Rosie420

Citizenship Interview Review - Springfield, MO

4 posts in this topic

My husband (Danny) had his interview/test today in Springfield, MO. We would normally go to Kansas City, but apparently the federal building there is temporarily closed, so interviews are being held at Drury University in Springfield. We arrived early, there were only 2 agents conducting interviews. My husband's file was assigned to the male agent. He informed us that he was about to go on his lunch break and would return in 45 mins. We chose to remain at the library until he returned. Once he got back, he called Danny into the office and had him swear to tell the truth.

He went over Danny's N-400, confirming his answers to the questions. He didn't ask for our marriage certificate or my previous divorce decree. He didn't really look at our previous tax returns, we just had print-outs of our 1040 for the past 3 years, he basically said anyone could fake those forms so there was no point looking at them lol. He didn't ask for tax transcripts but did ask for W-2s which we didn't have but he seemed to be OK with that. He looked over our 'proof of marriage', we took our joint bank account statement and joint car insurance and those seemed satisfactory. He asked Danny our wedding date, how long we have lived at our current address, questions about my daughter (how old is she? what grade is she in?) and when was our last argument and what was it about.

Then he asked Danny to read a sentence and write a sentence, and commented that it's always silly to give the English test to native English speakers. He asked if Danny would be willing to bear arms in defense of the USA and if he would perform non-combatant service for the USA if needed. The questions he asked were as follows:

When do men have to register for the selective service? (Note: the answer he wanted was 'between 18 and 26', when Danny said 'at 18' he was asked to be more specific..)

Name one state that borders Canada.

How many Senators are there?

What ocean is on the east coast?

What is freedom of religion?

When was the Constitution written?

The whole time Danny was being interviewed, I could see into the room which made me really nervous lol. The interview took longer than the other person who was being tested at the same time, but partly because the agent testing my husband had computer problems and had to call someone to help him.. At the end, the agent asked Danny to choose between 2 upcoming oath ceremonies. Danny told him "I better ask my wife" and they waved for me to come into the room. We were given the choice of the next regularly scheduled ceremony in Kansas City on October 18th or a special oath ceremony being held in the the Joplin, MO area on October 12th. We were bummed that Danny will not make the Missouri cutoff date to vote in this November's election (it is Oct 6th here) but happy that he passed! We chose the Joplin ceremony on 10/12.

The agent said Danny will receive a letter in the mail telling him the time and place of the ceremony and he will need to bring the letter and his green card to the ceremony site or he will not be able to take the oath and will have to be rescheduled for another date. Overall it was pretty painless and very laid back compared to all the other immigration interviews we have been to and biometrics appointments at the big federal building in St Louis! Thanks to everyone here for all your support.. We started this process back in 2005 when we applied for his K1 visa and we are finally almost done! Love this site and all the support and advice we have received over the years! Thanks to everyone here!

Current Journey - Naturalization

25 Jun 2012 - Filed N-400

28 Jun 2012 - NOA

03 Jul 2012 - Biometrics Letter

30 Jul 2012 - Fingerprints in St Louis, MO

02 Aug 2012 - Interview Notice for 11 Sept 2012 in Kansas City, MO

08 Aug 2012 - Letter stating interview has been cancelled

09 Aug 2012 - Interview Notice for 18 Sept 2012 in Springfield, MO

18 Sept 2012 - Approved! Oath ceremony 10/12/12

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

ConGraTuLaTions :):dance::star:

Sent I-129 Application to VSC 2/1/12
NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Manila Embassy received 9/5/12
Visa appointment & approval 9/7/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012
AOS application sent 12/19/12

AOS approved 8/24/13

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks for sharing. Still waiting for my interview schedule in St. Louis. I hope soon as I want things done before my due date in December.

Congrats!

Lifting Condition (I-751)

09/09/2011 - Sent the package to CSC

09/13/2011 - CSC received the package

09/15/2011 - CSC cashed check and NOA1 Received

09/26/2011 - Biometrics Appointment Notice Date (Sent)

10/13/2011 - Early Biometrics

10/19/2011 - Biometrics Appointment

10/26/2011 - GC expiration

11/25/2011 - Received RFE

11/28/2011 - Sent response to RFE

01/13/2012 - Ordered card production (Approved)

01/19/2012 - 10 yrs GC received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.