David_41

I-864 affidavit of support question

5 posts in this topic

Hi all,

My wife is filling out the forms to sponsor me to become a permanant resident. She got a job in Apr, 2012 and her current income for one month is about $2,400 which meets the requirement of the poverty guideline if counted as annual income. However, She didn't work from Aug, 2008 til Apr, 2012 due to . taking care of her son, his income for 2009 to 2012 were $0.00. He also joined the National Guard in Sep, 2011;

So.. my question is that should he have a joint sponsor to help him sponsor me?

Thank you in advice.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: France
Timeline

Your situation is similar to mine. My wife started working full time (well above poverty line) in March 2012. Before that she did work but only part time and did not make enough.

When I filed my petition she was my only sponsor and she filled out the I-864. She submitted her taxes from last year but since it showed that she did not make enough, we also submitted a letter from her employer stating her current salary. It didn't work for us. I got an RFE stating that she did not make enough (she did, we just didn't do a good job of proving it). I ended up getting a co-sponsor and it was fine from there.

So you might be able to show enough evidence that she makes enough now, but if you find a co-sponsor it will save you the headache.

4/25/2009 : Began dating!

12/11/2011: I proposed, she said yes!

4/1/2012 : Married!

Adjustment of Status

5/1/2012 : I-130, I-485, I-765 mailed to Chicago
5/8/2012 : SMS/Email notification
5/10/2012: Received I-797's
5/17/2012: Received Biometrics Appointment Notice
5/23/2012: RFE (I-864)
6/4/2012 : RFE Response mailed
6/7/2012 : Biometrics Appointment
7/7/2012 : Received EAD
7/13/2012: Received Interview Appointment Notice
8/14/2012: Interview - Approved!!! I'm a permanent resident!!
8/20/2012: Received I-485, I-130 acceptance notice
8/22/2012: Received Permanent Resident card!

Removal of Conditions
7/15/2014 : Sent I-751, mailed to Vermont Service Center

7/21/2014 : Received I-797 NOA

8/11/2014 : Received biometrics appointment notice (dated 8/2/14, appointment on 8/22/14)

8/12/2014 : Walk-in Biometrics at Tampa, FL office; successful

Citizenship

8/30/2015 : Sent N400, mailed to Dallas Lockbox

: Package delivered

: Received I-797 NOA

: Received biometrics appointment notice (dated ... , appointment on 9/22/2015)

9/18/2015 : Walk-in Biometrics at Tampa, FL office: UNSUCCESSFUL

9/22/2015 : Biometrics Appointment

1/09/2016 : N400 Interview Appointment!

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Sounds alot like us! I worked FT as a LPN and went to school PT for a couple of years until last year, when I dropped to PT work and FT school. Graduated early Dec 2011 as RN, and started my new job late Dec 2011, so current income not reflected on last year's taxes. We just filed his AOS this month, so I have just over 8 months of check stubs showing I make well over the "limit", even for our family of 6. Got a letter from my employer, have check stubs, etc. We're guessing that by the time the interview rolls around we will probably have already filed this year's return, so are planning on taking that to the interview. Hopefully it will be enough because I'm not sure if I'll be able to find co-sponsor.... Guess no good deed (bettering yourself through education) goes unpunished! Hopeful anyways! :blush:

Met online March 2011

Met in Egypt July 2011

2nd visit to Egypt September 2011

3rd visit to Egypt December 2011

``````````````````````````````````

Entered F-1 visa December 2011

Started classes January 2012

Married in USA April 2012

July 2012 - we're pregnant!!

Our family is set to grow by 1 girl on 02/20/13

``````````````````````````````````

AOS (I-130/I-485/I-765) sent via FedEx 08/16/12

Package delivered with signature 08/17/12

USCIS acceptance email & text NOA1 08/21/12

RFE on I-485 09/01/12

Biometrics completed 09/13/12

Paper interview notice received 10/09/12 - Interview date 11/08/12

EAD card production on USCIS website 10/19/12

EAD in hand 10/27/12

Interview 11/08/12 - Approved!!

Green Card in hand 11/19/12

Removal of conditions 11/2014

The road to success is full of flat squirrels who couldn't make up their minds.

Sounds alot like us! I worked FT as a LPN and went to school PT for a couple of years until last year, when I dropped to PT work and FT school. Graduated early Dec 2011 as RN, and started my new job late Dec 2011, so current income not reflected on last year's taxes. We just filed his AOS this month, so I have just over 8 months of check stubs showing I make well over the "limit", even for our family of 6. Got a letter from my employer, have check stubs, etc. We're guessing that by the time the interview rolls around we will probably have already filed this year's return, so are planning on taking that to the interview. Hopefully it will be enough because I'm not sure if I'll be able to find co-sponsor.... Guess no good deed (bettering yourself through education) goes unpunished! Hopeful anyways! :blush:

let's hope everything will be processed smoothly and no RFE :)

by the way i'm August filer too . Best of Luck :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.