BB Family

Name on Passport Different from Name on Green Card

11 posts in this topic

I have made calls and emailed over 20 people to figure out how to fix the situation i am currently in. And each answer i do get is diffferent or contradicts the others. Any way, when i was 15 i got a Philippine Passport (green one). Shortly after i was adopted and brought to america. But the adoption paperwork wasnt finalized for almost 2 years. So i wasnt allowed to apply for citizenship because i was to old by the time the adoption was official. Long story short years later i met a great man whom decided to ask me to marry him. The only identification i had was about to expire which was my passport. So we applied for a new one. We were able to get married but only under my birth name since i had no documentation (ID) with my adopted name. About 2 months after we were married my new passport arrived, but it was in my adopted name. So for example. I was born Sarah Jane Brown, I was adopted and name changed to Sarah Jessica Black, and then i got married and my name now is Sarah Jane White. So now i have a green card, drivers license, marriage certificate, etc as Sarah Jane White, but my philippine passport is under the name Sarah Jessica Black. (All these names are examples...not literal). So please tell me what i can do to fix this. Its my understanding that all i would have to do is submit somekind of paper work to change my passport to my married name, but the issue lies in getting my middle name changed also as i kept my birth middle name. Someone please give me advice and guidance on how i can fix this. Some of the answers i have gotten suggest changing all my id's and marriage certificats and all that to match my passport, others say all i need is a affidavit of one and the same, and so forth. Please help us figure this out.

K1 Process 192 Days (From Mailing to POE)

Spoiler

08-17-2018 Mailed I-129F to Dallas, TX

08-20-2018 Delivered to Dallas, TX

08-23-2018 USCIS Text and email with Receipt #

08-27-2018 Received NOA1 Hard Copy

11-21-2018 CFO Interview- Passed. Received certificate and Receipt.

01-11-2019 Approved I129F. Received Text and Email. 

01-14-2019 NOA2 Hard Copy received- Stated Received date as 20Aug18, and NOA2 date as 10Jan19. DS-160 Submitted

01-25-2019 NVC Case Number by phone.

01-28-2019 Paid Visa Fee at BPI

01-29-2019 Scheduled Interview

02-05-2019 Case "In Transit" from NVC to USEM Philippines

02-07-2019 “Case Ready” at NVC 

02-08-2019 Received NVC Letter email

02-12-2019 Completed Medical

02-14-2019 Interview Passed

02-15-2019 Case Immigrant "Administrative Processing"

02-25-2019 Case “Nonimmigrant Administrative Processing”

02-27-2019 Visa Issued

03-04-2019 Visa On Hand

03-06-2019 CFO Sticker received

03-07-2019 POE Atlanta 

AOS Process

Spoiler

05-03-2019 Mailed AOS/EAD/AP

05-07-2019 Packet arrived to USCIS

05-28-2019 AOS Fee Charged to Card

05-29-2019 NOA Date

06-03-2019 Received NOA Receipts

06-07-2019 Biometrics Letter

06-17-2019 Biometrics appointment

08-07-2019 Ready to schedule interview

08-27-2019 Interview Scheduled

09-03-2019 Interview letter received.

09-18-2019 EAD Card in production 

09-19-2019 AP Approved

09-23-2019 EAD Card mailed

09-30-2019 EAD Card received 

10-04-2019 Interview passed/Card in production

Filed: Timeline

Do you plan on travelling to the Philippines? Go to the Philippines consulate for your region, and do a report of marriage. Then you will have to amend your passport. Hopefully, they will put the passport in your married name, if you followed the Filipino convention for married names. Otherwise, you may need an affidavit of one and the same person from the consulate. As far as getting back into the US, all you need is your green card, and all you need to enter the Philippines is your passport. Where you might get into trouble will be with the airlines on your return flight if all your documentation doesn't match. Depends on the airline, and how cooperative they are. PAL, uncooperative. The rest YMMV.

Edited by The Patriot

I have made calls and emailed over 20 people to figure out how to fix the situation i am currently in. And each answer i do get is diffferent or contradicts the others. Any way, when i was 15 i got a Philippine Passport (green one). Shortly after i was adopted and brought to america. But the adoption paperwork wasnt finalized for almost 2 years. So i wasnt allowed to apply for citizenship because i was to old by the time the adoption was official. Long story short years later i met a great man whom decided to ask me to marry him. The only identification i had was about to expire which was my passport. So we applied for a new one. We were able to get married but only under my birth name since i had no documentation (ID) with my adopted name. About 2 months after we were married my new passport arrived, but it was in my adopted name. So for example. I was born Sarah Jane Brown, I was adopted and name changed to Sarah Jessica Black, and then i got married and my name now is Sarah Jane White. So now i have a green card, drivers license, marriage certificate, etc as Sarah Jane White, but my philippine passport is under the name Sarah Jessica Black. (All these names are examples...not literal). So please tell me what i can do to fix this. Its my understanding that all i would have to do is submit somekind of paper work to change my passport to my married name, but the issue lies in getting my middle name changed also as i kept my birth middle name. Someone please give me advice and guidance on how i can fix this. Some of the answers i have gotten suggest changing all my id's and marriage certificats and all that to match my passport, others say all i need is a affidavit of one and the same, and so forth. Please help us figure this out.

all you have to do is submit a "Report of Marriage" to your nearest philippine consulate along with the application to ammend your passport. Once u reported your marriage then u can ammend your passport and they will chance your passport name into whatver you want in your passport to appear.Call and read about report of marriage it is not that hard..i did that.

