SBB

Just Lost my Job. Effect on I-864?

32 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Partial calculation is possible ?

for ex: in 1 year:

15K on regular job in first 8 months + 7K on unemployment in last 4 months = $22K annually

Can we calculate like this way?

I don't know a lot about the I-864. But if I'm asked what my current income is, I take my current rate of pay and multiply by either 52 weeks, 12 months, or 2080 hours (full time employment hours).

For unemployment, I believe they pay bi-weekly? In which case I would take the total unemployment check and multiply by 26. That would be current annual income on unemployment.

I don't know for sure that's what you are supposed to do, but that seems logical to me.

AOS

5/16/2012 - Package delivered to Chicago Lockbox at 1:33pm

5/21/2012 - Email/text notifications received at 4:50 p.m.

5/26/2012 - NOA hard copies received for I-130, I-485 and I-765

6/19/2012 - Biometrics completed.

7/02/2012 - Text/email/hard copy notification of interview.

7/30/2012 - EAD card production ordered.

8/02/2012 - Interview @ 2:00

8/02/2012 - Email notification of GC production at 5:30pm

8/07/2012 - Second GC production email

8/07/2012 - EAD received.

8/08/2012 - GC mailed.

8/09/2012 - Welcome letter and I-130 approval letter received.

8/10/2012 - Green card received. :)

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

I don't know a lot about the I-864. But if I'm asked what my current income is, I take my current rate of pay and multiply by either 52 weeks, 12 months, or 2080 hours (full time employment hours).

For unemployment, I believe they pay bi-weekly? In which case I would take the total unemployment check and multiply by 26. That would be current annual income on unemployment.

I don't know for sure that's what you are supposed to do, but that seems logical to me.

Was curious about if income on unemployment can be used to show one's annual income?(that you clarified already):

Am i correct in understanding... :bonk:

for ex:

so, income on unemployment for 6 months + your salary for 6 months = Annual income you can report to them?

Get Fit > Learn > Work Harder >> Earn your Happiness !

May GOD bless All !

2007 - Entered, Start work in USA on H1B

2010 - Met my now wife :-)

2012 - Got married -> I Do !

July, 2012 - Preparing AOS package

Timeline

Was curious about if income on unemployment can be used to show one's annual income?(that you clarified already):

Am i correct in understanding... :bonk:

for ex:

so, income on unemployment for 6 months + your salary for 6 months = Annual income you can report to them?

I believe so, but I'm not positive. You can use disability, SSI, etc, so I don't see why you couldn't use unemployment.

AOS

8/08/2012 - GC mailed.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

I believe so, but I'm not positive. You can use disability, SSI, etc, so I don't see why you couldn't use unemployment.

that makes perfect sense !!

Anybody out there who used unemployment as their annual income in this AOS process?

Please share.

Get Fit > Learn > Work Harder >> Earn your Happiness !

May GOD bless All !

2007 - Entered, Start work in USA on H1B

2010 - Met my now wife :-)

2012 - Got married -> I Do !

July, 2012 - Preparing AOS package

This isn't quite right.

SSI can never be used as a source of income for the I864. SSI (Supplemental Security Income) is a means tested benefit paid by the SS Administration to people who are "poor". These people are subject to an annual asset and income review to determine if they still qualify.

I think you are confused by the fact that SSDI (Social Security Disability Insurance) CAN be counted as income. SSDI is paid to people who are disabled and is not means tested by other income.

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

that makes perfect sense !!

Anybody out there who used unemployment as their annual income in this AOS process?

Please share.

You can use it as annual income, but if it's the only source of income at the time of adjudication, it probably won't fly.

There's anecdotal evidence aplenty at both the consulate stage and the adjustment stage that unemployment income counted during the qualifying year, in and of itself, won't void the affidavit. But those persons are either now in gainful employment or have other assets to compensate for the eventual loss of the unemployment income.

Yes, the I864 is supposed to be a picture of earning on the day it is submitted and yes the AO can accept that affidavit if they choose. It's more likely though that there WILL be a question on interview day as to whether the affidavit has materially changed since it was filed. If the answer is yes to a negative income flow, the AO has the right to ask for another sponsor to step forward.

*edited for typo*

Edited by Rebecca Jo

Timeline

This isn't quite right.

SSI can never be used as a source of income for the I864. SSI (Supplemental Security Income) is a means tested benefit paid by the SS Administration to people who are "poor". These people are subject to an annual asset and income review to determine if they still qualify.

I think you are confused by the fact that SSDI (Social Security Disability Insurance) CAN be counted as income. SSDI is paid to people who are disabled and is not means tested by other income.

I was actually thinking of straight social security, but forgot the correct abbreviation for it. I thought I had seen people say before that their cosponsors received social security.

AOS

8/08/2012 - GC mailed.

Update

I went to my interview and got approve. The IO did ask hubby about his job and we told him he lost his job after we we submitted the package. It wasn't a problem at all.

Goodluck to everyone in the same situation. I think they are most concerned about the most recent tax return. If you meet the income requirement on that then you're good to go.

FYI, I didn't send in tax return for 3 yrs, just the most recent..

AOS from F-1(Married to USC
06.08.12 - AOS mailed
09.18.12 - Interview.....Approved!!

ROC- Divorce Waiver
05/09/14- I-751 packet mailed to CSC
05/12/14- NOA1 Receipt date
07/01/14- Biometrics Appt

08/11/14- RFE received

09/08/14- RFE response received by USCIS

09/22/14- 10yrs GC Approved!!

