5 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

Quick question,

I just filed my I130 and I485 through marriage, there's a section (I don't remember on which one of the two) asking if I have a social security number. I had a fake one I purchased in order to work for a few years. The friend who helped me fill out this form (who worked in immigration law for a long time) said I had to state that social number on the application. So I did. I am guessing this is so that they can take out the money I put towards that s.s. # and put it in my new one.

But what do you guys think? Was that a good idea? Now I am in doubt whether I should have put that number in there or not. Not that it matters much because I did state that I worked and if asked I'd never lie. I am just wondering if my application will be rejected because of that number that doesn't have my name to it.

Met my wife: Spring 2010
Became Bf & Gf: July 16, 2010
Got engaged: July 16, 2011
Wedding: August 11, 2012
Sent AOS Docs: December 12, 2012
Rec'd Receipts: December 22, 2012
Rec'd Bio Appt: December 24, 2012 (1/7/12)
Biometrics Done: December 28, 2012 (went early because I wouldn't be able to go on the 7th)
Rec'd Req for Evidence: January 5, 2013 (initial request for my joint sponsor's proof of citizenship)
Sent Evidence Requested: January 10, 2013 (my join sponsor's certificate of naturalization)
Evidence Received: January 15, 2013 (status updated on USCIS website)
Testing and Interview: January 25, 2013 (status updated on USCIS website - now just waiting for the interview date)
Interview date set: January 30, 2013 (our interview was set for March 6th, 2013)
EAD Approved: February 12, 2013
EAD Card Production: February 15, 2013
EAD Card Mailed: February 19, 2013
EAD Card Rec'd: February 23, 2013
Applied for S.S.No.: February 25, 2013
Interview and Approval: March 6, 2013
Green Card Rec'd: March 14, 2013
Applied for new S.S. card: March 15, 2013
Rec'd S.S. card: March 22, 2013

Sent I-751: January 10, 2015

NOA1: January 15, 2015

Biometrics: February 20, 2015
Green Card Rec'd: June 8, 2015

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Quick question,

I just filed my I130 and I485 through marriage, there's a section (I don't remember on which one of the two) asking if I have a social security number. I had a fake one I purchased in order to work for a few years. The friend who helped me fill out this form (who worked in immigration law for a long time) said I had to state that social number on the application. So I did. I am guessing this is so that they can take out the money I put towards that s.s. # and put it in my new one.

But what do you guys think? Was that a good idea? Now I am in doubt whether I should have put that number in there or not. Not that it matters much because I did state that I worked and if asked I'd never lie. I am just wondering if my application will be rejected because of that number that doesn't have my name to it.

The person advising you screwed up BIG TIME. YOU COMMITTED FRAUD. You have now admitted that you committed fraud in the US.

Your guess is wrong. You are not going to get to take the money back. You got the money through ILLEGAL WORK. You stole the identity of another person.

This may not be enough to get your petition denied, but it will not help you.

What did you mark on your I-9 when you started to work? A SSN does not provide work authorization. Did you buy a fake ID also? Did you use this fake ID to claim that you are a US citizen entitled to work? Green card holders have to show their green cards. Visa holders have to show their work authorizations. US citizens are the only ones who don't have to show work authorization.

Edited by aaron2020

Filed: Timeline

If that number belongs to anybody, then you are in big trouble!

pretty much this.

if you or your employer didn't apply for it yourself and with you saying you "bought" it, it's basically fraud. chances are, that ss# belongs to someone else and USCIS will find that out when they verify that # with the SSA. best case scenario, you'll most likely get an RFE asking you to explain it. better consult a lawyer if that eventually happens.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

Well, my parents just got their green cards a couple a of years ago, and they stated they had fake socials, and those numbers did probably belong to someone. They even provided the numbers, and nothing happened. Matter of fact, they transferred the S.S. taxes from all those years they worked with that fake number, to their new legitimate number, even though they worked illegally. Now when they retire, they will receive all of those benefits.

I spoke with a couple of attorneys who said that they won't care if I worked with a fake social, because even though its fraud, half of the immigrants in California do it. So since its nothing rare, they will not care. Matter of fact, the attorney also told me that they will transfer the benefits of s.s. from when I worked with a fake one, to my new one once I get it.

I know its fraud, and a ton of people do it and were still able to get their residency straighten out. I guess my question was, if putting that number on my application will create confusion?

P.S.: I did not buy a fake I.D. Most employers only require the s.s. #, not ID's.

Met my wife: Spring 2010
Became Bf & Gf: July 16, 2010
Got engaged: July 16, 2011
Wedding: August 11, 2012
Sent AOS Docs: December 12, 2012
Rec'd Receipts: December 22, 2012
Rec'd Bio Appt: December 24, 2012 (1/7/12)
Biometrics Done: December 28, 2012 (went early because I wouldn't be able to go on the 7th)
Rec'd Req for Evidence: January 5, 2013 (initial request for my joint sponsor's proof of citizenship)
Sent Evidence Requested: January 10, 2013 (my join sponsor's certificate of naturalization)
Evidence Received: January 15, 2013 (status updated on USCIS website)
Testing and Interview: January 25, 2013 (status updated on USCIS website - now just waiting for the interview date)
Interview date set: January 30, 2013 (our interview was set for March 6th, 2013)
EAD Approved: February 12, 2013
EAD Card Production: February 15, 2013
EAD Card Mailed: February 19, 2013
EAD Card Rec'd: February 23, 2013
Applied for S.S.No.: February 25, 2013
Interview and Approval: March 6, 2013
Green Card Rec'd: March 14, 2013
Applied for new S.S. card: March 15, 2013
Rec'd S.S. card: March 22, 2013

Sent I-751: January 10, 2015

NOA1: January 15, 2015

Biometrics: February 20, 2015
Green Card Rec'd: June 8, 2015

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.