jpatchett3

US Citizen Married to Canadian Citizen - Journey Begins

22 posts in this topic

Advance Parole is for people who are adjusting status in the US to be able to leave the US without being considered as abandoning the process.

Your wife can visit, she just needs to carry proof of ties to Canada to show that she’s not immigrating (at this time). A copy of the NOA1/initial package wouldn’t hurt either - this would show you are already doing the process the right way. Whatever she can think of to show that she has a life back in Canada and is just visiting.

For proof of ties I normally bring with me: my lease agreement, a letter from my boss saying that I’m visiting and when I’m coming back (on letterhead), have my return flight itinerary to show that I have a flight booked to leave the US and the last few trips some immigration documentation. I know there are a lot of threads on here showing what other people bring with them.

I have never been asked for proof of ties but it can happen and it’s also best to NOT overpack. The less stuff you’re bringing down the more they realize that yes it’s just a visit.

Good luck and don’t worry too much :)

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Advance Parole is for people who are adjusting status in the US to be able to leave the US without being considered as abandoning the process.

Your wife can visit, she just needs to carry proof of ties to Canada to show that she’s not immigrating (at this time). A copy of the NOA1/initial package wouldn’t hurt either - this would show you are already doing the process the right way. Whatever she can think of to show that she has a life back in Canada and is just visiting.

For proof of ties I normally bring with me: my lease agreement, a letter from my boss saying that I’m visiting and when I’m coming back (on letterhead), have my return flight itinerary to show that I have a flight booked to leave the US and the last few trips some immigration documentation. I know there are a lot of threads on here showing what other people bring with them.

I have never been asked for proof of ties but it can happen and it’s also best to NOT overpack. The less stuff you’re bringing down the more they realize that yes it’s just a visit.

Good luck and don’t worry too much :)

Thank you very much! I appreciate the info. She's going to book and follow your instructions and hopefully gets in :) Thanks again

Just be honest and straight forward. I've never been asked for my ties either, but I bring them. I tell them I'm visiting my husband, when I am returning, sometimes they ask how we met, or where he works or where I work, but I've never had a problem thus far. I only bring a carry on because that's all the clothes I would need for 10 days. I can do laundry and we just have a toothbrush etc at our apartment in the USA.

Best of luck to you guys :D

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

• 1 month later...
Timeline

Hi Everyone,

I'm hoping someone can help me with this because my wife and I are super confused - just when it was all going well :P

Basically all I want to know is do I have to fill out the I-864 if it was never sent to me? My wife just submitted the DS-260 electronically through the online NVC site and sent the supporting documents by email to the NVC.

According to most sites, it seems we should have received the I-846 by mail (in our case likely email since we opted for electronic processing) and we never received it. All our fees have been paid (AOS and IV) so it's strange.

Is it that we just download the form ourselves, fill it out and send it by email? Or should we wait until we are requested to do it?

Any info you have would help us very much.

Thank the lord for this wonderful site - you guys are all great!

Jamie

Yes download the form. Fill it out, sign it , scan it back with scans of pay stubs, tax transcripts, etc.. make sure the beneficiary has the original signed I-864 to take with them to the interview in case it is asked for.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Posted Today, 10:11 AM

Yes download the form. Fill it out, sign it , scan it back with scans of pay stubs, tax transcripts, etc.. make sure the beneficiary has the original signed I-864 to take with them to the interview in case it is asked for.

Smile, makes 'em wonder what you've been up to.

Thank you! We did it today!

• 4 weeks later...
Timeline

Good news everyone! My wife's received her interview on May 14th for JUNE 12th! That was fast!

Just wondering if anyone had any ideas what kind of questions they will ask her and/or how long it will take.

Any insight will be appreciated!

Thanks all!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.