yourwelcome

What do CBP see when they scan your passport?

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hey Guys just another question :P

As some people know im going to NJ again for the 5th time since May 2011, and planning to go in about a month ( a month and a half since my last trip )

Just wondering, i'm signing back into college so will documents showing that be evidence for return, and im working part time in my dads company too, even though he's my dad would a professional letter from him saying im returning to work be good evidence too?

Alsoooooo - You know when CBP officers scan your passport what information does it show them? I always say im visiting my boyfriend but people are recommending i try to not mention that, without telling a lie - if i did this what could i say that would be believable of an 19 year old alone female traveller? and also, if i didnt mention my bf would they know about him anyway because possibly they wrote that on the system ?

Don't want to get caught out, and certainly don't want to lie but, if i can say something that's actually true like, spending my birthday money and going xmas shopping, should i mention that instead of, visiting my bf and his sisters new born baby............

First rule of thumb: NEVER lie to the CBP. Ever. This can land you in far more trouble than telling the truth. And don't evade their questions because they will get to the truth and then wonder what else it is you have to hide.... and why.

Your scanned passport brings up the basic information encoded within. But they can drill down to past entries and any notations made by the last officers who admitted you. Having a boyfriend in the US is a noteworthy piece of information, so I would go with the assumption that they have that notated.

A return ticket, the college documents, and a letter from your employer will all aid in proving ties to your country. Good luck, and enjoy your vacation. :)

iagree.gif

You don't have to volunteer information. But don't ever, ever, ever lie to the CBP. One lie can have you banned from entering the US for 5 years, 10 years, maybe even life.

So. You don't have to volunteer that you're visiting your bf. You can list all the other things you're doing, but of asked directly "do you have a bf in the US?" Be truthful.

As for what pops up when they scan your passport, I don't know for sure. I know your biometric info comes up on their screen. Also, s part of their screen turns red or green. I'm assuming the green means their database can't immediately find anything "bad." I'm assuming red means something "bad." Remember that since ESTA, the CBP already knows you're coming before dinner is even served on your flight.

As for what notes they take etc. If you've never had any trouble getting through, I doubt they've been taking notes. I've been through POEs plenty of times, and I have not ever noticed them topping in what I say. Unless, if you've been to secondary inspection, then you can be certain they have you word by word.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.