rangers_texas

Anyone know if I need to pay tax on the CPT?

20 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Thanks for the info. Although while on CPT I have read I do not need to pay medicare or social security since I am a non resident alien as I have been here for less than 5 years, is this correct? I read that on the ICE website. With regards to taxes, I will make sure I get that changed. So my question should be how much money do I need to earn to pay taxes? If im understanding you correctly I need to pay taxes regardless of how much I make, but I can file for a tax refund at the end of the tax year?

I don't know if you are exempt from paying into Social Security and Medicare on CPT.

The income threshold requiring you to file a tax return will depend on your marital status and income. It is a different amount for single, married, or head of household.

For a single person, the amount is around $9500. A single person who makes more than $9500 must file a tax return. If the single person earns less than $9500, then no federal tax return is required.

When you live in the US you have to file a tax return every year regardless if you have any income. so you just do the tax return as you should have done in the last years and report your income. you should get a form from every employer noting the salary and the amount of state and federal tax. so next April just file your federal and state tax returns.

Absolutely wrong. If a person has no income or income below the reporting threshold, the person is exempt from filing a federal tax return.

Absolutely wrong. If a person has no income or income below the reporting threshold, the person is exempt from filing a federal tax return.

well, the international tax expert at my university told us that all international students are required to file their taxes regardless if they earn money in the US or not.

it might be different for resident aliens (for tax purp), but the OP is not one.

I spoke to the tax preparer at work and she said if I am earning less than $9500 from Jan to Dec then I do not need to withhold taxes.

the deductible for non resident aliens is different then the one for resident aliens. make sure you ask someone you has knowledge about taxes for non-residents.

does your school offer cintax?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Welcome to America! :)

Pay your taxes...:yes:....You should talk to a local professional, it would probably be free or close to it for them to tell you what you are legally obligated to do in your particular situation.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

OP you have asked this question on other forum and you were told the same answer YES.... you have to pay the tax.

You are not exempt if you make less than the yearly amount for single person you will get a refund at the end of the year, even if your OPT expires in Dec.

There is no such law that if you are in US for less than 5 years you are not required to pay the tax. SS is witheld does not matter if you are on F1 or H1 and you might never use it.

Everyone is required to pay SS and Medicare does not matter of their status in US.

Tax consultant whom you talked did give you right advice but (s)he did not tell you that your employeer is required to withhold your tax and in end you will get refund - thats how you don't pay tax.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.