Adie

I-864 unemployed, but have job offer

11 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

I have been living in Brazil with my husband for the last year. I previously worked in the US in the YEARS 2009-2011 and made enough money to qualify to be my husband's sponsor during those years. I left my job to move to Brazil and get married. I have no income for the year 2012. I just accepted a job offer in the same position I was in previously and I will also have the same income. I start the job Jan. 2013 and will be moving to the US then too. We just received NOA2 yesterday (12/4) and I was wondering how this will affect my affidavit of support. Will I still need a joint sponsor or can I be the only sponsor? My mom is willing to be the joint sponsor, but I don't want her to have to do everything if it's not necessary.

Thanks in advance!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Right now, they only want tax returns for 2009 2010 and 2011.

And your current income, which is substantial enough correct?

If you can begin working regularly and get current income (paystubs, letter from employer) all before tax deadline in April, then I think you cut a break on this one.

I have wondered, however, if your interview is after april, if they will require you to bring 2012 to the interview. Just some food for thought.

Edit: I'm just saying, that's not to say that you couldn't get someone requesting to see your 2012 W2 in February or March. I don't think it WILL happen, but who knows, could come up since by law you are required to receive them by end of January.

oldlady.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

I don't have any income for 2012. I'm guessing it's safer to just file w/ a joint sponsor then, because it asks you to state your annual income on the I-864. And currently mine in $0. I won't get my first paycheck until Feb 2013.

Timeline

I don't have any income for 2012. I'm guessing it's safer to just file w/ a joint sponsor then, because it asks you to state your annual income on the I-864. And currently mine in $0. I won't get my first paycheck until Feb 2013.

No, the I-864 asks you to fill in the most recent, 2nd most recent, and 3rd.

The most recent at your time of filing the I-864 will be 2011, NOT 2012.

It is not 2012 until after the tax deadline on 4/15.

It would not hurt to have a backup joint sponsor.

oldlady.gif

No, the I-864 asks you to fill in the most recent, 2nd most recent, and 3rd.

The most recent at your time of filing the I-864 will be 2011, NOT 2012.

It is not 2012 until after the tax deadline on 4/15.

It would not hurt to have a backup joint sponsor. :thumbs:

On page 3 part 6 of the I-864 it does ask for the sponsor's current employer and #23 asks for the current individual annual income.

Edited by reese1

Our Journey
6/13/2012 Sent I-129F package
6/14/2012 NOA1 --> California Service Center
9/25/2012 NOA2
10/01/2012 NOA2 Hardcopy received
10/01/2012 NVC Received
10/19/2012 Left NVC
11/30/2012 Picked-up Packet from Local Post Office
01/16/2013 Medical
01/23/2013 Interview - In AP

09/24/2013 Visa picked-up from DOMEX
10/10/2013 POE Ft. Lauderdale

10/28/2013 Applied for Social Security Number

01/01/2014 WEDDING IN LAS VEGAS

heart_28.gif

Timeline

On page 3 part 6 of the I-864 it does ask for the sponsor's current employer and #23 asks for the current individual annual income.

And in my first response I stated they would need to provide paystubs and a letter from employer.

That does not divulge information on your total income earned in 2012.

oldlady.gif

I don't have any income for 2012. I'm guessing it's safer to just file w/ a joint sponsor then, because it asks you to state your annual income on the I-864. And currently mine in $0. I won't get my first paycheck until Feb 2013. :yes:

If you have already received your NOA2 there is a good chance that you will be at the stage where you will need to start submitting all of this information before you start your new job. Best of luck to you!

Edited by reese1

Our Journey
6/13/2012 Sent I-129F package
6/14/2012 NOA1 --> California Service Center
9/25/2012 NOA2
10/01/2012 NOA2 Hardcopy received
10/01/2012 NVC Received
10/19/2012 Left NVC
11/30/2012 Picked-up Packet from Local Post Office
01/16/2013 Medical
01/23/2013 Interview - In AP

09/24/2013 Visa picked-up from DOMEX
10/10/2013 POE Ft. Lauderdale

10/28/2013 Applied for Social Security Number

01/01/2014 WEDDING IN LAS VEGAS

heart_28.gif

Timeline

Thanks for your help. I think I am just going to go ahead with the joint sponsor because I don't want to delay everything 2 or 3 months until I have a job. I also don't want to get caught in a lie.

:thumbs: to you

However, there would be no lies there, just FYI.

I don't want you to make people think I'm telling you to lie as that is NOT the case here.

I would never tell you to lie as you shouldn't.

oldlady.gif

Timeline

I didn't say you were telling me to lie... BUT If I was purposely and knowingly trying to hide information from the US GOVT is that considered lying? I think they would see it that way!

I don't see how you would be purposely hiding anything by providing them exactly what they are asking for.

But if that's your understanding, then fine.

I mean I even specifically told you that someone could request to see your 2012 W2 at any point if they really wanted.

Edited by KDubovik

oldlady.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.