aaron-christine

Did any of you start applying for jobs before EAD?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline

Hi VJ.

I am currently waiting for my EAD and started looking into different jobs. I can't wait to start working again! I was just wondering if any of you had any success with applying for jobs before recieving your EAD. Obviously, I wouldnt actually start working before I have the EAD, however, usually the application process to get hired can take several weeks/months, so I thought it might be good to start now?

I have noticed that several job postings will ask if you are authorized to work? Any smart way to get around answering either yes or no?

Thanks guys!

HI!

I started job searching the week I sent in my AOS!

Good thing I started early.. not too much luck so far. 3 to 6 months is what it takes, on average, to land a job.

Believe it or not I did not see many of the yes/no questions. I don't know if mine was a 'smart' way to answer them, but I would put date of availability starting when I thought I would HAVE EAD and then answer yes.. and of course explain that application is pending if I had the option... and I LOVED the "do you require sponsorship" questions because that's an EASY 'no!" Some applications have even stated "can you show proof of work authorization upon being hired" those are great too :)

Also I didn't bother applying to jobs that needed to be "filled immediately"

Where are you and in what field?

Edited by ibee

March 2012 - Married <3

AOS Concurrent I-130, I-485, EAD
Day 0.....4/03/12 - Package mailed to Chicago via USPS Priority Mail
4/06/12 - Delivered!
Day 7.....4/10/12 - Email Acceptance Confirmation for all 3!
Day 13...4/16/12 - NOAs for I-130, I-485, EAD received in mail.
Day 16...4/19/12 - NOA for Biometrics appointment Received. Scheduled for 4/27/12.
Day 20...4/23/12 - Biometrics appointment completed, early walk-in at different location!
Day 66...6/07/12 - EAD Production!!! Lucky, 2 days before this we submitted a change of address from ND to PA
Day 70...6/11/12 - 2nd EAD Production 6/12/12 - EAD mailed! Interview scheduled for July 13th!

Day 73...6/14/12 - EAD in hand!
Day 82...6/23/12 - We mailed letter to old Office to confirm change of address and cancel our July 13th interview. Received NOA for an Interview scheduled in Philadelphia Office on July 24th!
Day 92...7/03/12 - July 24th interview was cancelled (file did not get in on time). Got NOA for interview on August 9th!
Day129..8/09/12 - INTERVIEW! Received card production email 8hrs later!
8/10/12 - Email NOAs, approved I-130 and I-485!
Day138..8/18/12 - GC DELIVERED!!! Emails received: 2nd card production email on 8/15, card mailed on 8/15, card picked up by USPS on 8/15.

12/13/12 - Filed for divorce 8/2/13 Entered Divorce Decree

ROC

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Hep, glad to see you're getting somwhere! Go ahead and apply, perfectly legal to apply and go to job interviews. Sou just can't start working until your EAD/i-765 is approved. Some jobs aren't possible applying for online because you can't click "legally able to work". Have the future employee use E-verify if you go to a job interview and your EAD is approved but you still don't have it in hand.

Some companies run background checks on you but since you just got here, your history is limited. I offered to give them a copy of my Danish/intl. police record.

Good luck.

K1 process, October 2010 > POE, July 2011

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until POE: 285 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

AOS process, December 2011 > July 2012

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until greencard in hand: 655 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline

Thanks for your inputs!

I actually did what ibee suggested. I said yes but wrote that my availability date wouldnt be until the end of September. I really dislike misleading anyone, however, if I answer no, they probably won't even consider my application.

I am currently writing my thesis to finish my masters in international business communication and English business linguistics. Most of my previous work experience is within the field of health insurance/travel insurance though. I am pretty open to most jobs, however, I hope I'll be getting paid for all my time in school ;) We are in the orange county area CA. It seems that there are plenty of jobs, but I'm sure there are PLENTY of applicants as well lol ;)

Edited by aaron-christine

Thanks for your inputs!

I actually did what ibee suggested. I said yes but wrote that my availability date wouldnt be until the end of September. I really dislike misleading anyone, however, if I answer no, they probably won't even consider my application.

