veronika79

DV Green Card Lottery Interview Help

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi Everybody.

I have been chosen as one of DV Green Card Lottery winners for the 2013. I am the principal applicant. I am married and my husband has a 10 year old daughter from her previous marriage. The little girl lives with her mother 3000 km from us and she does not want immigrate to the US. (The mother has sole custody). My husband and I submitted the forms DSP-122, and DS-230 to Kentucky as required. On the form DS-230 question 29. (List Names, Dates and Places of Birth, and Addresses of ALL Children.) I did write that N/A because I don’t have my own child, but on my husband’s form DS-230 as required he did write the details of his child. But in question 31a. (Person(s) named in 14 and 29 who will accompany you to the United States now) we only write each other’s name not the child’s name at all. In the next question (31b. Person(s) named in 14 and 29 who will follow you to the United States at a later date.) we both wrote “none”.

So after 3 month I received an e-mail to check the status of my application. The appointment has been scheduled for October 4, 2012.

“This is the official notice for you to pursue your application for DV-2013 Visa. An appointment has been scheduled for the applicant at the stated location. The applicant and all members of the applicant’s family must appear at the appointed date and time for your interview…”

But on the appointment letter has three names, my husband name as well as his daughter’s name and mine. I as a principal applicant and my husband and his daughter as beneficiaries. My husband’s daughter is only 10 years old and cannot present at the interview because it’s impossible.(She lives far away from us and her mother wont let her to travel) We did everything honestly as required. My husband had to list her name on the form DS-230 no other way around.

Please give me some advice what to do know. If my husband daughter will not present at the interview we have no chance for successful interview? Any help or past experience would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Contact them back and tell them that you noted they listed your step daughter in error. Explain what you said about the biological mother having sole custody and that the child will not follow to join. Keep a copy of your communication. It is easier to tell them about the difference now that to try to explain at the interview.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Contact them back and tell them that you noted they listed your step daughter in error. Explain what you said about the biological mother having sole custody and that the child will not follow to join. Keep a copy of your communication. It is easier to tell them about the difference now that to try to explain at the interview.

Thank you for your kindness and giving me advice. I think this is my only option. Do you think the will let us know if we are not qualify for this reason? Also I don't know if my husband's daughter is consider as my step child or not. My husband has no any custody of the child and I never met her. In the DV-lottery entry I did not listed her, because I thought she is not a stepchild of mine. Thanks for your help.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

With all things immigration honesty is the best. You need to explain that you or they have a misunderstanding about the child. Explain the total picture. That your husband does not have the right to take the child to the interview and that you as a couple have no intent to bring the child to the US. You are the winner and technically you have the right to decide what "family" members are qualifying with you. Send copies of any legal papers that state the child in solely in the custody of the mother. Immigration officials aren't evil , they are just overly rule driven.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

With all things immigration honesty is the best. You need to explain that you or they have a misunderstanding about the child. Explain the total picture. That your husband does not have the right to take the child to the interview and that you as a couple have no intent to bring the child to the US. You are the winner and technically you have the right to decide what "family" members are qualifying with you. Send copies of any legal papers that state the child in solely in the custody of the mother. Immigration officials aren't evil , they are just overly rule driven.

Just one more question. Should I send the e-mail to KCC, or to consulate where my interview has bee scheduled.?

• 3 months later...

Just one more question. Should I send the e-mail to KCC, or to consulate where my interview has bee scheduled.?

Dear Newbie I have same case as your. Please can u tell me how your interview went . I did not apply yet for visa application because I was afraid i would be disqualified. Please help me I am late and I need to send the ds-230 form by this week.

tahnk you a lot.

fredi

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.