Ulmus

Abandoned GC and now re-applying

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Sweden
Timeline

Hi,

my situation is as follows: My wife and I were married in July 2001 in Sweden, we applied for a CR-1 through the consulate in Stockholm, got it in 45 days and moved to the US in September of 2001. We decided in 2004 to move to Sweden for various reasons and did so by the end of 2004. We have been married for 11 years and have 3 kids together, one of them born stateside the others USC's through "Birth abroad".

When we left the US we didn't know that I should/needed to physically abandon my card or fill out some form so I still possess my GC.

We have now decided that we want to move back and have already filed the I-130. On the I-130 we stated my SSN and my alien number so we have been up front with everything.

Should I have abandoned my GC through some form or by turning it in at some point before the I-130? Will this cause delay's or worse denial of a new GC?

I have also traveled to the US several times since leaving to visit family and when doing so I entered on the VWP. Would this be a problem?

[uSCIS Stage] (29 days)

07/18/12 - I-130 package sent.

07/23/12 - package received.

07/25/12 - NOA1 received via email.

08/06/12 - NOA1 via snail mail.

08/21/12 - APPROVED - NOA2 received via email.

[NVC Stage] (86 days)

08/27/12 - Case has arrived at NVC.

09/05/12 - Case number received, emailed DS3032.

09/17/12 - AOS bill received via email and paid via portal.

09/18/12 - DS3032 was rejected (made a stupid mistake), emailed DS3032 again.

09/20/12 - AOS bill appears as PAID.

09/28/12 - AOS package received by NVC.

10/08/12 - DS3032 accepted.

10/09/12 - RFE for clarification on sponsors income and about re-establishing residence.

10/18/12 - IV bill received and paid via portal.

10/19/12 - IV bill appears as PAID.

11/07/12 - IV package received by NVC.

11/15/12 - RFE response received by NVC (stayed in customs for 14 days).

11/30/12 - CASE COMPLETE.

12/12/12 - Interview Date Assigned.

12/13/12 - Medical.

01/07/13 - Interview Date - APPROVED.

01/09/13 - Return to the embassy to sign IV Part 2, got visa envelope.

02/05/13 - POE - Charlotte, NC.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Cameroon
Timeline

Hi,

my situation is as follows: My wife and I were married in July 2001 in Sweden, we applied for a CR-1 through the consulate in Stockholm, got it in 45 days and moved to the US in September of 2001. We decided in 2004 to move to Sweden for various reasons and did so by the end of 2004. We have been married for 11 years and have 3 kids together, one of them born stateside the others USC's through "Birth abroad".

When we left the US we didn't know that I should/needed to physically abandon my card or fill out some form so I still possess my GC.

We have now decided that we want to move back and have already filed the I-130. On the I-130 we stated my SSN and my alien number so we have been up front with everything.

Should I have abandoned my GC through some form or by turning it in at some point before the I-130? Will this cause delay's or worse denial of a new GC?

I have also traveled to the US several times since leaving to visit family and when doing so I entered on the VWP. Would this be a problem?

hi i think there should be a possibility to apply as a returning permanent resident to the states. call the embassy in stockholm for assistance. hope this help

Filed: Country: Sweden
Timeline

hi i think there should be a possibility to apply as a returning permanent resident to the states. call the embassy in stockholm for assistance. hope this help

Thank you for you answer.

To clarify, I did abandon the GC by intentionally moving to Sweden and at the time we had no plans on ever returning. The "Returning Permanent Resident" only applies to people who couldn't return due to circumstances beyond their control, doesn't it? This would not be me. :(

[uSCIS Stage] (29 days)

07/18/12 - I-130 package sent.

07/23/12 - package received.

07/25/12 - NOA1 received via email.

08/06/12 - NOA1 via snail mail.

08/21/12 - APPROVED - NOA2 received via email.

[NVC Stage] (86 days)

08/27/12 - Case has arrived at NVC.

09/05/12 - Case number received, emailed DS3032.

09/17/12 - AOS bill received via email and paid via portal.

09/18/12 - DS3032 was rejected (made a stupid mistake), emailed DS3032 again.

09/20/12 - AOS bill appears as PAID.

09/28/12 - AOS package received by NVC.

10/08/12 - DS3032 accepted.

10/09/12 - RFE for clarification on sponsors income and about re-establishing residence.

10/18/12 - IV bill received and paid via portal.

10/19/12 - IV bill appears as PAID.

11/07/12 - IV package received by NVC.

11/15/12 - RFE response received by NVC (stayed in customs for 14 days).

11/30/12 - CASE COMPLETE.

12/12/12 - Interview Date Assigned.

12/13/12 - Medical.

01/07/13 - Interview Date - APPROVED.

01/09/13 - Return to the embassy to sign IV Part 2, got visa envelope.

02/05/13 - POE - Charlotte, NC.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.