ROC Timeline

Mailed Package 30th June 2014

I-797 received 5th July, 2014

Biometrics Appointment 07/30/2014.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.