Cami94

Canadian wanting to visit USA for 6 months then apply for visa

20 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Thats what I was wondering! When I went for my 2 week visit, my passport wasn't stamped, nothing indicating that I had a specific amount of time there or had to leave by a certain date. I didn't know If it was legal to extend my stay, within the 6 month range

yep one can do that. They can put a date on it, but they rarely do!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

yep one can do that. They can put a date on it, but they rarely do!!

Does this still count If I filled out an I-94? (I think thats the name of it) When I crossed the border I was handed a form to fill out, asking the duration of my stay, the address Im staying at, and my flight number etc... So is it legal to choose to extend my stay, even though I wrote my stay was for 2 weeks on the form?

K1 VISA

01/15/2013-I-129f sent
01/17/2013-NOA1 date
02/01/2013-NOA1 hardcopy received
06/19/2013-NOA2 APPROVED!
07/11/2013-Case forwarded to DOS (took them long enough)
07/30/2013- Case received by Vancouver. Received packet 3 via email
08/16/2013-Received packet 4
09/09/2013-Medical
09/11/2013-Interview APPROVED!
09/23/2013-POE YVR airport
10/22/2013-Marriage

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS

01/23/2014-Filed for Greencard
02/10/2014-NOA1 received
03/12/2014 RFE :(

03/18/2014-Biometrics
05/20/2014 Work permit received
July 2014 interview and approval! Received green card!

August 2014 found job!

and the journey continues....

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Hey everyone! So this'll be kinda long, any help, advice, past experiences is much appreciated!

I just returned from a 2 week trip visiting my fiance in Florida. It was my first time visiting him in the US, he's been here to visit me on 3 separate occasions in the past 2 years. I crossed the Peace arch border in BC by bus into Seattle then took a flight from Seattle to Florida. I returned home on October 6th. Of course I was very sad to leave..we have decided what we want to do and we hope we can minimize our time apart(crossing my fingers)I plan to return about a month from now and travel the same way, except this time I'm aiming to stay for 6 months, which I've heard is the maximum time allowed for a Canadian to stay in the US for one visit-correct me if I'm wrong. I want to travel there for that amount of time then apply for the K-1 visa when I arrive. So my questions are:

1.) Is this possible? Has anyone traveled to the USA for months at a time and THEN applied for the visa when they arrived? So they can be with their fiance for (hopefully) most of the waiting time? What is your experience with this?

2.) If its doable what do I tell the POE officer? I know its best to answer only the questions asked and not offer more information but I don't want to be shut down and turned away immediately once I say I'm visiting my fiance. I fully intend to return home after my trip and wait out the remainder of the visa process

3.) How do I prove I will return home? I currently have two part time jobs but I will have to quit them both before I leave. I live with my mother and she would be able to write a letter stating that this is my home and when I will be returning. The only proof of ties here I have is family and a bank account, without a job, is that not good enough proof?

On another note I'm wondering if its legal to extend my stay in the US? For example I say I'm traveling for 3 weeks and decided to stay for another 2 and re-book my return flight? I tried looking up this information during my trip but found no answers. I'm just looking for the best way that I can do this and not have to wait here a year without seeing my fiance. He has a full time job and wouldn't be able to visit me much, if at all here, and Id really like to get to know the place I may be calling my home once the visa is approved.

Thanks!

Me and my now fiance did this. I went to stay with him for 4 months and returned home and tried to go back with him again and after leaving my job and what not they denied me going with him because of lack of ties to my home country. It was the most horrible experience of my life. I would really advise you to think it through and brace yourself for what could happen.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I do not suggest you do this. Once you get flagged for lack of ties, you can be flagged for up to 5 years.

My husband was flagged on his first visit to see me because he was staying for 2.5 months and had the same ties as you.

As a result, we've had (5) I-94 passes, (4) Denials, and one of those was almost a denial for our WEDDING!

Edited by KDubovik

oldlady.gif

Timeline

My fiance lived with me in Canada for 4 months. He had his job suspended, and a letter from his employer saying that he was going to be back at work in December (he came up in August). I think he also brought a statement from the bank showing what he had in his account. He didn't bring too much luggage with him, actually, just a large duffle bag, a smaller carry-on sized bag, and his laptop, so it didn't look like he was actually moving up here. It was all just clothes that he brought.

When he got here, they pulled him into secondary at Pearson. Apparently they grilled him pretty hard. Then I got a call on my cell, and they also grilled me - they asked me who I was, if I was expecting someone, what my relationship was to him, if I was working (where, full time or part? etc), what he was planning on doing, if I was going to support him while he was here, etc. They spent about 10 min on the phone with me, and I was shaking in my boots. They let him through, and stamped on his passport the last day he was allowed to be in the country (I think they actually put February on the passport, but we knew he wouldn't be staying that long anyway - we had plans to go to Florida for Christmas, and he was going to stay back at that point).

It was intense, but we got through it. I think he actually said to the officer that his intention was actually to live with me, so that he could get to know me, and eventually propose to me & bring me back to his country LOL. That *may* have been what swayed the officer. He was never rude or un-truthful, and we knew the risks that he may not have been allowed in.

Now, that's for an American coming to Canada, keep in mind. I don't have any experiences the other way around, but I thought I'd share what I do know.

Ex27m5.png MbP5m4.png

VJsig.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.