The Mean Lady

ITINs Prior to SSN

3 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My husband was on my taxes last year with an ITIN, regarding the thread where someone said they couldn't get a loan w/o her husband filing taxes, does this technically count towards filing taxes?

Also, will his ITIN info transfer over to his social security number?

Directly relating to what I said first, because if it doesn't, then obviously the ITIN file doesn't count.

And if it does, then is there someone in this process that I need to inform?

And when he gets a SSN, do I have to tell someone he no longer uses his ITIN?

oldlady.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Belarus
Timeline

Here is what you do to transfer your ITIN information over to SSN:

What do I do when I am assigned a social security number (SSN)?

Once you receive a SSN, you must use that number for tax purposes and discontinue using your ITIN. It is improper to use both the ITIN and the SSN assigned to the same person to file tax returns. It is your responsibility to notify the IRS so we can combine all of your tax records under one identification number. If you do not notify the IRS when you are assigned a SSN, you may not receive credit for all wages paid and taxes withheld which could reduce the amount of any refund due. You can visit a local IRS office or write a letter explaining that you have now been assigned a SSN and want your tax records combined. Include your complete name, mailing address, and ITIN along with a copy of your social security card and a copy of the CP 565, Notice of ITIN Assignment, if available. The IRS will void the ITIN and associate all prior tax information filed under the ITIN with the SSN. Send your letter to:

Internal Revenue Service

Austin, TX 73301-0057

http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Additional-ITIN-Information

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Here is what you do to transfer your ITIN information over to SSN:

What do I do when I am assigned a social security number (SSN)?

Once you receive a SSN, you must use that number for tax purposes and discontinue using your ITIN. It is improper to use both the ITIN and the SSN assigned to the same person to file tax returns. It is your responsibility to notify the IRS so we can combine all of your tax records under one identification number. If you do not notify the IRS when you are assigned a SSN, you may not receive credit for all wages paid and taxes withheld which could reduce the amount of any refund due. You can visit a local IRS office or write a letter explaining that you have now been assigned a SSN and want your tax records combined. Include your complete name, mailing address, and ITIN along with a copy of your social security card and a copy of the CP 565, Notice of ITIN Assignment, if available. The IRS will void the ITIN and associate all prior tax information filed under the ITIN with the SSN. Send your letter to:

Internal Revenue Service

Austin, TX 73301-0057

http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Additional-ITIN-Information

Oh look at you! You are awesome ty!

oldlady.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.