paitence

DS-230 query.

3 posts in this topic

I'm going through the London DCF. I have sent out my I-130 and am now waiting for approval. In the meantime I'm starting my next steps (or as much as I can) so I can just be prepared. What I need to know, is on this DS230 form it asks to list the trips my husband has made to the USA... But he has made at least 20 visiting trips. Do we put all of those trips? And when it says to only send in Part 1 of this form, what happens with part 2? When we go to send the ds230 in, do we need supporting documents sent with the forms, or does he only need to take those when he goes to interview? I have one more question, that pertains to the affidavit of support, in which I am having the help of my aunt and uncle as two joint sponsors. I have not been employed for over 5 years, to where I have filed for tax, what and how do I explain to them for why I do not have the forms they are asking?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

I'm going through the London DCF. I have sent out my I-130 and am now waiting for approval. In the meantime I'm starting my next steps (or as much as I can) so I can just be prepared. What I need to know, is on this DS230 form it asks to list the trips my husband has made to the USA... But he has made at least 20 visiting trips. Do we put all of those trips? And when it says to only send in Part 1 of this form, what happens with part 2? When we go to send the ds230 in, do we need supporting documents sent with the forms, or does he only need to take those when he goes to interview? I have one more question, that pertains to the affidavit of support, in which I am having the help of my aunt and uncle as two joint sponsors. I have not been employed for over 5 years, to where I have filed for tax, what and how do I explain to them for why I do not have the forms they are asking?

-we included all my husband's trips to the US, which required an extra sheet of paper. It doesn't hurt to be thorough and honest.

-I wasn't aware you're not supposed to send in part two. I am pretty sure you are only not supposed to SIGN part two. I'm pretty sure your husband does that at the interview.

-We always sent in all required and suggested supporting documentation. It never hurts to be on the safe side, right? We'll take copies with us to our interview in Frankfurt (we'll be taking complete copies of all the packages we sent off) and we'll get the originals back then.

-We just sent our affidavit of support off just over a week ago. I as well have not been employed and have not filed taxes. I simply typed and signed a letter stating why I didn't/wasn't required to file and attached it to my I-864.

Hope it helps.

If possible, you should check with a lawyer to be really sure you're getting the correct answers, but anyway here's my two cents on the questions you've asked.

I had the same issue regarding numerous previous trips to the USA (my husband going with me to visit my family there). My lawyer said that the thing to do is to write a formal statement saying something like: "Over the last (x) years, I (meaning the spouse) have visited the USA many times, probably about 20 times, in order to visit family. These visits were relatively short, none more than about six weeks. I do not remember all of the exact dates." Then sign the statement. That's what I did and you can probably do something like that.

Now about part two of the DS 230 -- DO NOT SIGN IT because your spouse will have to sign it in front of an official when he goes for his interview at the consulate.

I'm doing DCF here in Italy and they do not ask for supporting documents along with the DS 230 part one. Well actually, there is an "Applicant's Statement" to fax in too, but nothing else. All the rest of your supporting documentation is to be brought along with your husband personally when he goes for his interview. The Applicant's Statement, by the way, says something along the lines of "I declare that I will not give up my job, dispose of property etc. until I am actually issued a visa."

About the fact that you haven't worked -- I also have been unemployed (i.e. stay-at-home mom) since 2010, and I had to make a formal statement saying so, with my signature, similar to the first formal statement regarding numerous trips to the USA. Again, I really think you should double check with an immigration lawyer about all this to be sure.

Good luck!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.