Laura88

Will this be an issue at the border?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

My husband is Canadian and I am a US citizen. We got married in January and we were going to start the paperwork for him to move here but, almost immediately after getting married, he was offered his dream job. We decided to put the paperwork off for a couple of years. I can't move there because I have kids here, their dad lives close and I don't want to move them away from him.

My husband has always come to visit me because I have kids and it's harder for me to get away. I'm going to visit him soon. Is it going to be a big deal at the border that we are married but don't live together? I'm so scared they'll deny me entry and I've never even seen my husband's house! What documentation should I take?

:(

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I forgot to mention I will be flying and only staying for 10 days. I'm mainly worried that since we aren't filing any paperwork they will be suspicious.

I have been married to my husband (also a canadian citizen) for 2 years and we haven't filed paperwork yet.

They've never given me a hassle at the border, they only ask me what my future intentions are.

For a while, I had to tell them 'i'm not sure, my husband was supposed to come live with me in the US but then he changed his mind so we're still working out which way we will go'

As long as you have ties to the US, you should never have an issue.

Heck, your kids are a pretty big tie to the US!

The canadian border is very accomodating and will also call people if they are unsure.

Make sure to tell people in the US when you'll be returning so if they want to call someone to confirm, they can.

Also, if you're flying, I presume you'll have a return flight ticket? That's MAJOR proof you're returning to the US as well.

Worry not, I'm sure you will have no trouble at all.

oldlady.gif

Timeline

#1 question asked in the Cdn forum--scroll down or do a search and you will find 1000's of threads on it!!

Many of us traveled before and during the process and never had a problem! Some do get questioned more, some get into secondary for further questioning and yes a very few do get denied entry!! One should always bring evidence with you that shows your going to return to Canada (letter from employer, return airfare ticket, etc etc) And even with that, it all comes down to the POE officer!! You as a Cdn--even being married to an American--gives you NO right to entry into the USA!! Don't lie, don't argue, be polite at all times. If the POE officer is going to deny you entry, remain calm and ask to speak to a supervisor!! Your never going to win an arguement and being rude isn't going to work in ur favor!! Don't be upset with the POE officer--Be upset with all the morons and people doing it illegal that make a POE officers job hard to do!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Timeline

I have been married to my husband (also a canadian citizen) for 2 years and we haven't filed paperwork yet.

They've never given me a hassle at the border, they only ask me what my future intentions are.

For a while, I had to tell them 'i'm not sure, my husband was supposed to come live with me in the US but then he changed his mind so we're still working out which way we will go'

As long as you have ties to the US, you should never have an issue.

Heck, your kids are a pretty big tie to the US!

The canadian border is very accomodating and will also call people if they are unsure.

Make sure to tell people in the US when you'll be returning so if they want to call someone to confirm, they can.

Also, if you're flying, I presume you'll have a return flight ticket? That's MAJOR proof you're returning to the US as well.

Worry not, I'm sure you will have no trouble at all.

This is very close to exactly what we are doing. I know a lot of people ask about crossing the border but all the ones I could find were people who were dating/engages/already filled out paperwork. We got married and now everything is kind of in limbo. I haven't seen my husband since July and I'm going for my Thanksgiving break and I think I would not be ok if they denied me. You are right though, my kids are big ties and it is a round trip ticket. Thank you!

Timeline

This is very close to exactly what we are doing. I know a lot of people ask about crossing the border but all the ones I could find were people who were dating/engages/already filled out paperwork. We got married and now everything is kind of in limbo. I haven't seen my husband since July and I'm going for my Thanksgiving break and I think I would not be ok if they denied me. You are right though, my kids are big ties and it is a round trip ticket. Thank you!

Then I'm pretty certain you will have no issues.

The people at the Canadian border are REALLY nice.

Be honest about how your husband got a new dream job and you're putting off paperwork for a few years and also bring a lease/mortgage if you have any. Those are also very key ties that make the border patrol sleep better at night.

oldlady.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.