blueheeler18

Australian National Police Check

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Can someone who has recently completed an Australian National Police Check please shed some light on this.

I am currently looking through the website:

http://www.afp.gov.au/what-we-do/police-checks/national-police-checks.aspx

Under fees, there are 4 fee types. Which one do we apply for?

As far as the finger printing goes, where is this done and at what stage in the police check is this done, or is this completed at a local police office? The website is so blank with really no helpful information.

Vermont Service Centre

Dec 10, 2012 - I-129F Sent

Dec 12, 2012 - Received at Dallas Lockbox

Dec 17, 2012 - NOA1 Received

Timeline

If you are in Australia, you get your police check from your state police, not the AFP.

Which state are you in?

This is not what I have been told previously by another Aussie. I live in Sydney, but all my paperwork has been documented with my parents address in Adelaide.

I was told its an Australian National Police Check that needs to be completed

FURTHER INFORMATION FOUND: http://canberra.usembassy.gov/obtain_police_cert.html#nsw

Sorry Lainie but where did you get your information from?

Edited by blueheeler18

Vermont Service Centre

Dec 10, 2012 - I-129F Sent

Dec 12, 2012 - Received at Dallas Lockbox

Dec 17, 2012 - NOA1 Received

This is not what I have been told previously by another Aussie. I live in Sydney, but all my paperwork has been documented with my parents address in Adelaide.

I was told its an Australian National Police Check that needs to be completed

FURTHER INFORMATION FOUND: http://canberra.usembassy.gov/obtain_police_cert.html#nsw

Sorry Lainie but where did you get your information from?

You do need an Australian National Police Check but you get it through your state police, not the AFP. If you are residing in NSW you get it through the NSW police. Only people who are living outside of Australia, or in the ACT or WA need to get it through the AFP. It is the same thing no matter who you get it from, but since you are residing in NSW you would get yours from the NSW police. Refer to the website you quoted - it says there under "If you reside in NSW" what you need to do.

Also read this pinned thread from the Ausralia/NZ forum - and in particular see the latest postings on obtaining a police check in NSW.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/297828-nsw-police-check-which-form/

Edited by Lainie B

Timeline

Ok ill try and clear this up for you.

1. You have to go to your local police station in your state with the form from the AFP website, fill it out and print it off.

2. Go to your local police station, give them the filled out form and have your finger prints taken. A fee of $42 i think.

3. Take with you a pre-paid envelope addressed to the AFP in Canberra(address is on their website) and have the police post your finger prints and form. The reason your taking an envelope is that the police cant by law give you your own fingerprints...God knows why! But your finger prints need to be sent to the AFP in Canberra so they can run your prints into their database to see if you have a criminal record or you have stolen anything! lol

4. As far as fees go, its $99.00 to have your fingerprints processed by the AFP.( I paid this fee at my local police station and they put in my receipt in the envelope) But you also have to pay your local police station $42.00 for having your fingerprints scanned.

Its $139.00 if you live in Canberra and have your fingerprints scanned and processed by the AFP cos they are located in Canberra!

Hope this helps.

Timeline

Btw I went to one police station in Sydney(miranda)twice and the Junior constables had absolutely no idea how to do it. I was explaining to them how the fingerprinting process works with the AFP....I ended up going to Sutherland Police station and they were great!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

*** Moving from K1 to Aussie forum for more answers ****

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Hi,

I just received my National Police Cetificate AFP NPC FORM-5021 (Name and Fingerprint Check) in the mail today. I live in Perth WA

My Steps:

Completed AFP NPC FORM-5021 (Name and Fingerprint Check)

Called AFP Perth to make an appointment to be fingerprinted

Took FORM-5021 to AFP along with cash payment and was provided INK fingerprints

Put completed FORM-5021 and fingeprints page together and mailed to:

Australian Federal Police,

Criminal Records

Locked Bag 8550

CANBERRA CITY ACT 2601

Took 18 days from mailing date to receiving date.

hope this helps

USCIS
Service Center : National Benefits Center
Consulate : Sydney, Australia
Marriage : 2012-09-15
I-130 Sent : 2012-10-02
I-130 NOA1 : 2012-10-09
I-130 RFE : NONE
I-130 Approved : 2012-12-14
NVC
NVC Received : 2013-01-04
Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2013-01-19
Pay I-864 Bill : 2013-01-27
Receive I-864 Package : 2013-01-19
Return Completed I-864 : 2013-02-21
Return Completed DS-3032 : 2013-01-26
Receive IV Bill : 2013-02-07
Pay IV Bill : 2013-02-08
Case Completed at NVC : 2013-02-28
Email Confirmation of case closed 2013-03-06
NVC Left :2013-03-06
EMBASSY
Interview Date :Scheduled for April 30th 2013; Actual date 2013-04-16 (due to early interview request) - Visa Approved

Visa processed and sent 2013-04-17

Visa in hand 2013-04-19
POE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.