Update

I went to my interview and got approve. The IO did ask hubby about his job and we told him he lost his job after we we submitted the package. It wasn't a problem at all.

Goodluck to everyone in the same situation. I think they are most concerned about the most recent tax return. If you meet the income requirement on that then you're good to go.

FYI, I didn't send in tax return for 3 yrs, just the most recent..

Most excellent!

Thanks for the post letting us know what happened!

PS - The most recent tax return is all one ever needs for the I864 if the adjustment is family based. UNLESS the sponsor is self employed.

Edited by Rebecca Jo

My husband lost his job about 2 weeks after I sent in my packet. I didn't get any RFE. I got my EAD yesterday and my interview is in less than a month. My husband has been getting umemployment and I think USCIS would know that when doing background check. He is currently looking for jobs and we don't have a co sponsor for the interview. Who knows, they might not even ask about it. Fingers crossed:). I wouldn't worry too much about it though. Just wait and see what happens

Goodluck

I noticed this earlier post of yours and want to comment on your assumption that USCIS is going to "know" about your husband's unemployment from a "background check".

Any background checks performed on the spouse of an intending immigrant aren't going to uncover employment status. Only criminal background and child support issues are looked at. I'm glad your case got approved, but believe me no one investigated your husband's employment status prior to your interview.

I noticed this earlier post of yours and want to comment on your assumption that USCIS is going to "know" about your husband's unemployment from a "background check".

Any background checks performed on the spouse of an intending immigrant aren't going to uncover employment status. Only criminal background and child support issues are looked at. I'm glad your case got approved, but believe me no one investigated your husband's employment status prior to your interview.

Yeah. I realized that at the interview because the IO had no idea he lost his job. I was thinking since he claimed unemployment they would know? When my husband lost his job, he was looking into applying for foodstamps and on the application form it says that "all applicants status is verified by USCIS" so he ended up not applying.

So yeah I assumed because of the unemployment claim. Thanks for clearing that up for me..:)

AOS from F-1(Married to USC
06.08.12 - AOS mailed
09.18.12 - Interview.....Approved!!

ROC- Divorce Waiver
05/09/14- I-751 packet mailed to CSC
05/12/14- NOA1 Receipt date
07/01/14- Biometrics Appt

08/11/14- RFE received

09/08/14- RFE response received by USCIS

09/22/14- 10yrs GC Approved!!

Filed: H-1B Visa Country: India
Timeline

Most excellent!

Thanks for the post letting us know what happened!

PS - The most recent tax return is all one ever needs for the I864 if the adjustment is family based. UNLESS the sponsor is self employed.

What if income shown in recent tax return doesn't qualify to sponsor but income in the current year qualifies?

Which one will be considered? :unsure:

AOS (from H1-B) Timeline:

Day1 -- 09/23/2012 - 130, 485, 765 AOS package delivered to Chicago Lockbox

Day4 -- 09/26/2012 - Emails/texts acceptance confirmation in evening :-)

Day5 -- 09/27/2012 - Checks Cached

Day12-- 10/01/2012 - Received hard copies of NOAs for I-130, I-485 and I-765

Day16-- 10/12/2012 - Received Biometrics Appointment(appointment for 10/24/2012)

Day16 - 10/12/2012 - Biometrics Walk In - Refused

Day20 - 10/16/2012 - Biometrics Walk In - Successful :)

Day33 - 10/29/2012 - EAD card Production Ordered-Pleasant surprise :)

Day37 - 11/02/2012 - EAD Card received - WoW !

Day40 - 11/05/2012 - Interview letter for Dec 4 date - The BIG Day !

Day70 - 12/04/2012 - Interview done. Pray to GOD!

Day95 - 12/28/2012 - Letter for 2nd Interview in Feb

What if income shown in recent tax return doesn't qualify to sponsor but income in the current year qualifies?

Which one will be considered? :unsure:

Which one what? Which tax return?

If you don't have a tax return that proves the threshold, they can't make you "come up" with one.........

They will use income you can prove by other means, such as recent pay stubs.

Filed: H-1B Visa Country: India
Timeline

Which one what? Which tax return?

If you don't have a tax return that proves the threshold, they can't make you "come up" with one.........

They will use income you can prove by other means, such as recent pay stubs.

I was asking which will get priority:

income by 2011 tax returns or by latest pay stubs?

As you said, i think they'll go by recent pay stubs...

AOS (from H1-B) Timeline:

Day1 -- 09/23/2012 - 130, 485, 765 AOS package delivered to Chicago Lockbox

Day4 -- 09/26/2012 - Emails/texts acceptance confirmation in evening :-)

Day5 -- 09/27/2012 - Checks Cached

Day12-- 10/01/2012 - Received hard copies of NOAs for I-130, I-485 and I-765

Day16-- 10/12/2012 - Received Biometrics Appointment(appointment for 10/24/2012)

Day16 - 10/12/2012 - Biometrics Walk In - Refused

Day20 - 10/16/2012 - Biometrics Walk In - Successful :)

Day33 - 10/29/2012 - EAD card Production Ordered-Pleasant surprise :)

Day37 - 11/02/2012 - EAD Card received - WoW !

Day40 - 11/05/2012 - Interview letter for Dec 4 date - The BIG Day !

Day70 - 12/04/2012 - Interview done. Pray to GOD!

Day95 - 12/28/2012 - Letter for 2nd Interview in Feb

I was asking which will get priority:

income by 2011 tax returns or by latest pay stubs?

As you said, i think they'll go by recent pay stubs...

They will, as long as the evidence is strong :thumbs:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.