bxman

Hotel in Manila

19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

As June filers we are beginnin

g to plan for a stay in Manila.

Right now we are looking at the Lotus Garden Hotel.

Has anyone here stayed there? Comments? Advice?

Can anyone with experience suggest how long we should book a room? (one week, 10 days? etc)

Should we book a week then just add as needed?

Can you SAFELY walk to embassy and St Lukes from the Lotus Garden? (if not what options do we have and what to expect in cost)

Any other advice for a stay in Manila for the K-1 experience is GREATLY appreciated

My fiancee will be traveling alone for the first time so any and ALL advice is welcomed (wish I could travel there with her!)

Can anyone advise about traffic in and around the area, good places to eat things to be weary of

Thanks so much

I am sure other June filers will appreciate also

Our time draws near! :dance:

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from K1 Process & Procedures to Philippines regional forum; topic is country specific.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

The Lotus is close to the embassy and is a safe walk. St. Lukes is taxi ride from there. It will cost you about 300 peso. My wife lives just two blocks from there and I have stayed around there many times. They have a nice restaurant downstairs and security. Im not sure about the quality of the hotel or time to book.

17-Dec-11 Met my wife for first time

24-Jul-12 - Married in Philippines, Honeymoon in Hong Kong

20-Sep-12 - Return to Philippines for visit/Medical/finish up i-130

2-Oct-12 - I-130 Sent (Fedex)

3-Oct-12 - Received at Phoenix Lockbox

09-Oct-12- NOA1 email/SMS : I-130 transferred to NBC

12-Dec-12 - File appeared in Case status

25-Dec-12 - Returned to Philippines for Christmas and New Years

4-Jan-13- Learned my file was transferred to local office on Nov 27

17-Jan-13- I-130 Approved

Timeline

The Lotus is close to the embassy and is a safe walk. St. Lukes is taxi ride from there. It will cost you about 300 peso. My wife lives just two blocks from there and I have stayed around there many times. They have a nice restaurant downstairs and security. Im not sure about the quality of the hotel or time to book.

Thank you so much for that information

Any idea how much taxi is from the airport?

She will fly from Cebu so not sure what airport it is?

I think smaller regional?

We stayed at Lotus Garden for a night. It got really loud about 3 am in the morning when we stayed there. We walked to the embassy from there and it was safe. I would recommend Pearl Garden (same chain). Pearl Garden is right across the street from Pan Pacific and about 2 blocks from Robinson Center and a short walk to St. Lukes (you walk through Robinson Center and a couple of blocks out the other side). The free breakfast was pretty good at Pearl Garden too.

as far as the taxi fare, when we went in 2010, it was only 50-70 (metered) pesos taxi ride from pearl garden to St. Lukes medical extension.. The one taxi driver tried to charge us double(he didnt turn on the meter), but I gave him the fare from the day prior and got out. The distance isn't that far. We got a taxi ride from Pearl Garden to the Mall of Asia for like 70 pesos back then. The rates shouldnt be nearly triple by now. Just make sure that if you take a taxi that they turn on the meter. The guy that tried to charge us double didnt turn on the meter. I have no issues with tipping someone that will turn on the meter and be honest with the fare. I will not pay extra to those that try to take advantage of me;

For our Full timeline

event.png

Removal of conditions Journey

16 March 2012 Sent I-751 package from Aviano AB, Italy.

29 March 2012 Received everything back...wrong fee. thought we didn't have to pay biometrics since we were sending fingerprint cards and passport photos.

30 March 2012 Sent everything out again from Aviano AB, Italy.

10 April 2012 Check cashed

17 April 2012 Received NOA1 dated 6 April.

06 Dec 2012 Received 10 yr green card. Letter said it was approved 28 November 2012.

She will probably fly into terminal 3 I am guessing. It is only like 10 km from Lotus Garden hotel (by google maps). So, the fare shouldnt be too bad. Just make sure that she knows to tell them to turn the meter on and is not too soft spoken about it.

Edited by Scott and Mhay

For our Full timeline

event.png

29 March 2012 Received everything back...wrong fee. thought we didn't have to pay biometrics since we were sending fingerprint cards and passport photos.

