WantingMyHubby

Reviews of POE - Champlain, NY?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi all,

Mid-January, I'm crossing into the US via the Champlain POE (with an IR-1). Just looking for a bit of insight on how they proceed over there...

My immediate family is driving over the border with me to meet my hubby in Plattsburgh, as he's currently inadmissible to Canada. We'll be in 2 cars with all of my belongings - I called customs & immigration there and spoke briefly with an agent, who reassured me that I don't need any documentation for my goods since I'll be accompanying them (she said if anything, I can type up a brief list for each box). She said that as long as the 2nd car is right behind me, they're fine.

My hubby and I eloped almost 6 years ago, so I'm struggling with how to avoid being questioned too much whilst in the car, at the booth. I'm thinking of telling my family that I should be in the first car by myself, with the majority of my belongings. I love that we eloped, but this has definitely added some complications to our lives! Ah well - I'll hope that everything works out, plus I'm just happy to be at the point where I CAN worry about crossing the border, as this has been a long, drawn out process for us.

Thanks!

my husband crossed @ champlain - in the middle of the night. from what he told me, they knew what they were doing and it was a painless process. he ended up crossing three days before we had originally intended (i had hit a deer in jersey on my way to pick him up and was stranded in some godforsaken borough, my car totaled). he didn't cross with his belongings (we had his stuff trucked down to virginia). any way they'll have you and your family park and come in, where they'll do all your paperwork and then send you all on your way.

i'm not sure why you think you'll be questioned - if there is some outlying circumstance with your case - but you are activating your visa. at this point in the game CO's aren't questioning your relationship.

Timeline

my husband crossed @ champlain - in the middle of the night. from what he told me, they knew what they were doing and it was a painless process. he ended up crossing three days before we had originally intended (i had hit a deer in jersey on my way to pick him up and was stranded in some godforsaken borough, my car totaled). he didn't cross with his belongings (we had his stuff trucked down to virginia). any way they'll have you and your family park and come in, where they'll do all your paperwork and then send you all on your way.

i'm not sure why you think you'll be questioned - if there is some outlying circumstance with your case - but you are activating your visa. at this point in the game CO's aren't questioning your relationship.

Sounds like maybe her family does NOT know she is married. Most of the questioning (very basic questions usually) happen inside--When you drive up to the Window--let them know your entering with a CR-1/Ir-1 visa. Most likely tell you to park and then go inside....Just tell your family to wait in the car.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Sounds like maybe her family does NOT know she is married. Most of the questioning (very basic questions usually) happen inside--When you drive up to the Window--let them know your entering with a CR-1/Ir-1 visa. Most likely tell you to park and then go inside....Just tell your family to wait in the car.

i see, i wasn't getting that part...

then yes, wantingmyhubby, take flames' advice and have your family wait in the car. no guarantee nothing will be said, but i don't think they'll question you at the window if you tell them the nature of your business right away..

Timeline

Oh sorry, I definitely didn't make that part clear - no, my family doesn't know. Our little secret, although we're having our 'wedding' in March because the formality of it, and celebrating with close family & friends, is very important to me.

That's what I'll do then - hopefully the mention of my IR-1 visa will curb the questioning at the booth. I'll then tell my family to stay in the car.

Val, may I ask approximately how much it cost for you to truck your belongings down to Virginia? I don't have furniture or anything large to bring down with me so it's probably not worth hiring a company, I'm just curious.

Thanks for the input guys!

Oh sorry, I definitely didn't make that part clear - no, my family doesn't know. Our little secret, although we're having our 'wedding' in March because the formality of it, and celebrating with close family & friends, is very important to me.

That's what I'll do then - hopefully the mention of my IR-1 visa will curb the questioning at the booth. I'll then tell my family to stay in the car.

Val, may I ask approximately how much it cost for you to truck your belongings down to Virginia? I don't have furniture or anything large to bring down with me so it's probably not worth hiring a company, I'm just curious.

Thanks for the input guys!

i can't remember exactly, but it wasn't more than $500..i think it was closer to $400. if i remember correctly our invoice ended up being less than the original quote. he rented a studio apartment sized container - he did have some furniture. we had a completely painless experience with upack. it was actually one of the few painless experiences we've had with this whole immigration debacle thus far lol : )

quote is free http://www.upack.com/

good luck and congrats!

Edited by val erie

Timeline

I'm actually thinking of using U-Pack now. $400 is a great deal - where were you driving from?? My quote was more than double that (Montreal to Charlotte) for 5 feet of linear space, but I only have boxes to move so I shouldn't need more than that. When I add up the costs to move me down by car, plus the inconvenience for everyone involved, I think hiring a company now sounds like a great idea! Just have to call them to get details on what the process entails.

Oh yeah, PLUS, if I fly out of Montreal I'll be able to answer freely without the fear of my family hearing anything they shouldn't know.

• 1 month later...
Timeline

UPDATE: I used U-Pack for my move from Montreal, QC to Charlotte, NC. It cost me $830 CAD for 5 feet of linear space on a trailer (terminal to terminal, I only had 17 boxes so we loaded/unloaded ourselves)and my belongings arrived in 1.5 days. Both the Dorval, QC and Belmont, NC terminals had great staff that were helpful and friendly. I would use ABF U-Pack for another long-distance move and would recommend them to everyone!!! If anyone has any questions, give me a shout. Seriously, this was a quick and painless solution to moving all of my things.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.