umjorge2

Can I sponsor my spouse if we're both living in Canada?

2 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello,

I am a Canadian/American duel citizen, and have an Canadian husband, and we both live in Winnipeg, Manitoba. I would like to apply to sponsor him as my spouse, so we can one day move to the USA permanently. Can I apply to sponsor him while I still live in Canada? How can I show that I will support him financially when we move to the USA, if I obviously do not have a job in USA to prove that? And is it a possibility that if he gets his PR, then when we move to the USA, he will also be able to work any job immediately?

I have no current US home address. Will this be an issue? We wouldn't really look to get one unless the possibility was there that we could live down there providing he could get a green card to work down there.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello,

I am a Canadian/American duel citizen, and have an Canadian husband, and we both live in Winnipeg, Manitoba. I would like to apply to sponsor him as my spouse, so we can one day move to the USA permanently. Can I apply to sponsor him while I still live in Canada? How can I show that I will support him financially when we move to the USA, if I obviously do not have a job in USA to prove that? And is it a possibility that if he gets his PR, then when we move to the USA, he will also be able to work any job immediately?

I have no current US home address. Will this be an issue? We wouldn't really look to get one unless the possibility was there that we could live down there providing he could get a green card to work down there.

You can still petition for them to move with you to America. The only issue would be that your income would need to meet minimum income requirements in the US in order to get past the NVC stage. You cannot use your Canadian income to prove that you meet the requirements.

This being said, you can move once your petition for your Canadian spouse is approved (usually takes about 5-6 months) and once you have a job set up with proof of income from that job (for instance, an employment verification letter [not a job offer letter] or some pay stubs) you can complete the process through NVC and the Montreal consulate.

So yes, you can sponsor your Canadian husband. But you must meet minimum income eligibility and you must have US domicile (either in the US already or will be moving). Or if you own enough stuff or money you can meet the minimum eligibility criteria as long as you have 3 times the minimum annual income in assets.

To learn more about the process of sponsoring your spouse, use the guides at the top of the forum. They are SO useful when you are doing it all on your own. I'm almost done the petition stage and my wife is currently in the US waiting for me to come after my visa is approved.

Have a good one and good luck!

Edited by bsd058

IR-1 Visa Timeline (Service Center: Vermont)

image.png.806852c45242bc72b5f44a862566bdaf.png

N-400 Timeline (Field Office: Orlando, FL) & Voter Registration (Online)

image.png.c85e21010f669e0303f6fafb51f19f82.png

Passport Timeline (Submitted at USPS, Standard Processing, Standard Delivery, Locator number: 51) & SSA Update & Naturalization Certificate Receipt

03/23/2022: Application for passport submitted at USPS facility under standard processing.

04/04/2022: Status changed to “The U.S. Department of State has received your application for your passport book on 04/04/2022. We're now reviewing your application and supporting documents...Your application locator number is 51*******.

04/04/2022: Check for passport cashed.

05/03/2022: Status changed to "The U.S. Department of State approved your application for your passport book. We're now printing your passport book and preparing to give it to you. You should receive your passport book on or around 05/09/2022."

05/05/2022: Passport Received.

05/09/2022: SSA Citizenship Status Updated.

05/25/2022: Naturalization Certificate received in mail.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.