SweetnessATX

JA K1 - Help Please - Passport Expiration

18 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Oy just noticed my JA fiance's passport expires January 27th, 2013 and the checklist says it should be valid at least 6 mths past the visa issuance. Anyone have this issue? I assume we should go ahead and renew it right away. Anyone know what it required to renew in JA and where we should go? how long it will take? Interview is Friday

thanks so much -

ONE LOVE

Oy just noticed my JA fiance's passport expires January 27th, 2013 and the checklist says it should be valid at least 6 mths past the visa issuance. Anyone have this issue? I assume we should go ahead and renew it right away. Anyone know what it required to renew in JA and where we should go? how long it will take? Interview is Friday

thanks so much -

It won't happen before Friday.You are talking about Jamaica. Google to renew Jamaican passport in Jamamica. Have finance to ask someone in the yaard/communtiy,everyones knows...

Click on the link

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20090819/lead/lead9.html

Edited by LIFE'SJOURNEY

Content of link

Persons applying for a Jamaican passport should ensure that they fulfil the following requirements in order to be issued with the document:

General Information

1. Submit a completed application form accompanied by two passport-sized photographs. Application forms are available at our offices at 25C Constant Spring Road; Overton Plaza, Montego Bay and at Immigration Offices at Police Headquarters islandwide and on our website at www.PICA.gov.jm.

2. Ensure that passport application forms and at least one of the photographs are certified by persons authorised to do so. A listing of such persons is noted on the application form.

3. Ensure that your application form and photograph are valid. Application forms and photographs are valid up to six months after the date of certification.

4. Note that fees ($2,500 for adults and $1,500 for children) must be paid on the day the application is submitted.

5. Please take along supporting documents (such as your birth certificate, marriage certificate where necessary or school records where required) with your passport applications. Documents should not be laminated or photocopied.

First-time applicants

Persons who have never held a passport MUST appear in person either at the head office at 25C Constant Spring Road or to an immigration officer situated in the police divisional headquarters in each parish.

Note to applicants for renewal of passport:

A passport may be renewed if it is expired, if there are no more pages for visas or if the holder has changed his or her name. The applicant is required to complete an application form and submit the expired passport as well as his or her birth certificate and photographs.

Women who are married/divorced or widowed and using the surname of their husband, are required to submit a marriage certificate issued by the Registrar General's Department. In the case of persons married overseas, a marriage certificate issued by the state is required.

Applications for minors

Where an application is being made for a minor (person under 18), one of the parents or a legal guardian is required to complete the application form. Persons appointed as legal guardians should also present the letter from the court conferring guardianship on that individual.

Persons acting on behalf of a parent, who is overseas, need a letter of authorisation and copy of the parent's passport or valid photo ID.

Children three years and over are required to appear in person with their parent/guardian for all applications.

Collecting Passports

Passports are issued on the date stipulated on the receipt. If collecting in person, the applicant is expected to present the receipt. If collecting on behalf of another person, a letter signed by the applicant and a copy of the applicant's ID must accompany the receipt.

To ensure that you have all that is needed to properly complete your passport application, we have included a checklist which you may keep as a quick guide when needed.

First time for an Adult

1 Birth certificate/certificate of citizenship/adoption Certificate

2 Valid photo identification

3 Certified application form

4 Two photographs (one of which must be certified)

5 Marriage certificate (Women using a married name)

6 Fee - $2500

Renewal - Adult

1 Birth certificate/certificate of citizenship/adoption certificate

2 Current passport

3 Certified application form

4 Two photographs (one of which must be certified)

5 Marriage certificate (Women using a married name)

6 Fee - $2500

Application for a Minor

1 Birth certificate/certificate of Citizenship/adoption certificate

2 Certified application form

3 Sections C and E must be completed and signed by parent/legal guardian

4 Parent's ID

5 Two photographs (one of which must be certified)

6 Fee - $1500

Processing time for applications

Seven working days for compliant applications received at 25c Constant Spring Road

Ten working days for applications received in Montego Bay at Overton Plaza.

The PICA Corner

Welcome to the second instalment of The PICA Corner where The Gleaner, in collaboration with the Passport, Immigration and Citizenship Agency, will answer all your questions on immigration, citizenship and passports. Send your questions, comments and suggestions to editor@gleanerjm.com and the PICA will respond.

Timeline

A next day service is available. I think it cost $7,500. If he has everything and gets the documents signed up by the officials he can go in early Wednesday morning and pick it up Thursday.

The supporting documents etc mention by LIFE is also important.

I know the next day service is available in Kingston. Not sure about Mobay. Call the passport office and ask.

He sure has a lot to do. Maybe he should go collect his Medical Package today instead of Thursday so that he can deal with it in good time.

Edited by velrich

Petitioner LPR upgraded to USC June 22, 2012
August 22, 2012: case complete
October 18, 2012: Interview (APPROVED)
October 26, 2012: Picked up visa from DHL (delay caused by Sandy)
December 15, 2012: POE Atlanta....................became USC July 2016!!!!

