PJB

misspelled name on passport

3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

My husband has a ten year greencard but his home country passport is due to expire this month. While on a visit to his country last January he got a new passport. He picked it up the day before flying home and found they had completely misspelled his name in English!!! He came back to the USA on the old passport but he's been here 3 years now and we want to apply for his American citizenship. Can he apply using the old expired passport? Or do we need to use the new passport with a name that no longer matches his green card (at least the photos match)?

Feb 11, 2005 ZAGS wedding in Moscow

Aug 7,2005 married in the Cathedral in Dmitrov

June 27, 2008 mail I-130

July 11,2008 sent I-129F

Oct 2, 2008 Yuri received packets 3+4 from US Embassy Moscow

Nov 20, 2008 Interview....VISA APPROVED!!!!!!

Dec 10, 2008 Yuri arrived! No problems :)

April 20, 2009 mailed AOS

May 4, 2009 medical exam

May 21, 2009 biometrics done

June 5, 2009 received EAD by mail

Aug 10, 2009 interview-given greencard congradulations letter with stamp

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

My husband has a ten year greencard but his home country passport is due to expire this month. While on a visit to his country last January he got a new passport. He picked it up the day before flying home and found they had completely misspelled his name in English!!! He came back to the USA on the old passport but he's been here 3 years now and we want to apply for his American citizenship. Can he apply using the old expired passport? Or do we need to use the new passport with a name that no longer matches his green card (at least the photos match)?

You don't really need your "home" passport except to confirm the travel info filled in the N400, the new one doesn't have any stamps on it anyway, so its really of no use to the adjudicator.

I got a yellow paper indicating I had to bring my old and new passport to the interview, in the interview it wasn't even requested.

Take the passport that will have the supporting stamps/info to back up the trips that you will list in the N400. It doesn't matter it is expired since they only need it to check you haven't been out of the country for over 6 months in one year.

Good Luck!!

USCIS:

06/06/2012: Sent I-130 to VSC (as LPR)

06/08/2012: NOA1 (Priority Date)

06/12/2012: Touched

08/20/2012: Mailed VSC request for Upgrade to CR1

08/23/2012: Opened Request with USCIS for Upgrade to CR1

08/27/2012: Got Email confirming upgrade to IR1/CR1

11/13/2012: NOA2

NVC:

11/16/2012: NVC Received (NVC # not ready)

11/19/2012: BOG number/IIN - Gave emails

11/19/2012: Choice of Agent email sent

11/20/2012: AOS bill invoiced

11/20/2012: AOS bill paid shows in process

11/21/2012: AOS package sent

11/21/2012: AOS bill shows PAID

11/21/2012: Choice of Agent email sent (again)

11/21/2012: Choice of Agent email accepted

11/23/2012: IV bill invoiced

11/23/2012: IV bill paid

11/26/2012: IV package sent

11/26/2012: IV bill shows PAID

12/07/2012: AOS accepted

12/10/2012: IV Accepted

12/10/2012: Case complete

12/13/2012: Interview scheduled

US Embassy Bogota:

01/25/2013: Lab Visit

01/28/2013: Medical

01/30/2013: Interview

02/05/2013: Email Waybill (5PM)

02/06/2013: Visa in hand

02/08/2013: POE JFK, NY

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Here I though state employees of Colombia, Venezuela, and the State of Illinois don't know how to type, guess we can add Russia to that list. But Illinois only charged me the 8 buck fee, but still took them three months to correct it for my birth certificate. Those Latin American countries charged us a fortune to correct their errors. But wife wasn't careful in checking them word for word.

Same thing with the USCIS, make darn sure your certificate of citizenship is correct before leaving, or will cost you 400 bucks and at least a six month wait if you just walk out the door.

Showing your foreign passports for accuracy in your claimed trips is the reason why you need to bring in your foreign passports. Was kind of a joke in my wife's case, her IO just took a glance at them. Very sloppy, stamps all over the place, I spent hours using a 10X stereo microscope as many stamps were on top of other to make heads or tails to be absolutely sure our dates were correct. No way can that be done with a glance.

No law that states you have to maintain your foreign passport, if yours was expired days after you came here, just report that you didn't make any trips. But still have to be very honest in your reported trips. If not accurate, can be a reason for deportation.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.