Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

ssnumber in arizona

3 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

i went to ss office in down town phoenix and i showed them , my marriage certificate but still they didnt allow me to have a ssnumber/ card with my married name on it?? what should i do to have it change,, they say immigration wont allow it ...... but my friend in california she got her card with married name on it??... any solution plz help :)

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

that is correct. If you are out of status and your I-94 is expired then you must wait. You should have gone to get a ssn as soon as possible when after you arrived.Just do after you AOS and receive green card

Edited by Anne and Bret

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

You are a K-1'er, so you are legally entitled to have a Social Security number.

You entered the U.S. on September 4, 2012, so your I-94 has not expired, and you are not in the final two weeks of your I-94's validity, so you are legally entitled to have a SSN at this time.

It's not clear to me whether you already have a SSN and you simply want to change the name on your card to your married name. If you simply want to change the name on your current SS card, then you are legally entitled to do so because you are not in the final two weeks of your I-94's validity. On the other hand, if you are filing for your first SS card, then you should be able to do that.

My wife, Chinook, was a K-1'er also. She applied for a SSN in her maiden name about one week after she arrived in the U.S. She received her SS card in the mail about one week later. After we were married, we went back to the Social Security office and Chinook filed for a name change to her married name. Chinook filed for a name change about five weeks before her I-94 expired. About one week later, she received her new card in the mail.

You need to go back to the SS office and talk to a supervisor. Or, you can try a different SS office.

Tahoma and Chinook's K1 story --->> http://www.visajourney.com/forums/user/57425-tahoma/

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.