3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I am about to send out my wife's AOS packet. We are not sure where or when, but I may be leaving my current job and moving to a different location within the next three to five months.

My first question is will it matter that I have a different job/income after I have sent out her packet?

My second question is how do I report that we have changed our living/mailing address after the packet has been sent?

Thanks.

I am about to send out my wife's AOS packet. We are not sure where or when, but I may be leaving my current job and moving to a different location within the next three to five months.

My first question is will it matter that I have a different job/income after I have sent out her packet?

My second question is how do I report that we have changed our living/mailing address after the packet has been sent?

Thanks.

As long as the new address is reported within 10 days of actually moving to your new address using the on-line AR-11 and you mention you have a case pending, you have done all that USCIS requires. WIll all go smoothly? Who knows. I would make certain you have access to the old address' mail some how. You can place a vacation hold of up to 30 days and go pick-up the mail if the two locations are not too far apart. The USPS will not forward anything from the USCIS which makes moving such a royal PITA should USCIS not update the records to the new address.

As long as the job meets the income requirements of the I-864 you will be fine. One cannot put their lives on hold just to satisfy the USCIS, but one does need to keep an eye on the process and make decisions based on all available information. That being said, you could wait until after you move to file the AOS, but then your wife is without employment and filing the AP would be a waste of paper. You could file now and hope to get the NOA1 and biometrics done before the move and then either no interview or you have to keep an eye out for the interview letter. If you sign up foir e-mail notifications then you will know when the USPS returns any notices to the USCIS. You can then call them and have your wife tell them the correct address to mail the notice to. If you are moving to a far away place it may also impact which service center your file goes to and which local office the interview will be at. I would file now and deal with all the other things as they come up. Better to get the AOS sooner rather than later--the sooner USCIS is out of your lives.

Good luck,

Dave

Edited by Dave&Roza

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks for the help.

In regards to a move, there may be another possibility.. Let me know if this could work or not:

Would I be able to use my parents address in the AOS application (as well as the other applications that go with it), so that all mail could be sent to their address and not my current one? My wife did live there for a year while I was deployed to Afghanistan, and it is the address that we actually used when she applied for her K-3. Since I am in the military and was deployed only six months after she arrived, we haven't had much of a "stable" address, and technically my parents address IS my home address since nothing is permanent in the military.

My main concern is would this be seen as a discrepancy, as our current address would be listed as most recent place lived, but our "home" address would be listed on the application?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.