madtownguy

engagement ring

25 posts in this topic

What do you mean normal? If you proposed then we have to wear the engagement ring, to let the people know "I'm engaged".

Some don't wear engagement rings because we have snatchers, robbers, muggers, thieves. There are lot of muggers esp in Manila :)

Sep10,2010 - met via messenger at work (same company)
Mar21,2011 - officially bf/gf wink.png
Oct2-15,2011 - first time together (Philippines)
Feb2012 - gathered K1 requirements
March23 - I-129f sent to Dallas lockbox
Mar26 - noa1 routed to VSC (email/text)
March29 - touched
Sep18 - Finally.. NOA2!!!
Oct11 & 12 - SLEC medical exam - PASSED!
Oct24 - USEM Manila interview - PASSED! Thanks God..
Nov13 - POE DFW, TX
Nov20 - Dallas,TX wedding
-----

Feb12 - AOS sent

Mar13 - Biometrics

Apr6 - got my EAD/AP

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

What do you mean normal? If you proposed then we have to wear the engagement ring, to let the people know "I'm engaged".

Some don't wear engagement rings because we have snatchers, robbers, muggers, thieves. There are lot of muggers esp in Manila :)

Wow! It sounds that the Philippines esp Manila is really that bad ? I had been to Manila several times wearing all my 21 karats Gold necklace, earings, rings, bracelets, but I never had encountered any bad experienced so far. Of course, I always try to be extra careful wherever I am, not just in Manila, even when I visited first world countries.

Wearing of engagement rings are normal for engaged couples in the Philippines. Though it is not compulsory. It is a practice of some couples especially who could afford to have a symbolic or meaningful one.

"Last night I looked up at the stars and matched each one with a reason why I love you. I was doing great until I ran out of stars."-- by Kelsi

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Even my wife makes comment about being watchful wearing jewelry ... depends on where you are in Manila. She did not always wear her engagement ring, or even other jewelry.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

It's not unusual, but my wife commented that an extended engagement period is unusual. In the US, one year engagement is pretty common. In other words, those wearing an "engagement" ring are assumed to be married already (I guess that's kind of the same here in the US, but for different reason).

It's an "Engagement Ring" wear it if you have one, that's what it is for. It is more not normal if you are engaged and have the ring and but not wearing it lol. Just dont wear 2 necklaces, 8 rings and 4 bracelets at the same time, then your good.

Edited by John&Juvy
SzIKm4.png
4202e493-922b-4a14-a1b7-438a49a69f71_zps0b740bfd-4829-475c-92b2-ceedfc991843_zps

Chains do not hold a marriage together. It is threads, hundreds of tiny threads which sew people together through the years.

Timeline

I never wore rings when I was in Philippines. When we came back to visit, I took off my wedding ring and left it over here in US. I've seen several robberies over there and I just didn't want to worry about it. I'm on vacation, I'd like to relax! Some robbers don't ask for them nicely. :rofl: I've lived in Metro Manila area my whole life so I don't know if it's any safer in the provinces.

===========================

2008-08-16 Sent N-400

2008-08-18 Application Received

2008-08-19 Check Cashed

2008-09-18 Biometrics

2008-12-09 Interview

2009-01-XX Oath (Yay! I'm a citizen)

==========================

07/19 - NOA2 approval

08/20 - Case received at NVC

08/23 - emailed DS-3022

08/25 - mailed AOS

08/27 - received AOS

08/31 - AOS Accepted

09/04 - Received confirmation of DS-3022

09/05 - Received IV invoice

09/05 - Pay IV bill

09/06 - IV showed as paid

09/06 - Send DS-230 packet

09/10 - Received DS-230 packet by NVC

09/17 - DS-230 Accepted/Case Complete

09/28 - Transfer to Manila Embassy

10/02 - Medical Exam at St. Luke's

10/08- 10/10 - Sputum Test

10/09 - Received by Manila Embassy

10/12 - Result of Sputum Test (Need to repeat)

10/16-10/18 - Repeat Sputum Test (Negative)

12/13 - Sputum Final Result (Negative)

12/21 - Interview at Embassy (Approved)

12/28 - Visa Picked Up from 2GO

12/28 - CFO

12/30 - POE (LAX)

It is best not to wear jewelry in the PHL. There is a story I always refer to: A woman who was wearing diamond earrings while riding the jeepney. It was a really traffic and there were people passing selling water, etc. By the time the jeepney moved, the earrings were gone.