Mothers' Journey (My sister is the petitioner)

September 10, 2013: Sent I-130 (UPS next day service)

September 12, 2013: Received text to confirm delivery

September 16, 2013: Received NOA 1

March 22, 2014: Received NOA 2

April 8, 2014: File Received by NVC

May 26, 2015: Interview (approved)..........now LPR (delays caused by 2 RFE)

Timeline

oy OK thanks luckily he is going to Mobay tomorrow anyway so he can try to go early and expedite for pick up Thurs....but of course more stress. Doin the best we can though.

Thanks everyone.

ONE LOVE

Timeline

Thank you Life's for the great info as always. You are golden.

velrich of course it is nah easy. He live in Cave hours away from Mobay so no time to go today. I am wondering if we just wait and if required do next day service in Kingston and just stay over....He would have to go do both tomorrow in Mobay and stay over to get it on Thurs and the Knutsford leaves from Mobay at 12:30 that day to take us to Kingston so we would have to count on it being ready by mid morning and yes this is Jamaica so nothin rushes. Oh my. gonna think what is best

ONE LOVE

Office Locations:

The Passport, Immigration and Citizenship Agency, is an Executive Agency of the Government of Jamaica, under the Ministry of National Security. Our offices are located at:

Head Office

Passport, Immigration & Citizenship Agency

25 Constant Spring Road, Kingston 10,

Jamaica WI

Telephone: (1876) 754-PICA(7422) / 754-4742

Facsimile: (1876) 906-4372

Email: info@pica.gov.jm

Montego Bay

Overton Plaza

49 Union Street, Shop # 40 - 41

Montego Bay

St. James

Telephone: 952-5380-1

Fax: 940-6930

Timeline

OK from PICA it says Kingston is only office that offers overnight processing for $7000JD so that is what we will work with. Doh don't think there is enough time to renew before 8:00 am Friday. I feel foolish for not noticing this detail before today so now must pay the consequences.

Thanks everyone. Its gonna be OK

ONE LOVE

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

OK from PICA it says Kingston is only office that offers overnight processing for $7000JD so that is what we will work with. Doh don't think there is enough time to renew before 8:00 am Friday. I feel foolish for not noticing this detail before today so now must pay the consequences.

Thanks everyone. Its gonna be OK

god luck with that. i hope you get through so the interview go well on friday :thumbs:

AOS

10/16/2012 Mailed I-485, I-765, I-131
10/19/2012 NOA1
11/09/2012 Biometrics Apt @ 3pm
12/25/2012 EAD/AP Approval
01/05/2013 Received EAD/AP in mail

06/20/2013 AOS APPROVED!!!!!

LIFTING OF CONDITIONS

3/23/15 Mailed I-751

3/25/15 NOA1

3/28/15 NOA1 Received in the Mail

4/28/15 Biometrics Apt.

11/13/15 ROC Approved

11/18/15 Approval Letter Received

Timeline

Thanks everyone. My dear fiance is actually gonna try to pull of a miracle tomorrow and travel from Cave to Negril and pick up documents to renew passport, then to north of mobay (rose hall) to pick up the Medical envelope by 10:30 and then travel to Kingston passport office to order the renewal before they close, so we can pick up on Thursday in time for the Friday morning interview. He wants to try so I will be praying for him all day. He can stay over with his sister there and I will travel down and meet him on Thursday instead of traveling together. Gotta stay flexible and keep the faith. Worth a shot!

ONE LOVE

Timeline

the wording makes it sound like it has to BE EXPIRED to renew.??????or is it assumed you can do it before

It does not have to expire before it is renewed. Jamaican passports can be renewed 6 months before expiry date.

Hope it all works out. He needs to HURRY. I think they close to the public at 3:00 pm.

Edited by velrich

Petitioner LPR upgraded to USC June 22, 2012
August 22, 2012: case complete
October 18, 2012: Interview (APPROVED)
October 26, 2012: Picked up visa from DHL (delay caused by Sandy)
December 15, 2012: POE Atlanta....................became USC July 2016!!!!

Mothers' Journey (My sister is the petitioner)

September 10, 2013: Sent I-130 (UPS next day service)

September 12, 2013: Received text to confirm delivery

September 16, 2013: Received NOA 1

March 22, 2014: Received NOA 2

April 8, 2014: File Received by NVC

May 26, 2015: Interview (approved)..........now LPR (delays caused by 2 RFE)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Thanks everyone. My dear fiance is actually gonna try to pull of a miracle tomorrow and travel from Cave to Negril and pick up documents to renew passport, then to north of mobay (rose hall) to pick up the Medical envelope by 10:30 and then travel to Kingston passport office to order the renewal before they close, so we can pick up on Thursday in time for the Friday morning interview. He wants to try so I will be praying for him all day. He can stay over with his sister there and I will travel down and meet him on Thursday instead of traveling together. Gotta stay flexible and keep the faith. Worth a shot!

wow, all the best.

AOS

10/16/2012 Mailed I-485, I-765, I-131
10/19/2012 NOA1
11/09/2012 Biometrics Apt @ 3pm
12/25/2012 EAD/AP Approval
01/05/2013 Received EAD/AP in mail

06/20/2013 AOS APPROVED!!!!!

LIFTING OF CONDITIONS

3/23/15 Mailed I-751

3/25/15 NOA1

3/28/15 NOA1 Received in the Mail

4/28/15 Biometrics Apt.

11/13/15 ROC Approved

11/18/15 Approval Letter Received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.