special4ever

Different Names

3 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Concern:

Married Name on physical GC, Previous Name on USCIS record system according to SSN Office.

I wanted to enlist in the military. I have a 2 year Conditional GC through marriage, and still have a year to wait for ROC. My SSN card and my GC have my married name. But I got my SSN before I got my GC, so it has the "Work Only" purposes. Military advised me to update my SSN and ask to have the condition to be removed. So, I went to the SSN office. I was told that in the USCIS record, my last name is still in my previous name; I told them, that was the name that I used when I applied for my GC, but during my interview, I requested to change my last name into my married name, that is why I have my married name in my GC. Although, SSN office were able to update my SSN and will mail it in 2 weeks, they still advised me to update it with USCIS.

Questions:

1. How do I update it? Should I go to the USCIS office? Or just call them first? Should I wait for my new SSN to come in the mail before I go to the USCIS?

2. Will this cause a problem if I don't update it before I enlist? And if I travel overseas?

3. Why does this happen?

Your opinion and advice will be highly appreciated. Thank you very much in advance.

566xi2.png

I was on B2 visa, husband is US citizen.

08/2011 - Got married.

08/19/2011- AOS Application filed (I-485, I-130, I-765)

09/02/2011- NOA of Acceptance

09/27/2011- Biometric Appointment

10/18/2011- EAD approved

10/25/2011- Interview letter invitation

10/27/2011- EAD card in hand

11/16/2011- Interview date (Approved on the spot, no stamp on the passport)

11/17/2011- Card production

11/22/2011- Post-Decision Activity that USCIS has mailed the noticed of the approved I-485 application.

11/25/2011- Received the GC and Welcome to the USA letter! Thank you VisaJourney! Thank you Lord!

I think the name on your gc should be whats on record. You should be good to go in my opinion! Either way its still you. A marriage cert should solve any concerns.

Edited by Messybrownhair
My Journey:

We met through a study-abroad program in Shanghai, China in August of 2009

We got engaged March of 2010

I received my K1 VISA in 6 months (June-December 2010)

We were married 04/02/2011
I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

Our son was born 02/03/2013

I received my masters degree in Speech-Language Pathology 04/17/2013

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

My husband returned from deployment 06/20/2013

My naturalization journey took 4 months (April-August 2014)

I became a US citizen on 08/01/2014

Received passport in 3 weeks (regular processing)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

Concern:

Married Name on physical GC, Previous Name on USCIS record system according to SSN Office.

I wanted to enlist in the military. I have a 2 year Conditional GC through marriage, and still have a year to wait for ROC. My SSN card and my GC have my married name. But I got my SSN before I got my GC, so it has the "Work Only" purposes. Military advised me to update my SSN and ask to have the condition to be removed. So, I went to the SSN office. I was told that in the USCIS record, my last name is still in my previous name; I told them, that was the name that I used when I applied for my GC, but during my interview, I requested to change my last name into my married name, that is why I have my married name in my GC. Although, SSN office were able to update my SSN and will mail it in 2 weeks, they still advised me to update it with USCIS.

Questions:

1. How do I update it? Should I go to the USCIS office? Or just call them first? Should I wait for my new SSN to come in the mail before I go to the USCIS?

2. Will this cause a problem if I don't update it before I enlist? And if I travel overseas?

3. Why does this happen?

Your opinion and advice will be highly appreciated. Thank you very much in advance.

You are getting the usual SSA run around.

You SHOULD be able to walk into a SSA office with the GC and your SSN and get teh statement removed as the GC is that authorization and both are in the same name. Just to be safe take along your passport, which I assume is in your maiden name, your marriage certificate and your BC if you have that as back-up. Record the time, date and name of the person you deal with. Also ask for a supervisor if you are not able to remove the restriction. What does the SSA want? You have a GC in your married name and the SSC is in your married name. All you want to do is remove the restriction as you are now a LPR. If you do not get this accomplished after talking to the supervisor, leave and send an e-mail to the main SSA e-mail address explaining what you are trying to do and what happened. You should get n e-mail reply you can take to the local office to educate them.

Have a look at what the SSA deems as acceptable documentation to changing your name. You already have the name changed. All you want to do is remove the conditions on your SSC using the GC. Why do they make this so hard? You should have no problems as both have the same name on them.

Good luck,

Dave

Edited by Dave&Roza

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.