Misha♥Jeff

Positive TB Culture - How to extend NOA 2?

19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi everyone,

Well we got the dreaded news that Michelle's culture came back positive. Even though she does not have active TB, they discovered bacteria in her culture (probably contracted/inhaled it during OJT from nursing school). In any case, she has already started the 6-month meds treatment...every day at St. Lukes, Manila. So sad that we need to wait another 6 months to start our lives together but happy that she will be completely bacteria free!

My question for the VJ family is:

What do we need to do to extend the NOA 2 approval which expires next month, well before she completes the treatment? Does St. Lukes communicate to the Embassy, or is it up to us to apply for an extension.

Thanks again,

Michelle and Jeff

Edited by Misha & Jeff

Timeline

I'm really sorry for the sad news, I am sorry i dont have any idea about NOA2 expiration, i just have a question though. Michelle'exam was nov 12 right? when did the st. lukes called you and informed you that culture was positive? Thanks

06/25/2008 : Met for the first time

07/25/2011 : Met for the 2nd time, HE PROPOSED!

04/06/2012 : Sent I29-F Package

04/09/2012 : NOA1 received

10/03/2012 : NOA2 (no RFE)

11/15/2012 : Med Exam @ St.Lukes (scar found on xray film)

11/19/2012 : start of my 3-day sputum exam

11/21/2012 : 3 smear result is negative but have to wait 2 months for culture and sensitivity test result

01/21/2013 : PASSED the med exam! smile.png

01/28/2013 : Interview at USEM(7:30AM)-- APPROVED

02/02/2013 : Visa on Hand

02/25/2013 : USA entry

03/12/2013 : Got Married, got SSN after 4 days

04/08/2013 : Filed/sent AOS, EAD, AP

04/22/2013 : NOA1 letter received with biometrics appontment

05/15/2013 : biometrics

06/25/2013 : received the EAD/AP combo card

Timeline

I'm really sorry for the sad news, I am sorry i dont have any idea about NOA2 expiration, i just have a question though. Michelle'exam was nov 12 right? when did the st. lukes called you and informed you that culture was positive? Thanks

Hi pigmonk. St. Lukes called her on December 7th, about 4 weeks after her sputum test. I was visiting in Manila when Michelle got the news. She is already one month into the treatment :-)

Timeline

Hi pigmonk. St. Lukes called her on December 7th, about 4 weeks after her sputum test. I was visiting in Manila when Michelle got the news. She is already one month into the treatment :-)

Thanks. I am also waiting for my result. Just over paranoid here :))

anyways, God Bless to both of you. The waiting will be over before you know it :)

06/25/2008 : Met for the first time

07/25/2011 : Met for the 2nd time, HE PROPOSED!

04/06/2012 : Sent I29-F Package

04/09/2012 : NOA1 received

10/03/2012 : NOA2 (no RFE)

11/15/2012 : Med Exam @ St.Lukes (scar found on xray film)

11/19/2012 : start of my 3-day sputum exam

11/21/2012 : 3 smear result is negative but have to wait 2 months for culture and sensitivity test result

01/21/2013 : PASSED the med exam! smile.png

01/28/2013 : Interview at USEM(7:30AM)-- APPROVED

02/02/2013 : Visa on Hand

02/25/2013 : USA entry

03/12/2013 : Got Married, got SSN after 4 days

04/08/2013 : Filed/sent AOS, EAD, AP

04/22/2013 : NOA1 letter received with biometrics appontment

05/15/2013 : biometrics

06/25/2013 : received the EAD/AP combo card

Timeline

The waiting will be over before you know it :)

I hope so. I want to be with her everyday...not just visit. Good luck to you two!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I hope so. I want to be with her everyday...not just visit. Good luck to you two!

Hi, I am so sorry that the culture came back positive. My fiance and I are currently (and impatiently) awaiting the results of her culture test. Another 4 weeks to go. In reference to the expiration of the VISA approval notice, I had been advised to have my fiance contact the embassy and submit the re-affirmation of intent to marry which contained the following sentence: "I am also requesting that the expiration date of the K1 Fiancée Visa approval notice be extended."

Since I have until the end of Feb, I am hoping we can get the interview schedule prior to then.

K1 Visa
Service Center: VSC
Consulate: Manila, Philippines

--------------------------------------------

2013-04-15: AOS Delivered
2013-04-23: Text/Email Arrived -> 11:23PM

2013-04-29: NOA HardCopies Arrived (USPS)

2013-05-03: Biometrics Appointment Letter Rec'd

2013-05-24: Biometrics Complete

2013-06-13: EAD Card in Production

2013-06-19: EAD Card is in the Mail

2013-06-21: EAD/AP Card Arrived! -> 67 days

2013-08-07: SSN/Card Received

2013-08-09: State ID Card Issued

2013-09-06: Interview Waiver Letter Rec'd

2013-10-25: Interview Scheduled

2106-03-03: Divorced

Timeline

Hi everyone,

Well we got the dreaded news that Michelle's culture came back positive. Even though she does not have active TB, they discovered bacteria in her culture (probably contracted/inhaled it during OJT from nursing school). In any case, she has already started the 6-month meds treatment...every day at St. Lukes, Manila. So sad that we need to wait another 6 months to start our lives together but happy that she will be completely bacteria free!

