PhillyJon

Chinese spouse

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

Hi,

I married a month ago in Nanning, Guangxi. When we registered, the woman from the Registration Office told my wife that we needed to go to an attorney with our IDs and marriage books to get some records that we would need for a visa application. I never got an exact translation of what it is that we are getting. Looking at the I-130 requirements, I'm not completely clear. I believe it includes certified translations of our marriage records. Does anyone know more about this? Is it a necessary step and how does it fit in? Thanks,

Jon

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

1. you have a red marriage book , written in chinese with a cute photo of the two of you together.

2. you have a white book, which consists of:

--certified copy of the red marriage book

--notary's statement in Chinese, that the certified copy of the red marriage book matches 100 percent

--notary's statement in English, that the certified copy of the red marriage book matches 100 percent

--notarial translation, from Chinese into English, of the red marriage book

--notary's statement that the translation from Chinese to English , of the red marriage book, is 100 percent accurate.

3. make a photocopy (only) of all of the pages of the white book, submit with the I-130. The I-130 requirements are for a 'photocopy of the marriage license'. A full photocopy of the white book on the marriage book is sufficient.

Keep the white book for later.

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

the 'thing' you have - does it match what I've described, or no ?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

i am going to Nanning to marry in Feb. . It has been a nightmare getting the Single Cert. and then my Fiancee says the civil affairs office need it translated to Chinese(they gave her a number to call)I know the single cert and the Athu.seal from the Chinese Embassy have to stay in tacked.Did you have any Issues with your Single Cert.?Where did you go to get the Marriage certs. translated to English?I'm assuming it would be at the same place that she will get the Single Cert. translated...and how long did it take you to get back the Translated marriage certs., for filing of the I-130?

Timeline

BPierce,

Hang in there brother. I read something comparing the Chinese wedding to the US. The guy wrote that China hassles you up front, but the wedding is low keyed. For me that was true. Here's what I learned about the affidavit of marriageability:

First, it's easier to get it in China than the US. To get to Nanning, I generally fly through Shanghai. So I made an appointment at the Shanghai embassy to get the paper notarized. You could do the same thing in Guangzhou or Beijing. My appointment was only 3 days before we were to register, so the fiancee was stressed that something would go wrong. I stayed overnight at a hotel near the Hongqiao Airport. It was less than 30 minutes by taxi to the embassy. It took less than 1 hour to get the paperwork signed and notarized and the embassy staff was friendly. I killed some time and took an afternoon flight to Nanning.

There is only one Marriage Office in NN that handles foreign marriages. Ask your fiancee to call them and get the name of the official translation agency.

I got up the next day, took a bus to the agency near the Five Elephants Plaza. The three young women in the office were very friendly, and relaxed. They asked if it was OK to give me the translation the next day. I think if I was desperate, they would have done it on the spot for the right price. So 48 hours after landing, I had my "single papers" and was all set. The registration was the equivalent of transferring your driver's license from one state to another. After filling out a few forms the woman handed me a little red book and said "congratulations." And a little voice in the back of my head said "holy sh!t, I'm married." Let me know if this is helpful. I can connect your fiancee with my wife if that helps.

I guess I misread your questions. I am still waiting for the translation of the marriage certificate for the I-130. At the registration office, the woman gave us the number of a lawyer or notary public to translate and vouch for the marriage certificate. It's a different process from the translation of the marriageability affidavit. It's taken about 2 weeks. Good luck.

Edited by PhillyJon

Timeline

BPierce,

Hang in there brother. I read something comparing the Chinese wedding to the US. The guy wrote that China hassles you up front, but the wedding is low keyed. For me that was true. Here's what I learned about the affidavit of marriageability:

First, it's easier to get it in China than the US. To get to Nanning, I generally fly through Shanghai. So I made an appointment at the Shanghai embassy to get the paper notarized. You could do the same thing in Guangzhou or Beijing. My appointment was only 3 days before we were to register, so the fiancee was stressed that something would go wrong. I stayed overnight at a hotel near the Hongqiao Airport. It was less than 30 minutes by taxi to the embassy. It took less than 1 hour to get the paperwork signed and notarized and the embassy staff was friendly. I killed some time and took an afternoon flight to Nanning.

