ladybutterfly

Going to the Social Security office tomorrow to change my name

7 posts in this topic

Now that I have my EAD card I want to change my name from my maiden name into my married name on my Social Security number. I will go into the office tomorrow and bring with me the following:

EAD Card (in married name)

Original SSN

Marriage Certificate

Passport (in maiden name)

Birth Certificate (in maiden name)

UK Driving License (in maiden name)

Is this enough evidence not to be turned away? Also I read that you can keep your original card whilst you wait for the new card to come and they shouldnt take it away from you. Anyone got the link to prove that in case they are being difficult?

Thanks!

LONDON TO CALIFORNIA ....

K1

May 5th 05 - K1 petition sent to CSC

August 23rd 05 - Visa Approved!!!

AOS and EAD

December 5th 05 - AOS and EAD sent

December 16th 05 - NOA's received for both AOS and EAD

December 31st 05 - Receive letter for AOS interview

February 6th 06 - AOS Interview - APPROVED

February 16th 06 - Biometrics Appointment

February 22nd 06 - EAD Approved via e mail

February 27th 06 - EAD card in mail!!!

March 6th 06 - Got a job!

March 17th 06 - Green Card Approval via e mail

March 18th 06 - 'Welcome to America' letter arrives

March 24th 06 - Green Card Arrives!

"Never believe that a few caring people can't change the world.

For indeed, that's all who ever have."

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

As I recall ALL I needed was the EAD and our marriage certificate. They didn't even ask me to show them the original card, so I got to keep it.

Karen - Melbourne, Australia/John - Florida, USA

- Proposal (20 August 2000) to marriage (19 December 2004) - 4 years, 3 months, 25 days (1,578 days)

STAGE 1 - Applying for K1 (15 September 2003) to K1 Approval (13 July 2004) - 9 months, 29 days (303 days)

STAGE 2A - Arriving in US (4 Nov 2004) to AOS Application (16 April 2005) - 5 months, 13 days (164 days)

STAGE 2B - Applying for AOS to GC Approval - 9 months, 4 days (279 days)

STAGE 3 - Lifting Conditions. Filing (19 Dec 2007) to Approval (December 11 2008)

STAGE 4 - CITIZENSHIP (filing under 5-year rule - residency start date on green card Jan 11th, 2006)

*N400 filed December 15, 2011

*Interview March 12, 2012

*Oath Ceremony March 23, 2012.

ALL DONE!!!!!!!!

As I recall ALL I needed was the EAD and our marriage certificate. They didn't even ask me to show them the original card, so I got to keep it.

Ditto :thumbs: It was the easiest thing I ever did with the US authorities :D Wishing you luck

Jen

Removing of Conditions Timeline

05/29/2007 - Sent package to NSC

05/31/2007 - Package received by NSC

06/01/2007 - Date on NOA (1 day after they received our package!)

06/11/2007 - NOA and Biometrics notice received via snail-mail

06/21/2007 - Biometrics taken

04/03/2008 - Transferred to CSC

05/14/2008 - Approved (notified via email)

05/21/2008 - Card received

Filed: Timeline
Now that I have my EAD card I want to change my name from my maiden name into my married name on my Social Security number. I will go into the office tomorrow and bring with me the following:

EAD Card (in married name)

Original SSN

Marriage Certificate

Passport (in maiden name)

Birth Certificate (in maiden name)

UK Driving License (in maiden name)

Is this enough evidence not to be turned away? Also I read that you can keep your original card whilst you wait for the new card to come and they shouldnt take it away from you. Anyone got the link to prove that in case they are being difficult?

Thanks!

The EAD card in married name should be enough, but I would also take passport and marriage certificate to be safe and hang onto your card until you get the new one. I would also like to know if you cleared SAVE with the EAD card. I assume your AOS is pending?

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100201080

RM 00201.080 Field Office (FO) Disposal of Returned Social Security Number (SSN) Cards

2. Card Returned With Request For Replacement Card or New SSN

If the applicant has a card and requests a replacement card (duplicate or corrected) or a new SSN:

Ask the applicant to return the old SSN card. (If the applicant does not have the card with him or her, remind the applicant to return the old card to SSA for destruction or to keep the old card in a secure place [not in a wallet or purse]).