1/18/2013 - Married

3/5/2013 - Filed AOS, EAD & AP

3/7/2013 - USCIS Chicago rec'd applications

3/12/2013 - USCIS sends NOA1 email

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

hahaha well thats only made in tthe philippines,I am wearing mine too but maybe you ned to have that extra care and maybe you can used your commn sense that you dont have to wear any jewelries when your going to a crowded place ,,,,

OH MARY CONCEIVED WITHOUT SIN, PLS PRAY FOR US WHO HAVE RECOURSE TO thee

Timeline

hahaha well thats only made in tthe philippines,I am wearing mine too but maybe you ned to have that extra care and maybe you can used your commn sense that you dont have to wear any jewelries when your going to a crowded place ,,,,

I wear my wedding ring and use my laptop or tablet while I take the subway in the train station. Somebody who grew up in US who uses their common sense wouldn't think about having their jewelries taken in broad daylight in a crowded place with lots of witnesses.

===========================

2008-08-16 Sent N-400

2008-08-18 Application Received

2008-08-19 Check Cashed

2008-09-18 Biometrics

2008-12-09 Interview

2009-01-XX Oath (Yay! I'm a citizen)

==========================

07/19 - NOA2 approval

08/20 - Case received at NVC

08/23 - emailed DS-3022

08/25 - mailed AOS

08/27 - received AOS

08/31 - AOS Accepted

09/04 - Received confirmation of DS-3022

09/05 - Received IV invoice

09/05 - Pay IV bill

09/06 - IV showed as paid

09/06 - Send DS-230 packet

09/10 - Received DS-230 packet by NVC

09/17 - DS-230 Accepted/Case Complete

09/28 - Transfer to Manila Embassy

10/02 - Medical Exam at St. Luke's

10/08- 10/10 - Sputum Test

10/09 - Received by Manila Embassy

10/12 - Result of Sputum Test (Need to repeat)

10/16-10/18 - Repeat Sputum Test (Negative)

12/13 - Sputum Final Result (Negative)

12/21 - Interview at Embassy (Approved)

12/28 - Visa Picked Up from 2GO

12/28 - CFO

12/30 - POE (LAX)

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

it depends on which part of the country you're going. if you're going to the provinces/country side, not the city, only provincial towns where people knows everyone, then you can wear all the jewelry you like. no one would snatch it or rob you. everyone knows everyone.

people from where i'm from, wear their jewelry almost everywhere. i'm from the province.

but if you're in a Manila or even cities far from manila, just to be on the safe side, please keep your valuables, on a safe place.

as1cHr40g410000MTU3bHN8MDQ1MTAzNGx8c2luY2Ugd2UgbWV0IGluIG1hdGNo.gif

as1cJK60g410000MDAwMDEwN2x8MDE1NWxzfHNpbmNlIHdlIGZvdW5kIG91ciBsb3Zl.gif

event.png

as1cJYl0g410010MDAwNTQ2NnN8MDE1NnN8c2luY2Ugd2VkZGluZyBkYXk.gif

it depends on which part of the country you're going. if you're going to the provinces/country side, not the city, only provincial towns where people knows everyone, then you can wear all the jewelry you like. no one would snatch it or rob you. everyone knows everyone.

people from where i'm from, wear their jewelry almost everywhere. i'm from the province.

but if you're in a Manila or even cities far from manila, just to be on the safe side, please keep your valuables, on a safe place.

:thumbs: All true! :)

@inhistime did u ever ride a jeep, tricycle or train in Manila? If yes, you're lucky that you still have your jewelries :) yeah, extra careful :thumbs:

Sep10,2010 - met via messenger at work (same company)
Mar21,2011 - officially bf/gf wink.png
Oct2-15,2011 - first time together (Philippines)
Feb2012 - gathered K1 requirements
March23 - I-129f sent to Dallas lockbox
Mar26 - noa1 routed to VSC (email/text)
March29 - touched
Sep18 - Finally.. NOA2!!!
Oct11 & 12 - SLEC medical exam - PASSED!
Oct24 - USEM Manila interview - PASSED! Thanks God..
Nov13 - POE DFW, TX
Nov20 - Dallas,TX wedding
-----

Feb12 - AOS sent

Mar13 - Biometrics

Apr6 - got my EAD/AP

Timeline

Before my wife came to the US in 2008 I spent 3500 US dollars on a ring and gave it to her in Manila. She never put it on orless I was with her on the trips I took there because of the robbers. Its not safe so dont do it. She waited until she arrived in the US to put it on.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.