g65nov

Bringing my Mom

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hi All, It has been a wonderful journey, I became a US citizen in 2010. Last year I petitioned my mom to come here as a resident. She was approved, then approved at the NVC and now she has an appointment at the Bogota Embassy. She has her physical, lab work and then 5 days later the interview. Is this a sure thing or is there a possiblity of denied at the embassy? Also, how long does it usually take, if approved, to,be able to come to the US. Any ideas of the questions or suggested answers? thanks! Cant wait to have my mom here!

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

It's not a sure thing; that's why there is an interview. If it was a sure thing, then why bother with an interview?

Generally, an immigration visa is valid for up to six months or when the medical expires whichever happens first. The expiration date will be on the visa .

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

It's not a sure thing; that's why there is an interview. If it was a sure thing, then why bother with an interview?

Generally, an immigration visa is valid for up to six months or when the medical expires whichever happens first. The expiration date will be on the visa .

OK, but what could be a reason to be denied if she has been approved by uscis and nvc? The letter says that she only needs to bring my birtth cert. Can they refuse her for whatever reason they feel like, like they do for visitor visas?

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

OK, but what could be a reason to be denied if she has been approved by uscis and nvc? The letter says that she only needs to bring my birtth cert. Can they refuse her for whatever reason they feel like, like they do for visitor visas?

You are not understanding the process.

USCIS and the NVC do not approve or issue immigration visas.

USCIS approves the I-130 which show that the petioner and beneficiary have a family relationship which allows the beneficiary to apply for a visa. USCIS does not make any decision on whether the beneficiary qualifies for a visa. USCIS only check for a qualifying family relationship.

The NVC does not approve anything. It is simply a clearing house to collect information to send to the US embassies and consulates. Easier for the petioners who are in the US to send to one office in the US rather than have petitioners locate and send documents to the correct embassy in a foreign country (especially if there are multiple consulates in a country).

The US Embassy or Consulate is where the determination is made if a person qualifies for a visa or not.

The US has guidelines for issuing visas. The interviewer had discretion based on the beneficiary's behavior which cannot be assessed on paper. So, in practice, your mom could be denied if she is perceived to be untruthful or the US Embassy determines she failed the background check which the US Embassy conducts.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.