My question for the VJ family is:

What do we need to do to extend the NOA 2 approval which expires next month, well before she completes the treatment? Does St. Lukes communicate to the Embassy, or is it up to us to apply for an extension.

Thanks again,

Michelle and Jeff

Hi guys, we are so sorry to hear that you must wait another 6 months to be together. I thought you two were already together and we were really surprised to read this. Keep your head up, we hope Michelle gets well very soon. Please keep us posted and Best Wishes.

I Looooooove my baby Lyn.

Timeline

I had been advised to have my fiance contact the embassy and submit the re-affirmation of intent to marry which contained the following sentence: "I am also requesting that the expiration date of the K1 Fiancée Visa approval notice be extended."

Thanks Chelliot. We wish you guys the best of luck too. Quick question...WHO gave you that advice? the people at St. Lukes, or somebody from the Embassy?

M & J

Timeline

Hi guys, we are so sorry to hear that you must wait another 6 months to be together. I thought you two were already together and we were really surprised to read this. Keep your head up, we hope Michelle gets well very soon. Please keep us posted and Best Wishes.

Thanks guys for your concern. Hard part was that we were together when she got the call from St. Lukes...relaxing in her sala, watching TV. This was the last thing we expected. Michelle is fine. She has no symptoms and is healthy as ever. We just need to wait 5 more months while the meds kill the bacteria. I will go visit her again later this month. CAN'T WAIT!!!

Timeline

All you need to do for the extension is call the embassy and let them know what's happening. It shouldn't be any problem at all.

I hope it is as simple as that. I'd hate to have to go through the I-129F process again. Michelle will talk to them tomorrow.

I hope it is as simple as that. I'd hate to have to go through the I-129F process again. Michelle will talk to them tomorrow.

I can't make a guarantee, but that's all we had to do. Our's was about to expire in a month too. I was worried just like you are now, so I called and told them it was about to expire and their reply was pretty much, "okay, we'll extend it." It really was that easy. Hope your experience will be the same.

In reference to the expiration of the VISA approval notice, I had been advised to have my fiance contact the embassy and submit the re-affirmation of intent to marry which contained the following sentence: "I am also requesting that the expiration date of the K1 Fiancée Visa approval notice be extended."

^^^ I agree with emailing a request to the Embassy. However, you should have requested that your approved I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé(e) be revalidated (extended), not "a visa approval notice."

All you need to do for the extension is call the embassy and let them know what's happening. It shouldn't be any problem at all.

I can't make a guarantee, but that's all we had to do. Our's was about to expire in a month too. I was worried just like you are now, so I called and told them it was about to expire and their reply was pretty much, "okay, we'll extend it." It really was that easy. Hope your experience will be the same.

Normally, St. Lukes will notify the Embassy that a person is undergoing TB treatment and the Embassy will routinely revalidate the petition. However, a phone call to the Embassy is a good idea too. If it were me, I would email the Embassy. Either way, the Embassy will revalidate the petition for another four months. The Embassy will continue to revalidate a petition for up to one year.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks Chelliot. We wish you guys the best of luck too. Quick question...WHO gave you that advice? the people at St. Lukes, or somebody from the Embassy?

M & J

I spoke with an immigration attorney, who actually completed the paperwork and file the petition to USCIS.

K1 Visa
Service Center: VSC
Consulate: Manila, Philippines

--------------------------------------------

2013-04-15: AOS Delivered
2013-04-23: Text/Email Arrived -> 11:23PM

2013-04-29: NOA HardCopies Arrived (USPS)

2013-05-03: Biometrics Appointment Letter Rec'd

2013-05-24: Biometrics Complete

2013-06-13: EAD Card in Production

2013-06-19: EAD Card is in the Mail

2013-06-21: EAD/AP Card Arrived! -> 67 days

2013-08-07: SSN/Card Received

2013-08-09: State ID Card Issued

2013-09-06: Interview Waiver Letter Rec'd

2013-10-25: Interview Scheduled

2106-03-03: Divorced

Timeline

^^^ I agree with emailing a request to the Embassy. However, you should have requested that your approved I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé(e) be revalidated (extended), not "a visa approval notice."

Normally, St. Lukes will notify the Embassy that a person is undergoing TB treatment and the Embassy will routinely revalidate the petition. However, a phone call to the Embassy is a good idea too. If it were me, I would email the Embassy. Either way, the Embassy will revalidate the petition for another four months. The Embassy will continue to revalidate a petition for up to one year.

Thanks Tahoma for sharing your thoughts. I will email them, Michelle will call them, then when I am there later this month, I will stop by the embassy and confirm.

Edited by Misha & Jeff

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.