06 Dec 2012 Received 10 yr green card. Letter said it was approved 28 November 2012.

Timeline

She will probably fly into terminal 3 I am guessing. It is only like 10 km from Lotus Garden hotel (by google maps). So, the fare shouldnt be too bad. Just make sure that she knows to tell them to turn the meter on and is not too soft spoken about it.

Thanks so much for all your advice

What kinds of noise at Locus? City life? Fight?

If you go to baggage claim at arrival and take yellow cab they will charge 800 peso, go up stairs to the departures and take the white cab. Make sure they have meter on and ask them the fare to your hotel in Malate (thats the part of the city its in). Meters on the cabs start at 40 peso. You should expect Airport to hotel about 270 peso on the meter and give 300 or so total incl tip.

BTW Cebu is a very nice visit and big city also. Lots of Americans. I recommend the Radisson Blu if you visit there. Cebupacific airlines has very cheap fares all around the region..

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

BTW Cebu is a very nice visit and big city also. Lots of Americans. I recommend the Radisson Blu if you visit there. Cebupacific airlines has very cheap fares all around the region..

A year ago, a yellow metered cab from the airport to Lotus Garden was under 300 pesos with tip, the cheapest I had ever had. On the ride back to the airport, we used the same taxi and it was about the same. Lotus Garden is also a safe, easy walk to both the embassy and St Lukes.

You can google map it and see it is not far.

Edited by jimmynug

Thanks so much for all your advice

What kinds of noise at Locus? City life? Fight?

To me it sounded like bargirls that were drunk...it was definitely a couple of girls because I could hear their high heels. They were being pretty loud out in the hallway. I was with my wife at the time, so I didnt open the door to confront them. We stayed at Pearl Garden a couple of times and never had that issue there. It was pretty quiet and the hotel staff was really helpful when you needed anything.

For our Full timeline

event.png

Timeline

Yes I have visited Cebu twice now once in Sept 2011 and again in June 2012

I REALLY enjoyed the Monte Bello

Very nice landscaping nice pool and good food

Also Gaisano mall is walking distance

We watched Fantastic Four at the theater cost about 2 bucks! lol (Can't get Pop Corn for that here!)

Timeline

To me it sounded like bargirls that were drunk...it was definitely a couple of girls because I could hear their high heels. They were being pretty loud out in the hallway. I was with my wife at the time, so I didnt open the door to confront them. We stayed at Pearl Garden a couple of times and never had that issue there. It was pretty quiet and the hotel staff was really helpful when you needed anything.

I've never visited Manila

Always flew into and out of Cebu

Ferried over to Bohol last time.

I think I could live there

Rented a motorbike and toured Bohol & Panglao

Had a blast!

Lotus garden is in a good area , not far from Robinsons mall so you can eat, relax and in walking distance its a fairly safe area

07-24-2009 Received NOA1
08-05-2009 Touched
10-02-2009 I-797C for Biometrics Appt
10-26-2009 Biometrics Appt. Completed
05-11-2010 Request for Evidence on both the I129F and I130
07-01-2010 Case Transferred to Vermont Service Center
10-20-2011 Contacted Ombudsman
02-07-2012 Case denied after almost 3 years =(
03-07-2012 Appeal Filed!
01-20-2013 Contacted Ombudsman again...

06-25-2013 EOIR Appeal Review

Visit my blog at http://goo.gl/ON4wG/

atckcgod5n.png

As June filers we are beginnin

g to plan for a stay in Manila.

Right now we are looking at the Lotus Garden Hotel.

Has anyone here stayed there? Comments? Advice?

Can anyone with experience suggest how long we should book a room? (one week, 10 days? etc)

Should we book a week then just add as needed?

Can you SAFELY walk to embassy and St Lukes from the Lotus Garden? (if not what options do we have and what to expect in cost)

Any other advice for a stay in Manila for the K-1 experience is GREATLY appreciated

My fiancee will be traveling alone for the first time so any and ALL advice is welcomed (wish I could travel there with her!)

Can anyone advise about traffic in and around the area, good places to eat things to be weary of

Thanks so much

I am sure other June filers will appreciate also

Our time draws near! :dance:

I will be staying in Lotus Garden tmrw night, i booked from Agoda and i have no problem in booking. My interview will be on Wedenesday 6:15am :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.