Nate&Phung

K-1

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

hi everyone, happy new year

i have alot of questions please help me and sorry my english is not too good :)

my boyfriend and i meet online in august 2012, and he came to visit me in december for 2 weeks, we went to a few places in vietnam, and took some pictures. my questions are can he apply for fiance visa after the first visit? do we need to have an engaement party? i know to vietnamese people engagement party is very important but is it important for the fiance visa? what is to do list for k-1 visa

thank you and have a nice day!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

hi there,

If I were you and your bf, I suggest not to apply for the fiance visa yet.

Give it more time to get to know each other, talk on the phone, chat online more.

This way you have more records of communication. And I would try to keep a log of phone calls, yahoo messenger, skype...

It's good that took pictures when you travel during the 2 weeks. But those are not enough. He probably should come back to Vietnam at least 2 more times to spend more time with you to get to know you. It's only 5 months that you know each other online and only 2 weeks in Vietnam. You definitely NEED an engagement party and take a lot of pictures.

If you don't do what I suggested, I am certain you will have difficulty with obtaining the visa which will only bring MORE DELAY. Spend more time getting to know each other. He's the one you are marrying for life so there's no need to hurry to come over the US. Trust me, it's not heaven as one would imagine. Do spend more time reading this forum. And have you bf read this site too as he will be the one doing the paperwork, unless you plan to hire someone.

Take your time and everything will fall into place. Hurry and you will fail.

Best!

my boyfriend and i meet online in august 2012, and he came to visit me in december for 2 weeks, we went to a few places in vietnam, and took some pictures. my questions are can he apply for fiance visa after the first visit? do we need to have an engaement party? i know to vietnamese people engagement party is very important but is it important for the fiance visa? what is to do list for k-1 visa

You will run into a lot of questions and possibly blue at the interview. I suggest you wait for him to come on a 2nd trip. Have at least another member of his family travel with him to vietnam and take pictures together. There are few couples here didn't have engagement party and they passed the interview but those are a very small percentage.

Timeline

I would recommend take more time to get to know each other and make at least one or more trips to Vietnam. The consulate in HCMC is very strict and you both basically have to do everything possible to prove your relationship is real. That means going above and beyond what is required by USCIS. Try to read as much as possible on the older threads in this forum and check out the different red flags that other members have faced. This will help you both avoid any delays. There are also some senior members in this forum that can provide you with really good insight.

Also, try to save everything. Receipts from hotels together, airplane stubs, visas, photos, chat logs, emails, letters, phone cards, etc.

My wife and I did not have a Dam Hoi but this has been a red flag for many other members so if you choose not to do so, you should be prepared for a very strong explanation as to why. The consulate may ask how someone can marry a Vietnamese and not follow the cultural norms.

Best of luck to you both.

Timeline

Here is the to do list: http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

he can have friends come as stand in's

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Timeline

thank you all, he doesn't have anyone to come if we have an egagment party, his father is 92 he can't travel, looks like hes gonna come to vietnam by himself.

My mother couldn't come either. I was told that Vietnamese custom is that if one or both parents can't be involved then another close friend or family member can stand in, preferably a couple who are happily married (brings good luck to the new marriage). I brought my sister and her husband. They were thrilled with the opportunity to go, and had a great time, although when it came time to eat the bitter fruit my brother in-law just pocketed it and smiled :blush:

A lot of people just get friends of Vietnamese beneficiary's family to stand in for the petitioner's family, but I think the consulate likes to see the petitioner go to a little more effort than that.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Post made by banned member puppet account removed

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Timeline

Jim is right. I had absolutely no family or friends to represent me at the engagement so a relative of my wife and her husband stodd in for my family. Do the best you can but if its not possible for family to make it to VN, try not to worry. Im sure the Consulate will understand

K1 Visa Stage
Aug 23, 2010: I-129F NOA 1
Feb 07, 2011: I-129F NOA 2
May 23, 2011: Interview. Blue Slip
Jun 20, 2011: Submit Documents: 1) Timeline, 2) 10 year residency(me), 3) 10 year residency(Thu), 4) Letter explaining how/where we met. Second Blue Slip
Feb 03, 2012: U.S. Consulate Investigators call Thu's residence. Spoke to Thu and Thu's parents
Feb 27, 2012: Received email from the U.S. Consulate that our case is finished processing. Requested to submit updated Police & Medical papers.
Mar 06, 2012: Submitted updated Police & Medical papers.
Mar 21, 2012: Received K1 Visa
Apr 07, 2012: Point of Entry @ LAX

Adjustment of Status Stage
Apr 23, 2012: Got married!
Apr 30, 2012: Received Social Security Card
Jun 30, 2012: Applied for AOS
Sep 22, 2012: Received Employment Authorization Card...Still waiting for 2 yr GC

May 01, 2013: Received 2yr GC

Removal of Conditions Stage

Apr 18, 2015: Will apply for 10yr GC

You could file for k1 and have your engagement party on your second trip. Explain it in your timeline letter and by the time you go to interview your new evidence will show your engagement party along with more evidence of bonifide relationship like letters,phone records etc. I made 2 trips to Nam and wasn't there for her interview and she made home to me in 10 months. Nothing guaranteed it's the risk I took.

Best wishes. Rich

The Buddha said "The more loving the more suffering"

By birth is not one an outcast,

By birth is not one a noble,but

By action is one an outcast,

By action is one a noble.

Buddha.

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Thank you everyone, and yes, he will make another trip in april, my family is baptist so we will not have a vietnamese budhist traditional ceremony. We do what we can, his familly or friends cant make it, its too expensive to come here so not everyone can afford it :)

Thanks so much all

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.