I am currently writing my thesis to finish my masters in international business communication and English business linguistics. Most of my previous work experience is within the field of health insurance/travel insurance though. I am pretty open to most jobs, however, I hope I'll be getting paid for all my time in school ;) We are in the orange county area CA. It seems that there are plenty of jobs, but I'm sure there are PLENTY of applicants as well lol ;)

I hope you didn't think I was suggesting to be misleading! I could be wrong, but I did not see anything wrong with pushing the date of availability AND making sure that,

If I got a phone interview, to explain the work authorization stuff straight away. I'm all for being completely honest. blush.gif

You're right that they won't look at your application if you say 'no'. Some won't even look at your application if you say you need sponsorship..it costs them $5k just in filing fees to sponsor and they know it!

OH and in the professional fields of work, background checks won't start until (in most cases) AN OFFER has been made... that means you've got to go through final interviews and all that. Obviously it's not the same for labor work. Which is why I asked what field are you in.

Congrats on the Master's! Seems like you have a solid background. I can only hope that you put it to good use soon! It might take you a while, and you probably have the same feeling, which is why it's good to start ASAP !

Best of luck!

Edited by ibee

March 2012 - Married <3

AOS Concurrent I-130, I-485, EAD
Day 0.....4/03/12 - Package mailed to Chicago via USPS Priority Mail
4/06/12 - Delivered!
Day 7.....4/10/12 - Email Acceptance Confirmation for all 3!
Day 13...4/16/12 - NOAs for I-130, I-485, EAD received in mail.
Day 16...4/19/12 - NOA for Biometrics appointment Received. Scheduled for 4/27/12.
Day 20...4/23/12 - Biometrics appointment completed, early walk-in at different location!
Day 66...6/07/12 - EAD Production!!! Lucky, 2 days before this we submitted a change of address from ND to PA
Day 70...6/11/12 - 2nd EAD Production 6/12/12 - EAD mailed! Interview scheduled for July 13th!

Day 73...6/14/12 - EAD in hand!
Day 82...6/23/12 - We mailed letter to old Office to confirm change of address and cancel our July 13th interview. Received NOA for an Interview scheduled in Philadelphia Office on July 24th!
Day 92...7/03/12 - July 24th interview was cancelled (file did not get in on time). Got NOA for interview on August 9th!
Day129..8/09/12 - INTERVIEW! Received card production email 8hrs later!
8/10/12 - Email NOAs, approved I-130 and I-485!
Day138..8/18/12 - GC DELIVERED!!! Emails received: 2nd card production email on 8/15, card mailed on 8/15, card picked up by USPS on 8/15.

12/13/12 - Filed for divorce 8/2/13 Entered Divorce Decree

ROC

• 1 month later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Just say "yes" if you are really close to getting authorization anyway. By the time they read your resume and respond you'll probably already be able to work.

CR1 / CR2 Visa:

(Day 1) 12/16/11: I-130 Application sent

(Day 283) 09/24/12: Interview at US Consulate – Approved!

(Day 287) 09/28/12: Visa Received & Immediately entered US using Visa

(Day 290) 10/01/12: Social Security Card sent automatically

Removal of Conditions CR1 / CR2
(Day 1) 07/28/14: Application sent.
(Day 135) 12/10/14: ROC Approved!
(Day 143) 12/18/14: 10 year GC received (IR1 / IR2)

Naturalization:
(Day 1) 06/30/15: Application sent.
(Day 210) 01/26/16: Interview and Oath Ceremony. DONE!

***Son and I became US Citizens 01/26/16***

(Day 1) 01/27/16: Applied for my U.S. Passport
(Day 14) 02/10/16: Passport Book & Cert of Naturalization received

(Day 1) 03/16/16: Applied for U.S. Passport for son

(Day 22) 04/07/16: Passport book and original docs received...(Card rec'd 04/16/16)

N-600 for child age 9
(Day 1) 01/27/16: Application sent

(Day 12) 02/08/16: NOA received

(Day 23) 02/19/16: Case received at local office

(Day 88) 04/23/16: In line for oath scheduling *Called USCIS to inquire about why there is an oath required for a child under 14. They sent a service request to the field office.

(Day 95) 04/30/16: Received letter from field office to say no oath necessary and that they would mail the certificate.
(Day 106) 05/11/16: Cert of Citizenship received by registered mail (they never sent tracking. case status was never updated either)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.