Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Some info regarding filing form I-865 Sponsor's Notice of Change of Address

2 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

My wife and I moved about 1 month after she received her GC. We knew that she had to file an AR-11 change of address form for her, and I vaguely knew that I had to file a form for change of sponsorship. I was unable to find any instructions here on vj or the web at large, so I just took a shot and sent the I-865 SPONSOR'S NOTICE OF CHANGE OF ADDRESS form in. Here's what happened (The story, scroll down for instructions).

I filled the form out completely, signed and dated. No Letter or attachments were included (mistake!) Following the instructions I sent the form to CSC since we live in California.

About a month later I got an envelope from the National Visa Center. The contents were a form letter, and the I-865 form sent back to me.

The form letter from NVC indicated that they were not able to process the form because there was not proper authorizing information included. It also stated that the form was forwarded from USCIS. "Please resubmit your inquiry including the required information."

The real curious part was the I-865 Form. The original copy that I sent them was sent back to me and was stamped/annotated as follows:

- Stamp: Date/time of receipt at CSC

- Hand written Receipt Number (The wrong one, see below)

- Stamp: COA Update

- Stamp: Action Completed; Approved For filing; Date

If it was approved for filing, why was it sent back to me? The answer is the wrong receipt number was used. The hand written receipt number was for our I-129F. The I-864 form was submitted as sponsorship for AOS (I-485) which has a different receipt number.

So this is how they got confused.

Based on the two mistakes mentioned above and the results of my calls to NVC and USCIS on this issue, here is how I would recommend you prepare your I-865 packet:

- Write a cover leter

- Clearly indicate the Sponsor's Name and DOB

- Clearly indicate the Beneficiary and/or Petitioner's Name and DOB

- Clearly indicate with Receipt Number is being referenced and which form to be updated/referenced:


- Write the letter to explain WHAT and WHY it's being sent:

"I am sending this Form I-865 SPONSOR'S NOTICE OF CHANGE OF ADDRESS because I have moved and need to update my current address. I am currently sponsoring NAME as for REASON..."

- Sign and date the letter.

- Last, clearly list all of the attachments at the end of the letter. Don't forget to include them in the submission :)

-- Original Submission I-865 SPONSOR'S NOTICE OF CHANGE OF ADDRESS, 2 pgs. (This is a resubmission in my case, clearly indicate)

-- Copy of the NOA Form(s) I-797 that correspond to the I-864 being updated

-- Copy of the signed and dated form I-864 being updated (you did make a copy/scan before submitting, right?)

-- Copy of identifying information for Sponsor, including full name and DOB

-- Copy of identifying information for Beneficiary/Petitioner, including full name and DOB

- Address it as indicated in the I-865 instructions. This changes depending on where you are moving to. (In my particular case the original submission went to CSC, the second submission is being sent to National Benefit Center as instructed).

- If you are sending this form via USPS, be sure to sent it Certified Mail w/ Return Receipt (two separate forms; both are green). Yes it means going to the post office and waiting in line, but it's worth it when you get that green card in your mailbox to letting you know that it was received. Because it is just a change of address form there is no reason to expect any reply whatsoever from USCIS.

This should cover all the bases. Additionally it should cover a re-submission, as is my particular case.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow! I've submitted the I-865 twice and simply sent the form alone by regular mail without issue.

Sounds like you've got it covered now.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318


PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.