destiny64

Interview language

8 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

If the interviewee doesn't understand a question the consular asks, can he/she request it be explained in french or arabic? I just wondered, because my husband is pretty good at english but sometimes gets a word here and there that he doesn't quite understand and needs further explanation, will they switch from english to french to explain it better?

Will they see that as a weakness? I'm sure it wouldn't happen for the majority, but if the consular slides in a word that isn't part of his vocabulary I would hope they would allow an explanation so he could have a good understanding before answering the question.

Any experiences with this?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread moved from Waivers forum to Embassy/Consulate forum -- not a waiver question, but one about consular procedures. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

My husband had his interview in Arabic. I know of another person that did his in Spanish at Casa because that is how he communicated with his wife. They do accommodate just tell him to ask..

Timeline

My husband had his interview in Arabic. I know of another person that did his in Spanish at Casa because that is how he communicated with his wife. They do accommodate just tell him to ask..

One thing you do want to be aware of. If you communicate with your spouse in english, then they will expect you to be able to understand. One thing that i have seen done, is the questions were asked in arabic, and the interviewee answered back in english to make sure they understood the question.

Timeline

Thanks for the suggestion of answering in english but verifying the question in french or arabic. Like I said , we do communicate very well with each other , but I naturally

don't speak as fast and enunciate clearly to him . My husband just has trouble when someone speaks very fast :)

Timeline

Thanks for the suggestion of answering in english but verifying the question in french or arabic. Like I said , we do communicate very well with each other , but I naturally

don't speak as fast and enunciate clearly to him . My husband just has trouble when someone speaks very fast :)

My wife is the same way. She has to tell me to slow down alot.

Timeline

My wife is the same way. She has to tell me to slow down alot.

I'm very happy for you both , though I don't know you! We all here know what the other is going through and I hope to be feeling the same as you when our turn comes around. Did you and your wife try for a fiance visa first? How long did you know each other before getting married? I know our mistakes from the fiance visa in Dec 2010, probably should never had attempted it but I desperately wanted to get married here with my family. I hope the fact that its two years later they will see us for who we are, just two married people wanting to be together!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.