nanobel

Joint Sponsor

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Do they go by the household income or individual income?

My sister and brother-in-law are sponsoring my in-laws. Individually, they do not qualify (just barely), but they do with their household income.

I've read the instructions for form i-864 a gazillion times and I can't find anything telling me one way or another.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Do they go by the household income or individual income?

My sister and brother-in-law are sponsoring my in-laws. Individually, they do not qualify (just barely), but they do with their household income.

I've read the instructions for form i-864 a gazillion times and I can't find anything telling me one way or another.

you mean they need both incomes? then the petitioner would file the i864 and the spouse the i864A as household member to combine their incomes for each petition, since parents are filed separatly.

Edited by aleful

Filed: Other Timeline

Thank you!

Yes, they would need both incomes. My sister would have made enough, but she has a business and on the books it looks like she broke even. Her AGI was a little over $30,000. They are a family of 4, they have 2 girls. So I figured with her and my BIL it would work out okay.

My brother-in-law is petitioning my in-laws. He has a business and had a very bad year last year since he was getting divorced. They let everything go down the drain, pretty much. So when my parents (in-laws) went to their visa interview they were not granted their visa. They were given a letter that says they were temporarily denied until they get a joint sponsor. The thing is that the letter only has my father-in-law's name on it. So I'm assuming that they only need a sponsor for him? That makes no sense to me, but this is my first experience with a married couple going through this. I've been through it many times with just one spouse, or daughter, etc. I would assume they'd treat them (each parent) as individuals, but then why did mom not get approved, either? I'm so confused as to whether they need a joint sponsor for both parents. :huh: We have tried to call and ask, but no reply.

I'm waiting on both my brother and sister to hand us all the documents we need. Whichever one gets back to us, first, will be the joint sponsor because this is our last week. We've had a hell of a time finding someone who meets all the requirements. You would not believe how many people don't do taxes every year!

On the form they ask for the past 3 tax years. How serious are they about this? In the letter they only request the most recent year.

Thanks again!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.