So by submitting a Report of Marriage i can change my middle name and last name on my passport? What do i need to send with it to support that i am the same person on my passport as i am in my marriage certificate?

Spoiler

01-14-2019 NOA2 Hard Copy received- Stated Received date as 20Aug18, and NOA2 date as 10Jan19. DS-160 Submitted

02-27-2019 Visa Issued

03-04-2019 Visa On Hand

03-07-2019 POE Atlanta 

AOS Process

Spoiler

05-29-2019 NOA Date

09-19-2019 AP Approved

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

So by submitting a Report of Marriage i can change my middle name and last name on my passport? What do i need to send with it to support that i am the same person on my passport as i am in my marriage certificate?

That is about it, but I believe you have to do the passport change in person, not by mail. You can do the report of marriage by mail. Check the Philippine consulate website for details.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

For Colorado, San Francisco is the consulate you have to deal with. They may do an outreach to your area.

http://www.philippinessanfrancisco.org/

We did our report of marriage and renewed our passport there. They were very specific about how your name should appear on the passport: First name as shown on your birth certificate, father's surname as your middle name, and husband's surname as your last name.

My wife changed her first name from the abbreviated spelling on her birth certificate to the more Americanized version on her green card. They wouldn't change it on her passport, so we had to get the affidavit of one and the same.

Here are the consular services at San Francisco for more information:

http://www.philippinessanfrancisco.org/philippines-sf/consular-services-sf/

ETA: We never went back to the Philippines, or traveled outside the US, so the whole exercise was meaningless. So, if you can wait until you become a USC to travel, I wouldn't bother with any of it.

Edited by The Patriot

Does it have to be the jurisdiction of the state that we were married in (Colorado) or the state that we currently live in (South Carolina). The reason I'm trying to do this now is because we are going on a cruise for our anniversary and we need our passports. I don't want any issues to arise with the passport and green card having two completely different names on them.

Spoiler

02-27-2019 Visa Issued

03-04-2019 Visa On Hand

03-07-2019 POE Atlanta 

AOS Process

Spoiler

05-29-2019 NOA Date

09-19-2019 AP Approved

Does it have to be the jurisdiction of the state that we were married in (Colorado) or the state that we currently live in (South Carolina). The reason I'm trying to do this now is because we are going on a cruise for our anniversary and we need our passports. I don't want any issues to arise with the passport and green card having two completely different names on them.

Where you currently live. Looks like the Embassy in Washington D.C covers your area, but there is also a consulate in Atlanta, GA that might be closer:

http://philippinesatlanta.org/philippines-atlanta/home-atlanta/

http://www.philippinesusa.info/

ETA: Atlanta is by appointment only.

Edited by The Patriot

it should be where u currently live. You can make a phone call coz i did mine in the mail and had my personal appearance when they had the outreach here in Atlanta. You need to do it now if you have plans to travel.

• 6 years later...

I have a question with regards to my name on my green card and my newly updated passport. So, my maiden name for example is LOVE HOPE REYES GONZALEZ. I got married and applied for adjustment of status with the name LOVE HOPE REYES SMITH (HUSBAND'S LAST NAME). But if I were to follow the philippine constitution, it should have been LOVE HOPE GONZALEZ SMITH. But since I trusted my lawyer, I didn't mind. Now, I renewed my PH passport and filled up the forms with the name LOVE HOPE REYES SMITH since I want it to be the same with what's on the green card, but the lady working in the embassy refused and said I should follow the philippine constitution and use LOVE HOPE GONZALEZ SMITH. So now, my passport and green card doesn't have the same middle name. What should I do? Will this affect me in the long run? Can I still travel outside USA without getting in trouble with the immigration? Please answer me 😭😭😭

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Kick your lawyer in the azz.  ;)   :lol:    .. though you should have known this, it is common knowledge in the Philippines.

No easy answer how to address this as your passport isn't in your maiden name or married name (U.S. style ;) )      With those having a passport in their maiden and green card in their married name I always suggest to carry a copy of you marriage certificate  ... but in your situation not sure that would help at all.      Sorry ..

For later - when you complete citizenship you can change your name to match your "Philippine married name" if you so choose.     For now you could change your green to correct your name, believe USCIS charges $600.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.