There is only one Marriage Office in NN that handles foreign marriages. Ask your fiancee to call them and get the name of the official translation agency.

I got up the next day, took a bus to the agency near the Five Elephants Plaza. The three young women in the office were very friendly, and relaxed. They asked if it was OK to give me the translation the next day. I think if I was desperate, they would have done it on the spot for the right price. So 48 hours after landing, I had my "single papers" and was all set. The registration was the equivalent of transferring your driver's license from one state to another. After filling out a few forms the woman handed me a little red book and said "congratulations." And a little voice in the back of my head said "holy sh!t, I'm married." Let me know if this is helpful. I can connect your fiancee with my wife if that helps.

I guess I misread your questions. I am still waiting for the translation of the marriage certificate for the I-130. At the registration office, the woman gave us the number of a lawyer or notary public to translate and vouch for the marriage certificate. It's a different process from the translation of the marriageability affidavit. It's taken about 2 weeks. Good luck.

Timeline

Thanks for the reply,I got the single cert. notorized and then sent it to the Chinese Embassy in Houston to get their seal.I Have that now,and i e-mailed her a copy to get translated along with my passport.The civil affairs office gave her a phone number to get the translations.also she has to get her Police cert. translated to english so i can bring that back to file the I-130....So you are still waiting to get the translated marriage cert.?...how long of a wait...because we can't file I-130 until i have that!I wonder if it is the same place my Fiancee is using???????????..i will ask her,once again,txs...

Timeline

police cert not needed to file I-130.

it's needed for NVC doc intake, later.

suggest to get police cert after I-130 approval.

when at NVC, use NVC Electronic Processing, then only scans of civil docs are needed, and SHE can email you stuff, as scans are allowed at that stage when using EP.

don't waste time on getting police cert for an I-130 - as it will expire before a Vice Consul will see it for the interview.

--

usually, there are two seperate translation offices - so bear that in mind.

chinese to English translations, used for marriage, birth, police cert - that's one office.

english to chinese - used for single affadavit, that's another office, and always gleaned from the marriage registry office - only they will tell you which office they accept the translation from.

Edited by Darnell

Timeline

The lawyer doing the wedding cert. translation said two weeks. We should have it this week.

I hope they accept the copy of the single cert. for translation. You will probably have to bring the original in to the translator. When the translation was done, I had to take the original in and they stamp the original and translated version together, half the stamp on one and half on the other. The registration official checks that the two halves of the stamp line up.

Timeline

The lawyer doing the wedding cert. translation said two weeks. We should have it this week.

I hope they accept the copy of the single cert. for translation. You will probably have to bring the original in to the translator. When the translation was done, I had to take the original in and they stamp the original and translated version together, half the stamp on one and half on the other. The registration official checks that the two halves of the stamp line up.

Timeline

WOW, A Lawyer doing the Marriage Translations.this is where the civil affairs office sent you?..I have to take Original Single Cert. to Nanning as it has the Chinese embassy Authitifcation seal on the State Notorized copy ,which is stapled to the Notorized Single Cert.ahhh...how much is the cost for all the fees?

when at NVC, use NVC Electronic Processing, then only scans of civil docs are needed, and SHE can email you stuff, as scans are allowed at that stage when using EP.

don't waste time on getting police cert for an I-130 - as it will expire before a Vice Consul will see it for the interview.

--

chinese to English translations, used for marriage, birth, police cert - that's one office.

english to chinese - used for single affadavit, that's another office, and always gleaned from the marriage registry office - only they will tell you which office they accept the translation from.

--

Timeline

My Lawyer said Police Cert. good for 1 year,so i hope we have Interview before then.Thats why i said i would go ahead and get it while i'm there...thanks for the Info. on the 2 different Translation offices...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.