Yanka

Working on the campus while AOS is pending

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

Hi,

I'm currently adjusting form an F-1 and my AOS is pending. At present time I haven an active enrollment and a part time job on the campus.

I have 2 Qs,

1. while AOS is pending should I keep my active enrollment with school?

I've heard, that once you submit your AOS application, your status with USCIS is changing from an F-1 into an adjustee, regardless of your school enrollment. Also, being an F-1 student is considered a privilege (it's not a right), so if you lose your status for whatever reason (denied AOS, criminal act...) your F-1 status will be automatically terminated. Based on this info it doesn't really matter if you have a current enrollment while AOS is pending. Am I right?

2. can I continue working on the campus without an active enrollment, given that my I-20 is current, AOS is pending and EAD is hopefully on its way?

i'd really appreciate your answers.

PS: i walked in for a missed biometrics today and it went well.

Tx

1. Yes.

2. Yes. You can continue to attend school and work under the terms of your F1 visa.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Timeline

As far as I know, if you go to your International Office and tell them that you're AOSing then you get the option of "maintaining F1 status" until your application is pending. Meaning, you'll be just like a regular F1 student, can work on campus, pays non-resident tuition etc. Then if you are denied, no problem, if your I-20 is still valid, you'll stay F1 student, if you're I-20 is not valid by that time, then yes, you are done, and will have to return to your home country. At that point, chances are small you could get OPT, or H1B offers as you already showed "immigration intend" previously...but I am not so sure of this. Anyway, for now, you'll just going to be as before while your application is pending. So, you can work on campus and do whatever you have been doing before as an F1 student before you filed for AOS.

Good luck!

As far as I know, if you go to your International Office and tell them that you're AOSing then you get the option of "maintaining F1 status" until your application is pending. Meaning, you'll be just like a regular F1 student, can work on campus, pays non-resident tuition etc.

But to maintain your F-1 status you have to be a full time student.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.