readytoleave

How Can I change my name, my child's name on N-400 and N-600 & on child's us birth certificate!!

6 posts in this topic

I am removing 2 years condition and waiting for 10 years green card and i will have a chance to apply us citizen, my earliest to apply is this November 2012.

I have question about changing my name and last name on N-400.

1. I am still married but can i just use new last name that i pick? not husband's last name. (becuz i plan to divorce in the future)

or i might use his last name?

2. I have 5 years old son that i bring from my country (he's already got 10 years green card) in the form N-600 that i have to apply for him.

I'd would like him to have the new same last name as me.

how can i change it? Can i just put the new last name for him on form N-600??

3. I also have another son with this marriage he's 2 years old. and was born here in US and on his us birth certificate it showed my old name and

last name. After I become a us citizen. Can i update new name on my son's birth certificate? I'm worried that in the future if we need to do

passport for him or when he needs to attend to school there will be confusion about mother's name on naturalization form doesnt match with

his birth certificate. or even go travel outside us with him and they will think i will kidnap child becuz mother's name on his

birth certificate is not the same name on my passport. What can i do?

4. How about marriage certificate??? Do i have to change my new name on my marriage certificate too????

Thank you

Edited by readytoleave

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

1. When you will file N-400, you can write any names you want, you can change ALL your names.

2. For older son you have to go to the family court for changing his name. To fill out his N-600 you have to prove his current legal name, you can not change it without court order.

3. If your younger son is also son of your husband, you will have to share with him all question about the boy. Again, name can be changed in the court, but will father agree with it?

As for other questions, I am not sure if you need to replace certificates, I am looking for answers too because I will change my name but don't know if I have to change my certificate of marriage and my three kids' birth certificates. Looks like I will prefer to make a copies of my naturalization certificate and attach to other papers.

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

As part of the naturalization process you can change your name and that of the older child, provided you are the sole custodian of the child.

For the child born in the US you can request a name change - file a petition in court - and provided you are the sole custodian of the child you can do it alone.

Once your name is changed, you can request that all other documents - DL, SS, etc - be changed as well.

Provided you don't need authorization from the children's father, it is a fairly simple process.

Edited by Gegel

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

You're filing ROC as married, yet your plan on divorcing after your get your 10 year gc, isn't this a fraudulent act in itself?!

Also if you plan on getting a passport for your youngest child you are going to need permission from the Daddy and may be from the court if you get divorced.

Name change of your youngest you will also have to ask permission off the Daddy, this cannot just be done without his permission.

Once you have permission however, things should be quite simple and straight forward.

I am removing 2 years condition and waiting for 10 years green card and i will have a chance to apply us citizen, my earliest to apply is this November 2012.

I have question about changing my name and last name on N-400.

1. I am still married but can i just use new last name that i pick? not husband's last name. (becuz i plan to divorce in the future)

or i might use his last name?

2. I have 5 years old son that i bring from my country (he's already got 10 years green card) in the form N-600 that i have to apply for him.

I'd would like him to have the new same last name as me.

how can i change it? Can i just put the new last name for him on form N-600??

3. I also have another son with this marriage he's 2 years old. and was born here in US and on his us birth certificate it showed my old name and

last name. After I become a us citizen. Can i update new name on my son's birth certificate? I'm worried that in the future if we need to do

passport for him or when he needs to attend to school there will be confusion about mother's name on naturalization form doesnt match with

his birth certificate. or even go travel outside us with him and they will think i will kidnap child becuz mother's name on his

birth certificate is not the same name on my passport. What can i do?

4. How about marriage certificate??? Do i have to change my new name on my marriage certificate too????

Thank you

Thank you for the answer.

I think i just have to change my oldest son's name with court.

Gegal, I wanted to update MY NEW NAME on my youngest son's u.s. birth certificate. Not my son's name. update just mother's name. Sorry about my english if it's confused you.

BethandBilly, This is not fraud marriage. Ive been with my husband for 4 years have a child together, but we've just been fighting all the times, it's just bad for my healthy and the kids. So I just want to wait to become a us citizen then divorce just want to have the right to stay here.

The waiting for 10 year green card and then divorcing is wrong, you should divorce before hand, it won't hurt your case at all.

Thank you for the answer.

I think i just have to change my oldest son's name with court.

Gegal, I wanted to update MY NEW NAME on my youngest son's u.s. birth certificate. Not my son's name. update just mother's name. Sorry about my english if it's confused you.

BethandBilly, This is not fraud marriage. Ive been with my husband for 4 years have a child together, but we've just been fighting all the times, it's just bad for my healthy and the kids. So I just want to wait to become a us citizen then divorce just want to have the right to stay here.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.