NOTE: Do not forcefully confiscate the SSN card if the applicant refuses to relinquish it. Similarly, return the old SSN card if the applicant requests that it be given back.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203210

RM 00203.210 Changing Numident Name Data

The applicant may submit either:

One legal name change document showing both the old and new names (e.g., a court order for a name change or a marriage document. The document must also show either (1) a description or photograph of the person or (2) biographical information that can be compared with the Numident data; or

When the name change document does not show either a photograph of the person or biographical information that can be compared with the Numident data, then, in addition to the name change document, the applicant must also submit two identity documents listed in RM 00203.200E. One of the submitted identity documents must show the old name (the name on the latest Numident record) AND the other submitted identity document must show the new name (the name to be shown on the corrected SSN card). The identity documents submitted must show either a photograph of the applicant or provide biographical information that can be compared with the Numident data. (See RM 00203.200G.).

a. Bride Takes Groom’s Last Name

In all 50 U.S. States (this means the 50 States, Washington, D.C., Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, Northern Mariana Islands, and American Samoa) the bride may take her husband's last name (surname or family name) as her new last name. (EXAMPLE: Jane Doe married John Jones and she may change her name to Jane Jones.)

Interim Guidance: If the bride wants to take her husband’s last name, accept the marriage document as a legal name change for the bride if the new name can be derived from the marriage document; even if the marriage document only shows each partner’s first names, the bride’s prior surname and husband’s surname. The marriage document alone can be accepted as evidence of identity for both the old and new names when it meets the criteria described in RM 00203.200G.2.

C. Procedure - Immigration Document as Evidence of Legal Name

When issuing immigration documents, the Department of State and DHS issue them in the person’s legal name. The legal name is also generally the name in which the foreign passport was issued.

When an alien applies for an SSN card, presume the name on the immigration document is the legal name unless the applicant presents evidence of a legal name change (e.g., marriage) that occurred after the immigration document was issued.

In cases where an alien applies for a replacement SSN card and submits an immigration document showing a name that is different from the name on the prior Numident record, accept the immigration document as evidence of the legal name. In these cases, the prior SSN card may have been issued in a name that was not the NH’s legal name.

Remember that immigration status must always be verified before an SSN card can be issued.

Filed: Other Timeline

You've got more than enough stuff.

But would it be better to wait until you actually have your green card? Shouldn't it be arriving shortly?

Changing stuff to your married name is a pain! I think I've taken care of all mine except my passport - ugh! That's gonna cost me like $67 so I'm saving that for later.

Edited by rebeccajo

Filed: Timeline
I don't think an employer is going to care if your card still has your maiden name. I've known American women who took ages to change their card over after they married, and nobody from the Social Security boggey-man department ever came to see them.

http://www.ssa.gov/employer/paperq&a.htm#ein

Q. What do I do if an employee has had a name change (e.g. marriage or divorce)?

A. Ask to see the employee's SSN card. If it shows the new name, then record it in your records and use it on any W-2 you prepare for the employee.

If the card shows the old name, tell the employee to report the name change to the local Social Security office and apply for an updated new card with that name on it. Continue using the old name on any new W-2s that are prepared until the employee shows you the updated card.

Filed: Other Timeline

I don't think an employer is going to care if your card still has your maiden name. I've known American women who took ages to change their card over after they married, and nobody from the Social Security boggey-man department ever came to see them.

http://www.ssa.gov/employer/paperq&a.htm#ein

Q. What do I do if an employee has had a name change (e.g. marriage or divorce)?

A. Ask to see the employee's SSN card. If it shows the new name, then record it in your records and use it on any W-2 you prepare for the employee.

If the card shows the old name, tell the employee to report the name change to the local Social Security office and apply for an updated new card with that name on it. Continue using the old name on any new W-2s that are prepared until the employee shows you the updated card.

So noted, md. I'm sure it NEEDS to be done - but you will notice I edited that out. I thought ladybutterfly did not have her AOS yet and was wondering aloud if she should not wait till she had it as well. I see now that she has been approved.

So, is it better to have the name changed in that interim period between EAD and AOS - or wait?

Edited by rebeccajo

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.